Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Original Gremlins Release-Review Wanted

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Original Gremlins Release-Review Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-01, 01:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Title says it all. I know a re-release is on it's way, but the actual disk will be the same (besides, I like the original artwork better!) Also, does anyone know the OAR? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-23-01, 01:39 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I own the original, and its a great Disk. I havn't really watched it in a year or do, but its a really good movie and DVD. Wish a SE would come...or atleast the sequal.
Old 06-23-01, 02:01 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OAR: 1.85:1

Also contains two trailers to the movie (the re-release trailer is hysterical) and the trailer to GREMLINS 2: THE NEW BATCH. Image and audio quality is simply average, but definitely worth picking up. And I agree, the new artwork sucks...
Old 06-23-01, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The new release won't be changed in any way?
Old 06-25-01, 04:50 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally posted by JazComet:
The new release won't be changed in any way?

Outer packaging only.
Old 06-27-01, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

gremlins was just on cable, it's still hysterical after all these years.
Old 06-27-01, 10:20 AM

I bought the Region 2 Spanish release of this while I was on holiday for 3.000 Pts.

The DVD itself was completely bare-bones. The DVD itself was in English, all the menus were in English language. There was a total of 21 subtitle tracks and three language tracks on that DVD. Couldn't they have taken some of the subtitles off and put some extras on the DVD?

Will the sequel, Gremlins 2: The New Batch get a DVD release in the future?
Old 06-27-01, 05:14 PM
Suspended

I think the image sucks on Gremlins. Ive heard that they will be doing a SE on this film along with Gremlins 2, not just the repackaging you guys are talking about.
Old 06-27-01, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MJKTool
I think the image sucks on Gremlins. Ive heard that they will be doing a SE on this film along with Gremlins 2, not just the repackaging you guys are talking about.
I think "sucks" is a bit harsh, but there is definitely room for improvement. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember some color bleed and other issues. Pretty watchable, though -- and a minor improvement over the LaserDisc.

Back about a year ago at one of the "Studio Day" events, Warner announced that they were doing a Special Edition version of Gremlins and Gremlins 2: The New Batch for 2001.

The fact that they are going to re-issue the same ol' disc in a new package this fall (and have not announced Gremlins 2) seems to indicate that those plans may be on hold for a while...
Old 06-27-01, 05:21 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by bboisvert
Originally posted by MJKTool
I think "sucks" is a bit harsh, but there is definitely room for improvement. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember some color bleed and other issues. Pretty watchable, though -- and a minor improvement over the LaserDisc.
I just put it on a couple weeks ago, and I thought It looked horrible. Really grainy, muddy, soft. Compared to todays standards I think suck does hold up.