Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

"V" Miniseries Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-01, 11:09 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, remember "V", with the "Visitors" trying to take over Earth.
There's a review here:
http://www.toldyouso.net/search/deta...l%20MiniSeries

Took 'em a while, but it's finally on dvd.
Old 06-05-01, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved this series. Its on my Wish List
Old 06-06-01, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Sounds great. Any word on when The Final Battle will be released?
Old 06-06-01, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Dave...

I've been looking forward to this one

Old 06-08-01, 12:01 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
This one is indeed on my wishlist. Thanks.
Old 06-28-01, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
I loved this miniseries and have it on preorder. Any reviews of it posted yet?
Old 07-01-01, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I havent seen any reviews, but i picked it up today at bestbuy and watched it for the first time. Thought it was a pretty good miniseries.

Capt
Old 07-02-01, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally posted by CaptDS9E
picked it up today at bestbuy
How much was it there?
Old 07-02-01, 10:40 AM
Banned

It's not suppost to be out yet
Old 07-02-01, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by BRDeckard
It's not suppost to be out yet
It comes out on Tuesday (7/3) -- to find a DVD the weekend before release isn't particularly unusual.

Edited to Add: None of the major sites seem to have reviews up yet. Here's a (sort of) review:

http://www.toldyouso.net/search/deta...l%20MiniSeries

I'm personally curious to see if this was truly filmed in widescreen (as people have said) or if the 1.85:1 ratio is simply a matted TV ratio. I still find it hard to believe that the director filmed a 1983 TV miniseries in widescreen, but maybe I'm wrong. He claims he did -- maybe he was thinking about releasing it theatrically in Europe or something. Anyway, I'm looking forward to finding out.

[Edited by bboisvert on 07-02-01 at 09:50 AM]
Old 07-02-01, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was $15 a BB but i got it for $10 with one of those $5 off phone call survey slips. I thought it came out last week. Guess not. On the back it says open matte version i believe

Capt
Old 07-03-01, 01:39 PM
Suspended

Got it today and already watched the first part. I think they did a great job with it, the video looks really great .. in fact so good you can see how fakey the ships are in a lot of parts that was something I never noticed before

On the back of the box it has the dolby digital logo, but the audio is actually dolby sterio surround or whatever.. but still, it sounds great and there's a lot of good surround parts, especially when there's a lot of laser blasts and stuff

I'd say if you liked the series on tv at all, this is definately worth getting 'Specially since it's only $15

The only complaint I have with it is the disc itself is one of those double-sided types, like Superman and a lot of the older DVDs. First part is side one, second part is side 2. I personally just never liked the double sided discs, I'm always paranoid I'll mess up one of the sides I would have rather it was a 2 disc set, but my guess is it was just cheaper to do it this way
Old 07-03-01, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by CaptDS9E
On the back it says open matte version i believe.
Open matte wouldn't make any sense for this title -- that implies that the film is presented in 1.33:1 TV ratio, without any black bars in place.

I assume that it says that it is "matted". That is, bars have been placed over the 1.33:1 image to create a 1.78:1 image. If that is the case, I'm darn curious why they did this. Obviously it wasn't filmed that way.

Anyone have any side-by-side comparisons?
Old 07-04-01, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

great .. and i forgot where I ordered it from .... i fear deepdiscount ... so, i will get it a week after release
Old 07-04-01, 06:04 PM

I watched about a quarter of each side and thought I'd drop my two cents worth.

I'm leaning toward believing this was filmed at 1.85:1. I'm no expert on the subject, but judging by the head room in most of the shots, I don't believe this is a matted full-screen version. Check out the beginning of chapter five on side A, for example. I could be wrong, though.

Overall, this is an impressive presentation. The video looks terrific, and the audio is good as well, especially considering this is almost 20 years old, and made for television. There have been many major studio feature films that don't look this good on DVD.

As far as the extras, I listend to parts of the commentary and found it interesting. The featurette is pretty dry. I would much rather have seen some new interviews with the cast. Maybe they'll do this for "The Final Battle." And, if I recall correctly (I was in fifth grade at the time), there was a pretty big marketing blitz ("the Visitors are coming in 30 days," etc). It would have been nice to see some of this included as well.

This was a favorite of mine as a kid, and it still stands up as a well written and well acted (for the most part) piece of science fiction. The effects don't really hold up, and some of the clothing and hairstyles are laughable, but this is true of many older titles. It's definatly worth the 15 bucks that you'll pay at most stores.
Old 07-04-01, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.dvdangle.com/reviews/review.php?Id=1734

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/current/screen3.html

[Edited by bboisvert on 07-05-01 at 07:38 AM]
Old 07-05-01, 10:42 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
The image quality is quite lush and clean, but I'm not quite sold on the letterboxing yet (never thought I'd hear myself say that sentence...). I compared the 1.85:1 image on the DVD with my open matte VHS recording of the miniseries. The DVD provides a minute amount of extra image on the left-right sides of the frame, but cuts a healthy portion of the image at the top and bottom margins from what we saw on TV originally. I realize this transfer was supervised lovingly by creator Kenneth Johnson, so I'll have to default to his wisdom but, while some shots look more cinematic from this new framing, other shots seem a little cropped and/or claustrophobic. I was also under the understanding that there were to be more extras (original TV trailers would have been sweet), but all things considered, this is a pretty nice piece of work and I'm utterly pleased to own it!
Old 07-05-01, 01:21 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Can you believe this thing is almost 20 Years Old!

Man, time flies.
Old 07-07-01, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks really good, and the commentary is very informative, too.

It IS letterboxed, looks like matted (Black bars added after the fact) Doesn't look weird.

CFG!
Old 07-07-01, 12:18 PM
Banned

It seems this DVD was made possible by Kenny Johnson's considerable efforts. Yet, in the commentary, he makes it very clear he had little to nothing to do with V: THE FINAL BATTLE.

It might be a long time before we see that title (a great continuation) on DVD.

Such a shame.
Old 07-07-01, 12:38 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Readers of CineSchlock-O-Rama were informed yesterday that I'll be giving away five copies of V thanks to our friends at Warner and some fancy dealing by Geoff. Look for a review next issue.

Before a din of "FLIPPER! FLIPPER!" breaks out. Keep in mind that V was shown over two nights and was truly TWO distinct parts. It's like having a movie on one side of the disc, and it's sequel and extras on the other. No crime at all. It looks and sounds fantastic.
Old 07-09-01, 10:45 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Considering its a TV movie and is almost 20 years old, the quality of the transfer is quite impressive.

Possible spoiler ....

BTW: How bad was the special effect when 'Diana' ate the rat?

I know that it was a tv movie & the budget was minimal and that special effects of the time were quite inferior ... but its still quite amusing to watch!
Old 07-09-01, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wasnt it meant to be the most expensive tv show produced for its time ? Or was that the next series ?

What a great show
Old 02-15-02, 10:13 PM
Banned

Reviews Wanted: V-The Original Miniseries

How good of a DVD is this movie? Special Features etc? How good of a plot does it have?Worth a purchase?
Old 02-16-02, 10:45 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

I highly recommend the disc (both movie and extras) ...
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=2410

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.