Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

HKFlix selling bootleg DVDs

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

HKFlix selling bootleg DVDs

Old 06-22-01, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just thought I'd let you know that your new sponsor HKFlix is selling the bootleg all region Crouching Tiger DVD. Don't know if that's the kind of sponsors you want on the site.
Old 06-22-01, 03:15 PM
Registered

Actually we did some due dilligence on them before bringing them on as a sponsor.

Columbia Tri-Star DID oficially release Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon in Region 3 before it was released in Region 1. The DVD although is said to be Region 3 encoded is NOT encoded and will play on Region 1 players.

There WAS a bootleg CTHD available for sale at some Malaysian retailers which had the DVD listed as THX, that was infact a boot, the one sold at HKFlix is not.

This fact was confirmed with Columbia Tri-Star and published in several news publications/

Old 06-22-01, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ummm, are you talking bout other parts of Asia?

Because the HK Region 3 DVD IS very much region encoded.
Old 06-25-01, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by gkleinman
Actually we did some due dilligence on them before bringing them on as a sponsor.

Columbia Tri-Star DID oficially release Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon in Region 3 before it was released in Region 1. The DVD although is said to be Region 3 encoded is NOT encoded and will play on Region 1 players.

There WAS a bootleg CTHD available for sale at some Malaysian retailers which had the DVD listed as THX, that was infact a boot, the one sold at HKFlix is not.

This fact was confirmed with Columbia Tri-Star and published in several news publications/
I don't ever remember Columbia Tri-Star ever going on the record and saying that their Region 3 release could play on Region 1 players. How do you explain the many Region 3 releases that actually are Region 3. Maybe they are the bootlegs?
Old 06-25-01, 03:20 AM
Registered

CTHV never went on record to say thier Region 3 CTHD was playable on Region 1, it was someting that was discovered.

Which is a moot point now since the R1 CTHD has been released.

When it comes to imported DVDs, bootlegging is always a concern. This is why the companies we are talking to in this space are for the most part US Based and have to adhere to the standards and practices of a US Company. Not that there aren't some good e-taiers in Hong Kong and Malasya (many DVD Talk members have had good experiences with DDDhouse.com and other asian e-tailers).

The past few weeks I've been doing a lot of research on HK DVDs and it's been a real education. The three HK DVD US E-tailers I've had contact with: HKFlix, Poker Industries, and DVDAsain, all seem very focused on bringing good legit product into the US for customers interested in Asian cinema. I've placed orders with several of them and so far the product I've gotten has been factory sealed, brand new, legit product.

Old 06-25-01, 07:28 AM
Mod Emeritus

<b>renalco</b>, I'm curious, will your second post to these forums be a retraction?

Or will we never again hear from anyone posting under that name?
Old 06-25-01, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by benedict
<b>renalco</b>, I'm curious, will your second post to these forums be a retraction?

Or will we never again hear from anyone posting under that name?
Your 2nd option seems like the most obvious scenario for this poster.
Old 06-25-01, 11:31 AM
Mod Emeritus

<b>renaldow</b>,
Old 06-25-01, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My HK copy will definitely NOT play on an unmodified player. I have no idea where this came up, but it's just not true (at least the pressing I have).