Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Cowboy BeeBop

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-01, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is this series? I really liked Princess Mononoke, would I like this? Are they similar?

thanks for any info.
Old 07-03-01, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are they similiar? Not at all, except that they're both animated. Will you like it? I don't know, but I loved this series.

This series has great characters, stories, music, animation and a good balance of drama and humor for my liking. This is the first anime series I've ever watched and I liked this more than others I've seen (Evangelion, Trigun.)
I found everthing about this series to be great.

A friend of mine whom I watched this with commented on how there wasn't enough stories that would advance the plot and how most of the episodes were just "filler". It's true that only a handful of episodes out of 26 advance the main plot, but I found the filler episodes to be quite entertaining, my favorite being Mushroom Samba on the 4th DVD.

I say pick up the first DVD. The first 4 sessions on that DVD will give you a taste of the characters and the tone of the series. The 5th episode on the first DVD will show you a hint of what the plot is throughout the other 5 DVD's. Even if you decide after watching the first DVD that you don't like it, you'll be able to trade it away without any problems to someone on this forum.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-05-01, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
If you liked Princess Mononoke... well, good for you...that technically doesn't mean a lot (know lots of anime haters who loved that film.) That being said, You will probably like Cowboy Bebop, it seems to have the widest appeal of any anime out there, and for good reason - it's extraodinarly made. While it is true that the story is not a full arc (as many people expect a 26 episode anime series to be) it works in to the benefit of the series. In many anime series, episodes are put in (fillers) just to get the series to 26 episodes, this is not the case in Bebop. Instead, the episodes that would technically be considered filler, add to the personalities of each individual (usually) and are amazingly entertaining. In a sense, it is like the cartoon Batman (newer series/Beyond), each episode has it's own beginning, middle, and end - however - this series is quite a bit more realistic. Each episodes are clumped, to where each seems to have their own main character. (Which, I might add, Ein got ripped off in this deal, heh). It is an extremely well done series with outstanding art, stories, music, and pacing along with one of the best anime endings to date. It comes highly recommended, and most people have to find at least a little something to enjoy about it- and as a side note - Batman could learn a thing or two from the episode Pierret La Fou, you'll know what I mean if you ever see it - excellent, excellent episode.

...that was one long paragraph, think i'll shutup now - grab the first disc - ep 1 is good, 2 is bleh, 3 is excellent, 4 is entertaining, and 5 will have you craving more, and it only gets better from there.

-Rich
Old 07-05-01, 07:51 AM

What they said. I enjoy the "filler" episodes. Sometime it's nice to have a break from the main plot. The Mushroom episode is hilarious, one of my favorites.
Old 07-05-01, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hear the whole series is in subtitles? Is that true
Old 07-05-01, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The DVD presents the series with the original Japanese language with optional English Subs or a dubbed English version.