Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

The Contender, Men Of Honor and Proof Of Life?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

The Contender, Men Of Honor and Proof Of Life?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-01, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone got thoughts or ideas on these movies, Thinking of buying all but want straight talking, honest comments, please!!
Old 06-17-01, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"...want straight talking, honest comments..."

...uhh... of the kind: "this movie is suckkk" or "this movie is awesome"? Everyone who has an opinion at all, will 'talk straight'... I doubt anyone who thinks that movie XXXXXX stinks, or that the DVD of that movie received a disgraceful transfer, would be dishonest enough to tell you "go out and buy XXXXXX immediately" and/or "this is the number one DVD in my collection"... but, then, I may be very much mistaken about that... probably am...

...sigh...

. . .
Old 06-17-01, 06:13 AM

So you do not give your own thoughts then, I better go and search the web for sensible answers then!
Old 06-17-01, 08:39 AM

Here is a reiw site that does a very good. Just type name in movie box at left of page and hit your < enter key >.

Good Luck
Saintsfan

[Edited by SAINTSFAN on 06-17-01 at 09:59 AM]
Old 06-17-01, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...well, it ain't all that 'new' seeing as how they have "1217 reviews listed"...

. . . . . .
Old 06-18-01, 12:39 PM
Banned

I have Men of Honor. It's basically a by-the-numbers film, which is disappointing, because it had the potential to be so much more. However, the performances from Gooding and De Niro are fantastic (even if De Niro's character was completely fictional), and the cinematography is beautiful. Some of the dialogue is awfully stitled, and can make you cringe at times, but it's still better than the majority of what is being released these days. Great score, too. ***/*****

"So what's for chow, cookie?"
"Let me guess...you were captain of the swim team, weren't you? You and your girlfriend used to practice the BREAST STROKE!!"
"SAY IT LIKE YOU GOT A PAIR!!!"
Old 06-21-01, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Proof of Life" was a great DVD movie.

"Proof of Life" was a great DVD movie. My wife and I rented it last night. We did not see it when it came out in the movie theater six months ago.

The movie was very well acted and the theme of the movie scared me because I am taking my family to Mexico in a month. People really do get kidnapped. Thank goodness I am not rich.

Watch the "Making of" the movie. I learned how hard it is to make a movie in another country. The rain, snow, mountains, roads and riots gave the director, film crew and actors unique problems to overcome. This made me have more respect for those who make movies.
Old 06-24-01, 05:25 AM
Banned Multiple Personalities

I have the Contender & would recommend it especially if you are a fan of political thrillers or The West Wing .
Old 06-24-01, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
I bought The Contender sight-unseen, watched it once and sold it immediately. It scores high marks for performances and overall presentation. However, it features a remarkably ill-advised plot twist, an ending that is far too chimerical for a serious film of this nature, and contains too damn much ultra left-wing propoganda from the filmmaker.