Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone have any input on these Hong Kong horror dvds?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Anyone have any input on these Hong Kong horror dvds?

Old 07-04-01, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would appreciate some thoughts or reviews on the following films. I would also be interested in other titles you could reccomend. I am especially interested in dark fantasies, movies featuring strong relationship, and dark comedies. NOTE: I already have Bride with White Hair 1 & 2.

Horror:
Tell Me something (really want info after hearing about weird plot)
Bio-Cops
1:00AM
Horoscope
Horoscope 2
Temegotchi
A Wicked Ghost
Till Death Do We Scare
Black Blood
Daughter of Darkness

Thanks for any help that's given.

[Edited by MrDeets on 07-06-01 at 10:19 AM]
Old 07-04-01, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I haven't seen any of the others listed, but I've seen Evil Dead Trap. I don't think it's a HK dvd or film. Isn't it Japanese? I'm too lazy to look. In any case I believe the DVD is a domestic Region 1 release. It's an ok movie - nothing in common with Evil Dead aside from the name. It's about a nosy female reporter (aren't they all?) who investigates this warehouse and everyone gets killed. It drags at times, but has a few genuine moments that make it worth watching. I'd suggest renting, but if you can buy it for around $10, I'd go for it.
Old 07-04-01, 09:26 PM

Check the reviews that have lots of screen caps at http://www.brns.com
The defunct asiandvdguide used to link to the reviews on that site, and the reviewers admit their biases. (i.e. like myself, one reviewer will watch anything with Chingmy Yau.)

There are two Imps, one '80's ghost story and another adult-oriented(Category III = hard R) horror story with Diana Pang Dan. Have both of these and Horoscope 2 but haven't watched all the way through yet. You might want to check out the review of "The Seventh Curse" with Chow Yun Fat, another one on my unwatched pile. Damn I'm so far behind. Watched X-Imp on fast fwd and it looked really lame despite the cool cover.

One of the classics is "The Untold Story" with Anthony Wong who earned a best actor award in HK. A.W. is also in "Erotic Nightmare," and falls under the spell of a sorcerer who controls him through some very very erotic dreams.

Old 07-04-01, 11:51 PM

Bio-Zombie starts off fine, with two slackers who work at a video store conniving to get money, to pay a debt, by any means possible. It becomes straight horror after they come into contact with biohazard material.
The Seventh Curse has Chow Yun Fat as Wisely, an adventurer who shows up at the start, then gets a chance to get into the action at the battle at the end, where everything is tossed in the mix, including a bazooka that Wisely uses. Maggie Cheung is good as a reporter who will do almost anything to get the story, including knocking out a nurse to take her place at a police siege.
You might like the Legend of Wisely, with Sam Hui. The story is offbeat and the photography by Peter Pau (who just won an Academy Award for CTSD) is super.
Old 07-05-01, 12:42 AM
Cool New Member

I've only seen Imp and Horrorscope 2.

Imp is a fun little horror movie doesn't make much sense but I enjoyed it and it's worth the $6US or so you'd pay for it.

Horrorscope 2 is terrible. Can't remember much about it except being bored and that nudity thats implied looking at the DVD cover never materialises.

Old 07-06-01, 04:55 AM

Bio-Zombie

Bio-Zombie is actually a pretty cool flick. It's a lot of fun, and has some really creative direction and a great sense of humor. You can read some more about it, including viewer comments, at HKFlix.com.
-Mhat
Old 07-06-01, 12:16 PM

Thanks to everyone. For those who want to know, I'm about to place an order for Chinese Ghost Story, Bride with White Hair 2(I only have it on VHS right now), The Imp, Erotic Nightmare, and Troublesome Night. I would still appreciate feedback on the titles I left on the list and ideas of what films you think are good that fall into the same category as I'm assured to make another order in the really near future (involving Bio-Zombie). Then, maybe I can start helping some of you out after a couple of times . I know this is weird to go with this list, but I'm also looking for romances. Not many romantic comedies, but moreover touching dramas.

[Edited by MrDeets on 07-06-01 at 10:21 AM]