Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Goldeneye R2/R4/subregions/cuts

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Goldeneye R2/R4/subregions/cuts

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-01, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Goldeneye", the last of the James Bond collection was finally released here in Finland. I was happy at first but that was to be changed. The film was cut approx. 15 seconds. This is because british cencorship.

There are many sub regions in R2 and the british version (D1) of "Goldeneye" has been cut. The french version (D3) is uncut but doesn't contain that many subtitles.

The R4 version (Australia) is uncut and contains many subtitles, including scandinavian countries' subtitles. Why hasn't it been released in Scandinavia and other European countries. If I am correct the disc contains both R4 and R2 codes. And if it doesn't have R2 coding. That shouldn't be a big problem when creating the R2 discs.

The R2/D3 version of "Tomorrow never dies" is uncut. If I'm not mistaken the R2/D1 (british) is cut. How come they got it correct with this one and released the uncut version in most parts of Europe but couldn't do it to "Goldeneye" which was much more severly cut.

Cencorship is a huge obstacle with R2 titles. British cencorship dominates and makes cuts to titles that are uncut elswhere in Europe.

Why is it that the british version has to be distributed to other countries when uncut versions are available elswhere in Europe and since subtitles don't take that much space, the uncut version could easily be filled with almost every subtitle needed.

It bugs me when the long arm of british cencorship reaches Finland. And it bugs even more this year since from the beginning of the year 2001 no cuts have to be made to films (theatrical/dvd/vhs). All films (not including illegal films) can be distributed in Finland uncut with rating 18. Films are not toned down in order to get a more commercial lower rating which is in use in the UK.

The cut/uncut version problems and not knowing which versions are out there is one of the biggest reasons why European consumers buy R1 titles.

Naturally this cutting stuff also has got something to do with the distributor in question. Some distributors make one version for all of Europe while others have multiple version. This also affects extra content on dvd.

I'm too tired to write more. Since foam is coming from my mouth and I'm angry this might not be very articulate and is very rambling. But I think anyone who reads this get's my point.