Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Walkabout (Criterion Collection)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Walkabout (Criterion Collection)

Old 05-27-01, 07:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A strong enduring character study of two English children stranded in the Australian outback and their Aboriginal saviour.

The film examines the juxtaposition of "civilized" and "uncivilized" cultures. And examines the barriers to communication between. It is the girl who finds communication impossible, unable to "think outside the box." Perhaps the young boy finds it easier simply because his indoctrination into "civilized" society is not yet complete.

This film pulls no punches in certain areas and is not for the squeamish. The hunting, the carcasses, the limbs of slain animals. Those aren't special effects, but the real thing. You'll not find any "No animals were harmed during the production of this film" disclaimers here. But it is not exploitive and is done to make a point, that the ultimate differences between our various human cultures are small indeed.

The cinematography matches and even surpasses that of another beautifully filmed (thou fatally flawed) Australian film, "Picnic at Hanging Rock."

The main female lead, Jennie Agutter, though she portrays a 14 year old girl, was 18 years of age during the filming. So don't feel too bad if you find some enjoyment in her nude scene. Again, they are not exploitive, so you'll probably just end up marveling at the context in which it is presented, that of utter freedom with herself and her surroundings. A moment that in time that she is unable to capture for the rest of her life.

The commentary track is very informative, and worth listening too on a repeat viewing.

Great film. Well worth owning.
Old 05-28-01, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I finally saw this recently via a rental from an online store and thought that it was a very good story and very well paced. Personally, I didn't plan to watch it again, but found myself sitting through it again when it was broadcast on the Independent Film Channel or Sundance, I can't recall.

I really enjoyed the relationships and how they gradually changed between all the characters.
Old 05-29-01, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a very special movie.
i bought it without having seen it, and i'm glad i have it. it's not for everybody, but if your an adventurous filmgoer you'll be rewarded with a very unique experience.

the transfer isn't anamorphic and on my 53" digital it looked only fair until i hooked up a progressive scan player then the image just POPPED. all the vivid sky blues and rocky reds and oranges looked spectacular.
Old 05-29-01, 07:27 PM

I think Nicholas Roeg's Walkabout is one of the finest films ever made. It's such a deceptively simple yet incredibly complex film. As mentioned above, Criterion's DVD looks magnificent through a progressive scan DVD player on a 16:9 display. Roeg's direction and cinematography, Barry's score, and Jenny Agutter are superb. Also, I believe Agutter was 16, not 18 when the movie was filmed.
Old 05-30-01, 12:56 AM

This is one of those movies that sucked me into its world whenever it showed up on cable. Finally I got the DVD and watch it occasionally almost as a meditation on man and nature and everything else. Jenny Agutter and her little brother are so real, and aborigine David Gilpalil is fascinating. The commentary track is a pleasure, especially Jenny's recollections of the filming. A beautiful, thought-provoking movie to savor for years.
Old 06-04-01, 11:53 PM

Thanks, I'm gonna have to go buy this now
Old 06-13-01, 03:56 PM
Sem

Originally posted by Justin Doring
Also, I believe Agutter was 16, not 18 when the movie was filmed.
The film was shot in 1970, released in 1971. Agutter was born in 1952.