Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Can we end Shaggytalk?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Can we end Shaggytalk?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-01, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Geoff and mods it seems that other has turned into a 3-ring circus. Full of the antics of a certain group of posters. It was of course fueled by Shaggy999. I hate to call out one particular person because he alone isn't innocent. But this is where it began.

He told us stories, possibly true and possibly false...I won't guess, that entertained many members. Some people liked to laugh at how bad it sounded while others, like myself gave him some advice.

Time after time the advice was ignored and the antics continued. Elaborate stories asking for advice. A few threads where he admited that he was just trying to get a rise out of the other and Bushdog (I think) told him not to do that.

Why does other have to be littered with these threads. He posts it under the guise of asking for advice. People like to laugh at what's going on. The front page is full of "Shaggy" threads started by him and other members.

I'm not saying that there isn't a place for personal threads. I like it when people ask for advice. I like to be able to come and ask advice. But when I ask I take it. I don't make my life into some soap opera that is encouraged by other members.

Don't take away the right to post personal thread. But at least can there be a purpose for them besides heckling? Can we maybe limit the amount that propogate the forum? Shaggy is such a hot topic, why not an Official Shaggy thread where the ongoing saga can take place?

I'm not sure there is a suitable solution to this but it is quickly become a decisive issue in other. People are responding more crudely in the shaggy threads. There seems to be more of them. And members have left other fueled by disgust in things like this.
Old 06-16-01, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed
Old 06-16-01, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm trying to bring everything back in balance guys. While there is certainly nothing wrong with member's interest in another member, too many threads on any subject make for a bad forum experience for most people.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 06-16-01, 10:05 AM
Banned

maybe a shaggy forum?
Old 06-16-01, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So if we limit Shaggy threads, what's to stop the limiting of any type of thread about any member? If you don't like reading a certain thread, don't read it. It's not rocket science.

The only thing keeping said threads on page 1 is people hijacking it and posting things about dinosaurs and health shakes. If that stops, the threads drift to the bottom like any other.

Personally, I don't care about basketball, and could ask the same thing in here about limiting or controlling any of the basketball related threads that have been popping up lately. Would that be reasonable? Of course not. Neither is asking that Shaggy threads be limited.
Old 06-16-01, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by renaldow
Personally, I don't care about basketball, and could ask the same thing in here about limiting or controlling any of the basketball related threads that have been popping up lately. Would that be reasonable? Of course not. Neither is asking that Shaggy threads be limited.
Apples and oranges.
Old 06-16-01, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So if we limit Shaggy threads, what's to stop the limiting of any type of thread about any member? If you don't like reading a certain thread, don't read it. It's not rocket science.
Correct me if I'm wrong. Here is the difference. I post the occasional personal thread. Other people post occasional personal threads. I post and help other people out. Shaggy999 posts in his own threads. That is basically it. Tell me when he has helped you out? When did you see him in the latest debate thread? Sports thread? Even a poll thread? Possibly occasionally.

My point is that there is contributions and there are leeches. I think it's safe to say that the majority of people are getting tired of the Shaggy dominance.

I think the guy is probably a nice great guy. But there is appropriate and there's inappropriate. I'm not one for censoring but enough is enough.
Old 06-16-01, 02:15 PM
Mod Emeritus

If Shaggy kept his shaggy-related posts down to one a day then we couldn't really blame him if the front page was full of posts started by or about him.

To be honest, I'm not much bothered about Shaggy's own threads aside from when each separate part of his day gets its own title. They make me smile and are further up the ladder than conpadulations etc. etc.

But it does get kind of mad when everyone and his dog (no pun intended) starts up threads with "Shaggy" in the title - even though I readily admit that some of these are also pretty funny.

It is just a bit like those times when there are huge numbers of sports-related threads, or whatever, staring you in the face: on the face of it, it narrows down what one can chose to read from page one.

<small>And, yes, I know one <i>can</i> (and I <i>do</i>) click through to pages two, three, four etc.</small>
Old 06-16-01, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So if we limit Shaggy threads, what's to stop the limiting of any type of thread about any member?
Absolutely. This is not about any specific member, this is about overkill on one topic. Everything need not be personal.
Old 06-16-01, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Bushdog
So if we limit Shaggy threads, what's to stop the limiting of any type of thread about any member?
Absolutely. This is not about any specific member, this is about overkill on one topic. Everything need not be personal.
Bushy elaborate please.
Old 06-16-01, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I would like to request that some members not worry about this so damn much. Step back and think about it guys -- is it really such a big deal that he has 4 or 5 threads on the main page? Just ignore him.

Old 06-16-01, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Drink 'Til She's Cute
I would like to request that some members not worry about this so damn much. Step back and think about it guys -- is it really such a big deal that he has 4 or 5 threads on the main page? Just ignore him.

Not worried just mildly irritated. Life goes on.
Old 06-16-01, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If his threads bother you that much, you should probably just chill out.
Old 06-16-01, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Heh.

Shaggy threads are unbelievable and totally silly. I got tired of reading those threads a long time ago because I found it more difficult to suspend belief for his antics than it took to get through Babblefield Mirth.

But then it became amusing with the hijacking. Even more fun to participate just for sh*ts and giggles. Besides, what else are we all going to do at the office? Work?

BAHAHAHA.

Snork.

Marianne
Old 06-16-01, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Drink 'Til She's Cute

Totally agreed. I think 98.5% of DVD Talkers don't really care. But there's a few that do. I wouldn't want to see anyone or anything censored due to a vocal minority. This is reminiscent of the Reagan era Moral Majority hearings.

Old 06-16-01, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by ?
Apples and oranges.
Not even. It all comes down to threads available to read. Some people like reading basketball threads, others do not. Some people like reading Shaggy threads, others do not. When I see 8 basketball threads on the 1st page, do I come here and complain about it? No. I make the decision simply to not read them and read only the threads that interest me.

I suggest others do the same.
Old 06-16-01, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Alyoshka
I post and help other people out. Shaggy999 posts in his own threads. That is basically it. Tell me when he has helped you out? When did you see him in the latest debate thread? Sports thread? Even a poll thread? Possibly occasionally.

My point is that there is contributions and there are leeches.
He does post on other parts of DVD Talk, and I wouldn't call him a leech by any stretch of the imagination. There are plenty of leeches here at DVD Talk, most of them do not post a single word.

If it all comes down to 'when has he helped you out,' I'm afraid most of the DVD Talkers would be doomed. Personally, I can't remember Jules Winfield ever helping me out*, should we limit what he can post too?

*OK, there was the time when I needed some ass mentoring in the bathroom, but his advice was bad.
Old 06-16-01, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok I don't think we are talking about censorship. I am just saying, hey its great you want to share your details about your life but hey less is more.

I just think a little less would be nice, thats all.
Old 06-16-01, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This isn't censorship. He can say whatever he wants, but I ask that he do it in a handful of threads, not a new thread for every single twist and turn that his story takes.

I don't think that is unreasonable.
Old 06-16-01, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This isn't censorship. He can say whatever he wants, but I ask that he do it in a handful of threads, not a new thread for every single twist and turn that his story takes.

Thanks Bushy. I think that is all that is needed. I don't want the guy banned or anything, just Shaggy in moderation.
Old 06-17-01, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't mind the threads, but I do mind that fact that having five on the front page pushes off other things that are just as cool to read about...
Old 06-17-01, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by KnightSkywalker

Thanks Bushy. I think that is all that is needed. I don't want the guy banned or anything, just Shaggy in moderation.
Exactly, I don't think it is as big of a deal as a few comments in here made it out to be. I guess it goes with the whole drama of it. Different strokes for different folks--I respect that.

Thank you Bushdog!
Old 06-17-01, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Shaggy is a super cracka but I aint bothered by what he writes. But if all he really posts is about himself and his sex-capades than maybe it is a good idea to just post one thread titled "Shaggy's Sex Capades" where he can tell you about the latest 79 year old woman who hit on him and what magazine he's amsterbating to this week(I hear it's Mad Magazine.). There you go, Shaggy, I even named the thread for you, bee-yotch!!!
Old 06-18-01, 09:26 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Let the boy post his posts. They entertain me. Don't do "The One And Only Shaggy Thread". His threads are much more useful than the 20 million Lakers threads .
Old 06-18-01, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by AndyCapps
. . .Don't do "The One And Only Shaggy Thread". . . .
Why not? He can post just as much as he did before, just in a handful of threads.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.