DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Pioneer DVR-A03 dvd recordable drive $749

Startide
06-13-01, 11:48 AM
Well, this is the lowest price for a DVD-R (also does CDRW) that I've found so far. Early birds receiving this are supposed to be Apple and Compaq early-adopter owners with the rest of us receiving it in August. These are region-locked drives (which means DVD you make with it are region-locked) but there is a firmware hack out there already to help you overcome any problems.

Pioneer DVDR $749 (http://www.shopharmony.com/secure/products.asp?ItemID=DVRA03)

I have not purchased from this company before; if you buy early, you will probably get a new unit and not a return that was repackaged to look like new.

Jason Northrup
06-13-01, 12:08 PM
I wouldn't chance buying from them:

http://www.resellerratings.com/vendone.cgi?Harmony

Startide
06-13-01, 06:11 PM
Yeah, that is a problem with places that price their stuff lower priced. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, if you buy early, you will probably get a new unit and not a return that was repackaged to look like new.

Anyways, I will not be ordering from this company, but am waiting for it to drop to a point (below $500 or so) where I can put it in an external box and then it can make the "rounds". Back when CDR drives were $900 each, a group of us pooled our money together and bought one. The external box was big enuf to hold the CDR drive and scsi hard drive (to store the images as well as giving ample room to let each other see what we were working upon). The drive stayed with each person for anywhere from a few days to weeks at a time as needed and thus we all got to regularly use an expensive drive for a much smaller amount of money.

belboz
06-13-01, 06:13 PM
Anyone know what exactly is the difference between these "consumer" DVD-R General drives and the "professional" DVD-R drives is?

Jason
06-13-01, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by belboz
Anyone know what exactly is the difference between these "consumer" DVD-R General drives and the "professional" DVD-R drives is?

The A03 writes to general use DVDs, which cannot be used by a pressing plant for mass duplication. Professional, or authoring DVDs, can be accepted by any duplication facility. Pioneer also makes a professional DVD-R which retails for $4500.

Also, general use DVDs cannot be encoded with macrovision.

The A03 is available for $800 from a wide range of respectable vendors, such as Profeel, Videoguys, and DVDirect and is shipping now (although supplies are limited).

[Edited by Jason on 06-13-01 at 06:25 PM]