Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Close Encounters review

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-01, 03:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I will be the first to admit I write lousy dvd reviews, I thought since I had a chance to buy and view this disc 10 days early I should write something.

The picture has a very film like appearance to it. The picture is bright, sharp, with saturated colors and very little grain. I did see a bit of flicker at times,and a couple of specs in the print, but overall this looks very nice for film nearly 25 years old. One possible detriment depending what size screen you watch it on. During the scenes with Lacomb's dialogue is translated the printing is the smallest I've sever seen.

I listened to the dolby digital track, it also has dts, and while it was pleasing, there was not a lot of surround activity. With the exemption of a few scenes, and the ending, most of the sound is front driven. There are a couple of times though that will test your subwoofer.

The package is unlike any I have ever seen. It comes in a slip case. Once you remove the case from the sleeve, you open the front flap, then lift another flap, which reveals two very heavy plastic cases holding the discs. Its probably the nicest package I've ever seen. The only downside is once you touch it, you smudge it.

I didn't wacth any of the extra features, but it is loaded. There is a making of documentary, a featureete, 11 deleted scenes, filmographies and theatrical trailers.

In conclusion, while this disc does not compare with films released within the last couple of years in audio or video quality, I think this set will please just about everyone.
Old 05-20-01, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

nightliner-nice job,sounds like a keeper

ts
Old 05-20-01, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The case def. sounds better in your review than it did on DVDFile...who described the case as "sliding crap into crap." I've got it ordered anyhow though Can't wait to see it

Old 05-20-01, 04:51 PM

I think I was the only reviewer who liked/didn't mind the case.

My Site: A Guide To Current DVD
Old 05-20-01, 06:34 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DVDRules1
I think I was the only reviewer who liked/didn't mind the case.

My Site: A Guide To Current DVD
You run that site?! Dude, that's a nice site.
Old 05-21-01, 06:48 PM
Banned

kudos all around

Removed

[Edited by gkleinman on 05-29-01 at 06:06 PM]