DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Try to build a server

Kumar J
06-13-01, 01:41 AM
Since the office server has been under repair and the company does not want to repair it, I thought of making it my personal PC.Can I build a personel PC with a server? What can I keep and what I should remove.Its using pentium processor but Japanese OS.

Dave99
06-13-01, 08:26 AM
If the thing works right now, you could probably reformat the drives and install the OS of your choice. It could probably run just about any of the windows line or linux. Why don't you post some of the specs like CPU speed, amount of RAM and how much disk space it has..

Dave

TheyCallHimJim
06-13-01, 09:01 AM
Yeah, it should work just fine as a "normal" computer. The only possible problems could be that if it's a "proper" server machine, it might be difficult to expand in the future; some server machines are lacking in features that consumer-level machines have as standard like IDE controllers and stuff like that. But if you just intend to take the whole machine and use it as it is, there shouldn;t be any problems with it.

Kumar J
06-13-01, 06:59 PM
Under repair means, I can start it, but nothing comes to the screen, and I thought of replacing the processor to a newer one, cause this manchine is like 4 years old and the HDD was just 3 MB. It has no sound card seems like I will have to replace the motherboard and also the HDD and get new memories. For OS I thought of Windows 2000.All the mouse and keyboard parts are not IBM compatible.
Is it worth it to use still use this machine, or construct a new one?

mikehunt
06-13-01, 07:26 PM
sure that wasn't 3<b>G</b>B

Originally posted by Kumar J
Under repair means, I can start it, but nothing comes to the screen, and I thought of replacing the processor to a newer one, cause this manchine is like 4 years old and the HDD was just 3 MB. It has no sound card seems like I will have to replace the motherboard and also the HDD and get new memories. For OS I thought of Windows 2000.All the mouse and keyboard parts are not IBM compatible.
Is it worth it to use still use this machine, or construct a new one?

einTier
06-13-01, 07:46 PM
If it won't POST (give the BIOS boot screen), it's probably a motherboard problem. You should at least get a memory check or something. Try disconnecting everything -- including the memory -- except for the video card. See if it POSTs that way. If not, try replacing the video card with a known good unit. If it still doesn't work, the motherboard is hosed. If it POSTs at any time, try replacing parts until it doesn't POST anymore. Replace the component that causes it to fail, problem solved.

If it's a motherboard problem, I'd say scrap it. Motherboards for servers tend to be VERY propritary, and will cost you an arm and a leg from the manufacturer -- if you can get it at all. Still, you could probably pull everything else from it and build a new computer in a new case, for the cost of a case and a standard motherboard.

Kumar J
06-13-01, 09:32 PM
Sorry Mikehunt, was my mistake 3 GB and I think its the motherboard, thats gone, thats why I was thinking can I replace the motherboard and add USB port. The Manufacture wants around $700 to replace the parts, not including the service fee.So thats why my company decided to scrap the server.Since this is my first time, I am gonna build a PC, I thought this server will be good.