Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Vertical Limit

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Vertical Limit

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-01, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never saw the movie and was wondering what the DVD is like?
Old 05-24-01, 09:53 AM

Well, this was a movie that I kinda wanted to see at the box office but Chris O'Donnel scared me off.

But, I did run out and rent the DVD when it was released and all I can say is what a waste of a possible cool story.

I just didn't enjoy the movie, the CGI stood out and there were many scenes that really insulted your intelligence. I will not give any spoilers away but I was very let down. Chris O"Donnel has got to be the worst actor in Hollywood, how this guy ever lands a role is beyond me, heck after watching him I think I could do better.

Bill Paxton and Scott Gleen are wasted with their roles and O'Donnel gets way too much screen time.

I think the movie could have been really good but I felt that they missed the boat, pacing sucked and it was as though the director didn't know what he wanted to do. I think it was a missed opportunity.

As far as the DVD goes, it is pretty close to reference quality. The video is almost impeccable with rich vibrant, fully saturated colors thatremain solid throughout the movie. Noted a very small amount of edge enhancement in one or two scenes but nothing to really distract. The DD audio is also really good. A lot of surround use and it is integrated well with the other channels. Good low end when it needs it (I'm sure those of you that have seen the movie know which scenes "need it"). Special features are good from what I could tell, didn't check many of them out because I was too numb after wasting my 2 hours. The list looked extensive enough to offer fans of the movie a nice package.

Overall, my ratings would look like this:

Movie 1.5 out of 5 (sorry, but I did not like it at all, 1.5 might be a little low but to me that is what it was worth)

Video 4.5 out of 5

DD Audio 4 out of 5

Extras I (like I stated, I didn't go through all of them, looked like a solid package, if I had to guess I would say a 3.5 - 4 out of 5)

Hope this helps,
wrath
Old 05-24-01, 10:10 AM

Thank you very much. Nice summary.
Old 05-24-01, 10:45 AM

I've not seen the movie yet but I can tell how bad the movie is so I will skip this title. I almost bought it last week when it was released in Singapore.

[Edited by arikevin on 05-24-01 at 05:59 PM]
Old 05-24-01, 01:42 PM
Banned

details on the extras

well, we haven't finished writing up a review of the execution of the special features included on the disc yet, but if you want at least a list of what's included, you can click here
write up to follow soon...

CT
told you so productions
Old 05-24-01, 03:46 PM

My review.
Thank god I rented and didn't buy.
Old 05-26-01, 10:32 PM

Well let me step to the other side. I thought the movie was very well done, though not the best story line but better than others. Seemed to work the surrounds real well with pertty fair LFE bass effects. Since I purchased thru amazon.com with a coupon I am glad of my purchase.

Saintsfan
Old 05-26-01, 11:26 PM

Just finished it. It really stinks. Don't waste your time.
Old 05-27-01, 12:29 AM

Only a Saints fan would like this movie

Just kidding with you, I'm a Rams fan so I had to gig you a little bit
Old 05-27-01, 12:45 AM

Yes the movies is awful but dear god, RENT THIS FILM. Get together with a friend or two and see how many times you laugh at the sheer idiocy. My wife and I had a pretty good time with it.
Old 05-30-01, 07:55 AM

The action sequences are the only good highlights in Vertical Limit. The story and acting are not convincing. The movie is only worth renting. Audio and picture quality is good. Overall, Veritical Limit: "C".
Old 05-30-01, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...and...

http://www.mrcranky.com/movies/verticallimit.html

. . . . . .

Old 06-03-01, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I could only come up with one word... BLECK!
Old 06-04-01, 07:54 PM
Cool New Member

i rented this with another movie for me and some freinds and we actually turned it off a little way through the movie. just plain stupid and uninteresting. terrible dialogue, predictable, unrealistic... don't bother renting it or even watching it on cable.
Old 12-26-01, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by wrath
Well, this was a movie that I kinda wanted to see at the box office but Chris O'Donnel scared me off. Chris O"Donnel has got to be the worst actor in Hollywood, how this guy ever lands a role is beyond me, heck after watching him I think I could do better.
I do agree that seeing O'Donnell included on the bill does not generate interest in me, and he was absolutely horrible playing Dick Grayson/Robin in Batman Forever and Batman & Robin. His one shining moment was his role in "Scent of a Woman" playing "Charlie" opposite Pacino.
Old 12-26-01, 08:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought this flick had some pretty exciting moments. Pretty good special effects too!
Old 12-27-01, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Not a masterpiece, but...

I actually enjoyed it for what it is--a pretty decent action flick with great sound & picture. I picked it up at Blockbuster for $7.99, & it was definitely worth that price. It won't garner any Academy nominations (the acting is pretty awful), but the action sequences are awesome, and it's a fairly decent DVD. I enjoyed the extras about the K2, and the flick makes nice use of all surround sound channels. Don't expect Citizen Kane, but it's still fun to watch...
Old 12-31-01, 09:15 AM

I liked K2 better and Cliffhanger MUCH better. And yes O'Donnel almost ruined this movie. His acting reminds me of Kurt Cameron in that stupid sitcom.

But I am a sucker for snow/mountain movies. They are so cool. If not for Scott Glenn, I probably would have passed on buying it. But he brought the movie from 1 star to 2.5 stars