Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

[Review] China Strike Force (HK) - Action

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

[Review] China Strike Force (HK) - Action

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-01, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I recieved a shipment of 30 DVDs from DDDHouse today and this film was included - I popped it in second because someone was curious to know what I'd think of it...

I liked this film. The comparisons to Gen-Y Cops are going to litter this review... Not that it's the same as that film, but there are a few similarities. Half of this film is in English and unlike Gen-Y Cops, the english spoken here is natural and appropriate. Marc Dacascos turns out a great performance as a bad guy alongside Coolio of all people. Coolio wasn't bad either. It's a stupid, mindless action flick and to take it seriously would be a mistake. This film delivers on the action - there's some really great stunts in it. It's not a CGI laiden film, which is good as I am getting sick of computer effects. I wouldn't put this film in my top 10 HK action flicks, but it's probably in the top 20 maybe 15.

It doesn't really matter what China Strike Force is about, because if you watch a film like this and focus on the plot too much - you'll be shaking your head. It's alot like a Jackie Chan film, but without a Jackie Chan. Basically it's about Coolio shipping drugs into China and the cops who try to stop it. The pacing for this film is sporatic and it drags at times just as much as it explodes into an action fury. Overall though - it's easy to follow and somehow manages to keep your attention (mine anyway). The acting is decent for an action film and the characters are interesting enough - although there's nobody to really root for except for the 2 supercops who deliver sometimes stiff performances and don't really offer much personality.

The film's ending is amazingly stupid, but it's still entertaining nonetheless. Nothing any more outrageous than what can be seen in the US release Con Air. There are a few other stunts that defy gravity and believeability, but yet I still enjoyed watching nonetheless.

The DVD is great - the transfer is clean, but a little washed out - I had to adjust my TV a little. It's about on par with the Tokyo Raiders HK release. The sound is great too - it includes Cantonese DD5.1 AND DTS & Mandarin DD5.1 AND DTS. I watched in Cantonese DTS. The DTS was great - it was very powerful and clear. I think the source was analog though because during very quiet scenes you could hear a little tape-hiss. It's still the best way to listen. They know how to do DTS mixes over there. The subtitles are a little small, but very clear and appear inside the "Black Bars" for the most part leaving the image alone. The subtitles are fairly accurate, except for when they subtitle what Coolio says - it's hilarious to read what they thought Coolio was saying. That's another thing - they still haven't figured out to NOT subtitle english dialogue. Marc Dacascos speaks english better than I do and Coolio is easier to understand than the subtitles would have you believe. They totally misinterpret about half of what he says. It's funny... It also includes a Making Of featurette - some of which is in english and some of which is in Cantonese (not subtitled - grr). It's basically clips from interviews strewn together in front of an ambiant soundtrack and mixed in with clips from the film and some behind the scenes footage. There's also an action sequence that never appeared in the film (and it should have! - WOW)... some of it is informative and some of it is interesting... it's pretty standard, but a good addition nonetheless. The cover is printed on shiny metallic paper also which looks kinda cool.

I have to highly recommend this disc - it's not the best film, but it's certainly a must-have. Some people haven't liked it, but I was certainly not disappointed. It's a stupid action movie - but I don't watch action movies to learn about the world - I watch them to be entertained. This film delivers and it's not so stupid that you can't enjoy it (like Gen-Y Cops).

Reasons to own this disc:
1. The DVD is fantastic
2. Marc Dacascos kicks ass!
3. Coolio doing kung-fu
4. Unbelievable car chase scene that blows away the formula racing on city streets scene in Stallone's Driven
5. Because I said so.

Ratings:
Movie - 7.9
DVD - 8.2
Seen on: DeltaMac DVD

Highly Recommended
Old 06-26-01, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the deleted action scene about?

I agree about that car chase - WOW! And there are one or two incredible stunts where people leaf off of buildings/bridges in one continuous shot that were cool. However, the fights were pretty lame imho. Surprising for a director who has worked with Jackie Chan so often.

Thanks for the review.
Old 06-26-01, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What about Won-Jun Kim? I hate you for getting this early!
Mine should be here Saturday.. Can't wait
Old 06-27-01, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ipkevin
What is the deleted action scene about?
It's too dope to describe. Dude jumps through the air and lands a kick to the dude driving the formula 1 car... and everything is on fire! Actually - I don't want to give it away - you'll see.
Old 06-29-01, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^up

Anyone else get this yet?
Old 06-29-01, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

:p

Nope. I am twitching just thinking about it.
Old 06-29-01, 09:12 PM

can't be arsed Got Bichunmoo instead. Probably I'll fall foul and get this naff film sooner or later. Can't say I'm in a rush to own it.
Old 06-30-01, 09:09 PM

Movie

It's a fun little action movie, but Stanley Tong can't direct much other than action. Good to hear the dvd is decent. How did you guys feel about his wire work in this one? I thought it was so comically inept that it ruined alot of the action scenes. I'm for wirework, but not poorly done wirework. It would seem a few of the newer actors are not especially well trained, if at all on wires
Old 06-30-01, 09:43 PM

It was just a very weak year which churned out some right stinkers come christmas time, however this year seems to have a few decent films out. Shaolin Soccer kickstarts the Summer IMO (although Love on a Diet did, but it ain't exactly action is it.). Some good DVDs coming in the next couple of months then.
Old 06-30-01, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought some of the wirework was really good and some of it was obvious. I didn't think it was as bad as the wirework on Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - but perhaps I'm the only person who thought that wirework looked bad... it looked like the actors were suspended instead of flying.
Old 06-30-01, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

:(

Anyone else have any problems with this DVD?

I know it was recalled and reissued. My Toshiba 2109 stalls and won't access most of the menus

I can get the movie to run with a bit of hassle.
Old 07-01-01, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hadn't heard of a recall - I thought the release date was pushed back... is this why? I had no problems at all - and I have a region free Toshiba 2109
Old 07-01-01, 11:55 AM

Recall

It was never recalled, the first pressing was however trashed due to a pressing defect. It was not released to resellers at that point however.
Old 07-02-01, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
I hadn't heard of a recall - I thought the release date was pushed back... is this why? I had no problems at all - and I have a region free Toshiba 2109
Still can't see making of or the trailer

Did you 2109 start out as R1?
Old 07-02-01, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by axolotls return
Originally posted by Trigger
Still can't see making of or the trailer

Did you 2109 start out as R1?
Yup - it did. Bought a chip and had a VCR repair place install it. My player freezes up on lots of discs - it's really annoying.