Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

New Clockwork Orange DVD reviews?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

New Clockwork Orange DVD reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-01, 02:09 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have a review on the web for this? I've read reviews for all of them but this title.
Old 06-03-01, 08:34 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ask and ye shall belatedly receive!

http://www.dvdangle.com/reviews/review.php?Id=1653

Now please return the favor--where have you found a review for the restored and remastered LOLITA?
Old 06-03-01, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Filmmaker
Ask and ye shall belatedly receive!

http://www.dvdangle.com/reviews/review.php?Id=1653

Now please return the favor--where have you found a review for the restored and remastered LOLITA?
I would assume it's just the same DVD with the same extras but excellent sound and trasnfer
Old 06-03-01, 09:09 PM

Would have been nice to purchase, had Warner made it anamorphic.

Oh well, I guess my money will be going to another title.
Old 06-03-01, 11:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't think we need any more reviews of these discs. All of the discs that have been reviewed have great sound and picture. Only 2001 is anamorphically enhanced, but we knew that. No new extras. It's safe to say this set looks good.
Old 06-04-01, 03:21 PM

For anyone interested in the new Lolita, my review went up today: http://www.dvdmg.com/lolitanew.html We'll post one new Kubrick review each weekday through June 12...
Old 06-04-01, 05:05 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally posted by Suprmallet:
I don't think we need any more reviews of these discs. All of the discs that have been reviewed have great sound and picture. Only 2001 is anamorphically enhanced, but we knew that. No new extras. It's safe to say this set looks good.

The problem with that logic is multi-fold. For instance, did you know that, not only is the 2010 trailer and Arthur C. Clarke interview from 2001's original pressing absent from the new release, but the 2001 theatrical trailer on the new release is a truncated version of the full-length trailer on the original DVD? Wait, I'll beat you to your response--who cares, right? Me, that's who. Additionally, in a DVD world that often appears saturated in missing subtitles on seemingly every MGM title, flickering scenes on CLOSE ENOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND, missing scenes, playback glitches, dropped extras, rampant edge-enhancement, color glitches, etc., it is never safe to assume anything...
Old 06-04-01, 08:09 PM
Banned by request

The problem with that logic is multi-fold. For instance, did you know that, not only is the 2010 trailer and Arthur C. Clarke interview from 2001's original pressing absent from the new release, but the 2001 theatrical trailer on the new release is a truncated version of the full-length trailer on the original DVD? Wait, I'll beat you to your response--who cares, right? Me, that's who. Additionally, in a DVD world that often appears saturated in missing subtitles on seemingly every MGM title, flickering scenes on CLOSE ENOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND, missing scenes, playback glitches, dropped extras, rampant edge-enhancement, color glitches, etc., it is never safe to assume anything...
Um, my logic hasn't been broken by your argument. I said there are no NEW extras. Perhaps you could say the truncated trailer is new, but damn that's nitpicky. Second, all the reviews have said these movie look great. Since the same man did all the remastering on all the movies, that's why I assume they all look good. And I've read several interviews with him recently, and since he hasn't mentioned any problems with a particular film, I can also assume they all look and sound pretty good. And if you're so worried about the extras on the old DVD, go buy a copy used. I've seen used Kubrick DVDs from the old set all over the place. It's not hard to find.
Old 06-04-01, 09:41 PM
Banned

Um, my logic hasn't been broken by your argument. I said there are no NEW extras. Perhaps you could say the truncated trailer is new, but damn that's nitpicky.

It may be nitpicky, but it is also observant of a troublesome fact. It was made clear several weeks ago that the Arthur C. Clarke documentary would not be present on the new disc; however, there was no mention made anywhere of the edited trailer. I realize that a truncated trailer means diddly to you--what I can't understand is why you can't seem to comprehend that it is important to me and others. Call me anal-retentive, whatever--I want all the extras, in full form, that I can get access to. Since Warner didn't admit the trailer would be edited, I might have parted with my old DVD in ignorance, having taken Warner's "no new extras" statement at face value. Please spare me the holier-than-thou lectures about my so-called nitpicky habits and just deal with the fact that my viewing preferences are different from yours.

Second, all the reviews have said these movie look great. Since the same man did all the remastering on all the movies, that's why I assume they all look good. And I've read several interviews with him recently, and since he hasn't mentioned any problems with a particular film, I can also assume they all look and sound pretty good.

Once again, as I alluded to in my previous post, accidents happen in the transfer stage all the time. Lately, quality-control doesn't seem to be one of DVD's strong points. MGM's subtitles, the botched DD 5.1 and DTS tracks on JURASSIC PARKs 1 and 2, the color discrepancies on LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, the misframed shot on Criterion's CHASING AMY (that states in utter falsity that the transfer was supervised by the Director of Photography) etc., etc., etc. Leon Vitali might have approved the transfers, but that's no vote of assurance that Warner won't drop the ball when they transfer his approved interpositive over to DVD. If you feel safe making the assumption that all will be well, I can only hope you're not saddled with a $150-$200 rude awakening...

And if you're so worried about the extras on the old DVD, go buy a copy used. I've seen used Kubrick DVDs from the old set all over the place. It's not hard to find.

If you had taken 10 seconds out of your time and clicked on my DVDTracker link, you would see I already own the previous boxed set. I'm just going to make damn sure that the new set doesn't make any missteps before I part with the old one. As alluded to, I will be keeping my old 2001, with full extras, alongside the new version, with better picture and sound--but thank God I read a review for the new 2001 before I got cocky and sold off the old version. What's inconsequential to you is of paramount importance to me...
Old 06-05-01, 01:47 PM
Banned by request

Um, my logic hasn't been broken by your argument. I said there are no NEW extras. Perhaps you could say the truncated trailer is new, but damn that's nitpicky.

It may be nitpicky, but it is also observant of a troublesome fact. It was made clear several weeks ago that the Arthur C. Clarke documentary would not be present on the new disc; however, there was no mention made anywhere of the edited trailer. I realize that a truncated trailer means diddly to you--what I can't understand is why you can't seem to comprehend that it is important to me and others. Call me anal-retentive, whatever--I want all the extras, in full form, that I can get access to. Since Warner didn't admit the trailer would be edited, I might have parted with my old DVD in ignorance, having taken Warner's "no new extras" statement at face value. Please spare me the holier-than-thou lectures about my so-called nitpicky habits and just deal with the fact that my viewing preferences are different from yours.

Second, all the reviews have said these movie look great. Since the same man did all the remastering on all the movies, that's why I assume they all look good. And I've read several interviews with him recently, and since he hasn't mentioned any problems with a particular film, I can also assume they all look and sound pretty good.

Once again, as I alluded to in my previous post, accidents happen in the transfer stage all the time. Lately, quality-control doesn't seem to be one of DVD's strong points. MGM's subtitles, the botched DD 5.1 and DTS tracks on JURASSIC PARKs 1 and 2, the color discrepancies on LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, the misframed shot on Criterion's CHASING AMY (that states in utter falsity that the transfer was supervised by the Director of Photography) etc., etc., etc. Leon Vitali might have approved the transfers, but that's no vote of assurance that Warner won't drop the ball when they transfer his approved interpositive over to DVD. If you feel safe making the assumption that all will be well, I can only hope you're not saddled with a $150-$200 rude awakening...

And if you're so worried about the extras on the old DVD, go buy a copy used. I've seen used Kubrick DVDs from the old set all over the place. It's not hard to find.

If you had taken 10 seconds out of your time and clicked on my DVDTracker link, you would see I already own the previous boxed set. I'm just going to make damn sure that the new set doesn't make any missteps before I part with the old one. As alluded to, I will be keeping my old 2001, with full extras, alongside the new version, with better picture and sound--but thank God I read a review for the new 2001 before I got cocky and sold off the old version. What's inconsequential to you is of paramount importance to me...
OK, first of all, I never said the documentary and long trailers aren't important. I simply said that Warner said no new extras. I understand that extras are important to you. Extras are important to me. I didn't buy The Princess Bride, waiting for the SE, same with Platoon, and Dogma. I also didn't buy the old Kubrick set because I knew it wasn't up to par. Hell, when I decided not to buy that set there wasn't even a second set announced, I was prepared to wait five years or more to get these films the way they should look. And I didn't mean to put you down or belittle your wants and wishes, I used the phrase "nit-picky" in regards to the argument and not to what you want. I totally agree that in the case of DVD we should have our cake and eat it too. In fact, your arguments about extras have made me consider picking up the old 2001 for the extras, so don't think your arguments are falling on deaf ears. I think what I took to be a spirited argument you took personally, and I apologize for that. I simply stated why I believe I can assume certain things regarding the new Kubrick set.
Old 06-05-01, 03:15 PM
Banned

Fair enough. Truth be told, it was the tone of your original post that started me on the defensive, with your subsequent, seemingly accusatory posts driving me further down that lane. I didn't and don't see the point in your statement that people like me shouldn't seek out reviews of the forthcoming Kubrick Collection simply because evidence indicates that they will be the very model of perfection. Like I mentioned before, if you feel safe with that assumption, bully for you, but I don't and I hope I was able to make clear my reasons for being apprehensive. Sorry things had to get mutually snippy...
Old 06-05-01, 09:30 PM
Banned by request

Hey, no problem. And, in fact, I will be picking up the old 2001 if my local DVD place has it used tomorrow when I get Platoon: SE.
Old 06-05-01, 11:20 PM

I believe that may be the first peacefully settled verbal pissing match in DVD Talk history.
Old 06-06-01, 08:07 PM
Banned by request

In that case, add us to the history books! For the record, I went to the DVD store, and they had Barry Lyndon and The Shining used, but not 2001. I did pick up Sanjuro: CC, L'avventura: CC, and Platoon: SE, though.
Old 06-08-01, 05:12 AM

Originally posted by Suprmallet
In that case, add us to the history books! For the record, I went to the DVD store, and they had Barry Lyndon and The Shining used, but not 2001. I did pick up Sanjuro: CC, L'avventura: CC, and Platoon: SE, though.
You might want to consider searching the bargin fourm for the Columbia House 89¢ Deal. You can get the old 2001 for 5.12 shipped. Probably cheaper than a used one. I will take a few weeks to arrive. You don't have to purchace anything else, just send them a email telling them to cancel the account after you receive it.
Old 06-08-01, 10:34 AM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bizquik
You might want to consider searching the bargin fourm for the Columbia House 89¢ Deal. You can get the old 2001 for 5.12 shipped. Probably cheaper than a used one. I will take a few weeks to arrive. You don't have to purchace anything else, just send them a email telling them to cancel the account after you receive it.
What a waste of money that would be.
Old 06-08-01, 11:10 AM
Sem

Although you guys have smoked the peace pipe already , I'd like to point out that there is a new extra feature on the new Shining disc: Kubrick's daughter commentary for her documentary on making the film. The previous release didn't have the commentary. So, there...
Old 06-08-01, 02:27 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by Sem
Although you guys have smoked the peace pipe already , I'd like to point out that there is a new extra feature on the new Shining disc: Kubrick's daughter commentary for her documentary on making the film. The previous release didn't have the commentary. So, there...
OK, I concede. There are new extras, whether they may be truncated trailers or commentaries for making-of features.
Old 06-09-01, 09:12 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by monkey
Originally posted by bizquik
Well if you read the post above you would see that several people want the old one for the full trailer and the Arthur C. Clarke interview. So maybe not a waste to them.
Old 06-09-01, 11:18 AM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bizquik
Originally posted by monkey
Originally posted by bizquik
Well if you read the post above you would see that several people want the old one for the full trailer and the Arthur C. Clarke interview. So maybe not a waste to them.
I did read the post. I was obviously joking.