Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Jaws

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-01, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is the Jaws DVD?

I'd also like to get opinions on the movie. I saw it years back, and hardly remember it.

Think the movie held up greatly with time?

thanks in advance
theclovur
Old 05-31-01, 04:17 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keeping it simple: One of the finest films ever made....one of the best DVD's available. Buy it, it's a must.
Old 05-31-01, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Great movie, great DVD. Even the special effects (the shark) hold up OK since you don't see him til Act III.
Old 05-31-01, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just watched this a few months ago... First time I had seen it in years... Still holds up well and seeing it in it's proper aspect ratio was a real treat. Go DTS if you have it. Everything I've read about an A/B with the DD track indicates that the DTS track is superior.
Old 05-31-01, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
JAWS = A+

DEEP BLUE SEA = D
Old 05-31-01, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jeffkjoe
JAWS = A+

DEEP BLUE SEA = D
Wow, you rate Deep Blue Sea that highly

They are even thinking of doing a sequel for it (God help us all).
Old 05-31-01, 01:28 PM

Like previous posters said, don't pause to read this, go out and buy this DVD immediately. From a cinematic perspective, this movie is near-perfect. From a DVD perspective, this is a must-have. Not only does it look and sound awesome, but the plethora of bonus features are very interesting and cool.
Old 05-31-01, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The video looks awesome for something that was released on DVD 25 years after it was made. It's also great to see the movie in its original aspect ratio (2.35:1). Some very nice shot compositions. Loads of extras on the DVD too and the sound mix is awesome.
Old 05-31-01, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Ok here is a question. Should I pick up the DTS version if I have the Dolby right now ?
Old 06-01-01, 11:42 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This si directly from DVDFile's A/B comparison of the DD 5.1 and the DTS 5.1 discs:

And now, a word from our own Cliff Stephenson, who has done a comparison between the Dolby Digital and DTS versions (both of which have the same supplements and in our estimation identical video quality).

Cohesion, richness and a real tangible quality are the three ways the DTS 5.1 surround soundtrack improves over the Dolby edition. If it sounds like I'm saying that the DTS is much better than the Dolby Digital version, I am. Comparing the two, the DTS 5.1, encoded at 758kbps, fills up the listening space rather than just encircling it, which is what the Dolby does. This is most apparent with the John Williams score as DTS simply images much more completely. When surround effects happen, either with actual effects or the score, the Dolby version calls attention to itself, sometimes causing me to turn my head and look toward the speaker, fully aware that I just heard the surrounds. Listening to the DTS soundtrack, there is smoother response and panning in all channels, which makes for a more natural feel in the soundtrack that doesn't seem as gimmicky as the Dolby Digital finally ends up being.

There's also a full, rich quality with more detailed layering of effects, dialog and music to the soundtrack on the DTS that is less pronounced on the Dolby disc. Sounds move away from speakers to hover in front, and occasionally above and below for a deep, solid soundfield that carries the listener through the film in a more believable fashion. The Kintner boy's death is especially telling as the crowds of people frantically try to exit the water. During this passage I clearly heard a cue in the John Williams score that I've never heard before. This is surrounded by people's screams and the sounds of people splashing as water laps against the shore. On the Dolby edition, this cue is much more obscured with a mishmash of sounds covering it that are never as refined as they are on the DTS track.

There's also a stronger, tighter bass presence on the DTS track while the Dolby seems to be almost devoid of this low energy. This is apparent right from the get-go as the opening strains of music kick in with a low thud that is missing from the Dolby version almost entirely. This is heard repeatedly throughout with the ominous notes of the score accompanied by appropriate low end that is only available on the DTS rendering for the most part. When the Dolby bass does kick it into gear, it sounds a bit more muddy and unrefined.

When both versions of the soundtrack were originally announced I was a bit skeptical. I wasn't sure a remix of the original mono soundtrack would sound good anyway and all DTS was going to do was make those flaws more apparent. Boy was I wrong. The DTS edition doesn't fix some of the problematic areas like the dated fidelity against the newer, higher quality effects recordings but it does bring the elements together more seamlessly than the Dolby Digital does. Just about every element of this newly remastered soundtrack gets a boost from the DTS encoding. The DTS version is definitely the way to go if you have the ability to do decode and playback both Dolby Digital and DTS Digital Surround.

Additionally, only the DTS version has a Dolby Digital 2.0 track, which appears to be as close as we DVD consumers will get to the original mono mix.

The decision is yours...personally, I own the DTS version...

Old 06-02-01, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched Jaws for the fist time last night! **PLenty of times I have seen bits and pieces, but never straight through.
VERY good movie for it's time!!! ...and still an excellent movie!

Almost as good as Deep Blue Sea, IMO!
Old 06-02-01, 10:11 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Origianlly posted by Tercel_w_Double5:

Jesus wept.

(Yes, I realize everyone is entitled to their opinion but, in all fairness to myself and my innate understanding of the way the universe works, I just had to get that off my chest...)

Old 06-02-01, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Filmmaker
Origianlly posted by Tercel_w_Double5:

Jesus wept.

(Yes, I realize everyone is entitled to their opinion but, in all fairness to myself and my innate understanding of the way the universe works, I just had to get that off my chest...)

Jaws was a good movie, don't get me wrong.....but so basic. ...on the other hand DBS just had much more suspense and the special effects, well there wasn't a comparison! ....and the overall story was better.

my .03
Old 06-05-01, 06:25 PM
Cool New Member

Deep blue sea better than jaws??????

JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA

Don't get me wrong, but there's people who really doesn't know about what a film should be. I think deep blue sea was the worst of its year, or was it from the same year as armageddon?

Deep blue sea is PATHETIC!
Don't misunderstand me but there's a long way between liking a film and considering it a good film, you may like it although it's crap.

Am I the only one that noticed that the sharks could swim backwards?? And don't tell me it was cause of the genetic experiments. It's the same way that humans can't fly.

About the topic, get jaws right now, dts if possible (snif dts, you're lucky)
Old 06-05-01, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

received Jaws today and just watched it.

I enjoyed it!!

As much as I liked it though, how come it's hailed as such a classic and received awards? The formula seems like a present day "B" movie!

Old 06-05-01, 06:58 PM
Banned

Originally posted by TheClovur:
As much as I liked it though, how come it's hailed as such a classic and received awards? The formula seems like a present day "B" movie!

The line between a "A" quality thriller and a "B" quality thriller is usually measured in terms of acting, cinematography, expert direction, music, and richness of the characters and plot--all of which are thoroughly without reproach in JAWS (the polar opposite of DEEP BLUE SEA). On the surface, JAWS is just a simple fright flick--when you pay attention, though, you realize it is utterly perfect in its execution--in other words, it stands as the example by which all movies of its type are measured against. By its very nature, a "B" movie doesn't qualify...
Old 06-05-01, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Filmmaker
Originally posted by TheClovur:

The line between a "A" quality thriller and a "B" quality thriller is usually measured in terms of acting, cinematography, expert direction, music, and richness of the characters and plot--all of which are thoroughly without reproach in JAWS (the polar opposite of DEEP BLUE SEA). On the surface, JAWS is just a simple fright flick--when you pay attention, though, you realize it is utterly perfect in its execution--in other words, it stands as the example by which all movies of its type are measured against. By its very nature, a "B" movie doesn't qualify...
thanks for clearing that up. You're right about the execution, I noticed that too. I was just thinking that the reason for it's praise was that there was a hidden meaning or something!
Old 06-05-01, 07:42 PM

Jaws is awesome. The only part I liked in Deep Blue Sea was
Spoiler:
when my boy Samuel L. Jackson got ate by the shark.

TheCLovur, I looked at your list and just wanted ask if you like comedy and horror films at all?

Old 06-05-01, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DVDjunkie21
TheCLovur, I looked at your list and just wanted ask if you like comedy and horror films at all?

[/B]
hello, yeah, I like comedy and horror films, but usually don't pick up their DVD's, 'cuz they really don't fit (not literally) in with the others in there!
Old 06-06-01, 02:07 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Tercel_w_Double5

Is this a f****n joke?
Old 06-06-01, 02:09 AM
Banned

[/B][/QUOTE]

Jaws was a good movie, don't get me wrong.....but so basic. ...on the other hand DBS just had much more suspense and the special effects, well there wasn't a comparison! ....and the overall story was better.

my .03
[/B][/QUOTE]

This has to be one of the more depressing posts I've read on this forum. Get a clue, fella.
Old 06-06-01, 12:08 PM

When I first watched this I remember saying to my wife "look how freakin' good that picture looks". Now if only Star Wars can look that good when it's released in 2099.
Old 06-06-01, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Deep Blue Sea" had some of the worst CGI effects I've ever seen.

Old 06-08-01, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by TheCLovur

as Filmmaker pointed out, there are many other things about JAWS that graduate it from a B film to an A film. Namely in this film, I think it is cinematography and direction. There is a reason that the scene of Quint's telling about the USS Indianapolis has been parodies many many times. I think it is the best scene in the film. Perfectly shot and executed and creates a brilliant atmosphere. That scene alone makes Jaws a great film.
Old 06-09-01, 11:00 PM

WE (I) NEED A BIGGER SCREEN.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.