Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Stargate SG-1 Season 1?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Stargate SG-1 Season 1?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-01, 12:12 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been watching this show a lot lately and been wondering if I should get the box set that just came out

So first off.. I'm not a diehard fan or anything.. so is it really worth the $70? Do they sell each disc seperate or is it box set only? Does it happen to be widescreen even though the show isn't? Is it 5.1 audio or plain tv sterio?

Just wondering if it's worth adding to my buy it someday list

Also, what season is the show in now? All I've ever seen are what looks like scattered reruns

[Edited by necros on 06-14-01 at 10:19 PM]
Old 06-15-01, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes, it's shot in 16x9, and is released that way on the discs. I don't have the kind of eye (or system!) to tell you much more than that, but it looks and sounds great to me.

In terms of bang-for-your-buck, a full 21-episode season for under $70 is one of the best TV series deals out there. And it's a solid, entertaining and generally well-done show. There are a couple klinker episodes, at least, but far fewer than say the first season of ST-TNG... Considered as an action/adventure series rather than hard scifi, it holds up extremely well.

I only watched the series hit-and-miss before getting the box, and I'm extremely happy. I watch all the new eps now, and I'm sure I'll get the whole series.
Old 06-15-01, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The series is shown first on Showtime, and then in weekend syndication on local channels. The Showtime eps are about to enter Season 5. I'm not sure whether the syndicated run is fairly current or delayed--and if so, by how much...
Old 06-15-01, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe syndication is about to start into season 4.

On the audio side, the dvd's are in Dolby Pro-Logic. The series didn't start being aired in 5.1 until either season 3 or 4.

This box set is a great deal for the price.
Old 06-15-01, 09:43 AM

I picked up the first 2 disks at k-mart for 9.99/disk. Quite a bargain since you get 4 episodes per disk. Excellent picture quality (and I normally watch this show in HDTV on Shotime HD). These first 2 disks are not dd5.1, though. As has been stated above, this may be because they didn't use DD originally.
At the very least, you should pick up the first disk with the pilot episode. I have only been watching the show consistently for the last year, so seeing the pilot and first few episodes has helped me to better understand the characters and some of the references they make in the current episodes.
Old 06-15-01, 11:45 AM
Suspended

Hmm maybe I'll just go with the single discs.. is there anything special in the box set, like an extra disc with special features.. that I wouldn't get normally?

If it's $10 a disc, I can the box set for $40 instead of $70 if I buy em seperate.. is there anything special to the box set then, other than to be a collectable kinda thing?
Old 06-15-01, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Only the first two discs are available outside the box set. After disc two came out MGM decided to go with complete season sets. Still, for $9 you can check out disc one and see if you like it. If so, half.com it and pick up the box.
Old 07-02-01, 02:39 PM

This weekend I was finally able to watch disks 3, 4 & 5.
On Disk 3, the "NOX" episode, it seems that I don't have
any voice for "Apophis". Is this OK or do I have a
defective disk?
Old 07-02-01, 11:48 PM

dagget,

If I remember correctly, Apophis' voice came very strongly out of my rear speakers when he talked (with glowing eyes). Perhaps you dont have rear speakers? If so, try playing it in stereo not prologic and see if it makes a difference.
Old 07-05-01, 02:36 PM

Stargate SG-1 Season 1 good buy

I did buy the Season 1 boxed set the day it came out. I on the other hand am a hugh fan of the series. I don't have Showtime so I'm just beginning season 4. I found that the boxed set is a must for those who started watching it in the middle of a season. It does have some extras on some of the disks. There is a profile on Major Sam Carter and General Hammond. Also a behind the scenes tidbit. I find that is one of the best DVD purchases I've made in a long time. The sound on my disks are great. True there is not a lot of extras but for any fan of the show, and you don't have to be a big one, it is a great filler in for the beginning of the show because they always seem to make a referrance to those episodes from the first season.