DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Metallica S&M

Old 07-01-01, 11:26 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THIS is why DVD was invented. I spent $10 more than Warehouse Music wanted for the used CD ($27 on-sale new vs $17 for the used CD) and the features are great. Five different camera angles in parts of the video, plus five different soundtracks.

I can listen to:
5.1 band+orchestra
2.0 band+orchestra
2.0 just the band
2.0 just the orchestra

It is pretty fun to watch the "just the orchestra" version while the crowd is headbanging and rocking out.

Also has a 40min making-of feature and bonus tracks beyond what is on the audio cd.

WOW, I actually bought somthing I was delighted with.

--------------------

Only 99 more days till the Godfather hits DVD
Old 07-02-01, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,171 Likes on 4,201 Posts
Actually, I was sorta disappointed with this one. The sound isn't that great, and they really dropped the ball with the extra mixes. YOU CAN'T CHANGE THEM ON-THE-FLY!!!! I would think the main reason you would have those other tracks is so that you can suddenly drop the band or drop the orchestra, but as it is you have to stop the concert, go back to the menus and change the audio choice -- very lame! The behind-the-scenes doc is nice, though. I'll agree that the DVD is way preferable to the CD. I wonder why it's on two DVD though, it should have easily fit on one disc.
Old 07-03-01, 12:48 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Decker
Actually, I was sorta disappointed with this one. The sound isn't that great, and they really dropped the ball with the extra mixes. YOU CAN'T CHANGE THEM ON-THE-FLY!!!! I would think the main reason you would have those other tracks is so that you can suddenly drop the band or drop the orchestra, but as it is you have to stop the concert, go back to the menus and change the audio choice -- very lame! The behind-the-scenes doc is nice, though. I'll agree that the DVD is way preferable to the CD. I wonder why it's on two DVD though, it should have easily fit on one disc.
I am a dvd newbie (this was my first concert dvd), and these features blew me away, but you are right, it would be a lot better to be able to switch between audio tracks on-the-fly. Cant comment on the sound quality, I live in a small apt and cant turn it up very loud. I listen through my tiny $180 bookshelf "office" stereo. It is adequite for that setup.

Old 07-03-01, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,171 Likes on 4,201 Posts
Welcome to our world!
Some cool DVDs with similar features include:

Dave Matthews Band - Listener Supported (great surrounds, multiple angles)

Sarah Maclachlan - Mirrorball (mellow, but nice sound, multiple angles)

Eurythmics - Peacetour (angles on 2 songs, hour-long documentary)

Santana & Friends (awesome picture, nice sound, documentary, music videos)

Steely Dan - Two Agaist Nature (no features, but the best music surround track I've ever heard in DTS)

Pearl Jam - Touring Band (terrible picture, but nice sound, videos, tour montage)

Beastie Boys : Criterion (not a concert disc, but a 2-disc video anthology with lots of alternate angles and alternate sound mixes that you can change on the fly; so much fun to play around with even if you hate the band)

Well, maybe there are a few listed here that you might be interested in. Enjoy.