Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

The Vij(or Viy)- a review-poss spoilers

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

The Vij(or Viy)- a review-poss spoilers

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-01, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much courage do you have?

Would you be willing to be locked up inside a church with a corpse all night long, knowing the corpse was a witch? Knowing you were the one that killed her? Knowing deep in your heart that she'll awaken and try to kill you, take your soul?
Would you do that for three nights in a row?

Could you?

I finally watched The Vij last night and was thoroughly captivated by this Russian horror movie.

Now, I am not good with remembering names(especially since they are Russian Actors), but the man who plays the poor fool who has to pray over the body of the witch does a great job. I really felt for his character( Koma?).
Anyway, the scenes dealing with the witch riding Komas back,using him as a human broomstick were amazing(this was made in the 60's so don't expect any Mummy Returns sfx here).Also, the scenes in the church were quite chilling. Now, many people say the last night of praying was the best, but, I contend that it was the first two nights that ran a chill up my spine. You're within a sacred circle that you hope will protect you. The corpse rises and tries and tries and tries all night long to get at you and kill you. She is desperate and in the final night summons The Viy. This is were I was disappointed, folks. The Viy looked like a Doctor Who monster(when the BBC stopped giving the series money). Damn, but, apart from that, I really did enjoy the movie.

One other thing, there is a sample from a silent movie called The Portrait. Man, that is one movie I'm looking forward to seeing down the road.
Check out The Viy. I wish I could review better, but, I am not very good with words. Tim Lucas, I'm not!
Old 05-07-01, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...just a few questions, if I may:

- is it on the new and eagerly awaited - by me (and at least two or three others)! - Ruscico label (which, for the past year or so, has promised such Russian cinematic delights as Tarkovsky's Solaris and the complete Bondarchuk War and Peace)

- is the movie full-screen, or widescreen, letterbox or (dare one hope?!) anamorphic, color or b/w

- does it have 'locked' or optional subtitles

- is the sound mono or stereo

. . . ? . . .

Old 05-08-01, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hendrik- here's the link to the review on Mondo Digital. Tells you all you need to know.

http://www.mondo-digital.com/viy.html
Old 05-08-01, 03:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good review, smokedragon. Here's mine from a few days back.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=103946

I will definitely end up buying this. I watched the rental twice, which is rare for me... there's just something about it. The atmosphere, I suppose. The whole feel is very unique.

Old 05-08-01, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn! I knew I spelt the name wrong.
Nocturnaloner-You are right, there IS something about this movie. It's fascinating, captivating, sometimes chilling, and very involving. I was quite surprised. Pleasantly surprised.

Hendrik- I read on Mobious' Home Video Board that the SOLARIS DVD is due to arrive within the week.

Here's the link

http://www.mhvf.net/forum/scifihorror/posts/16937.html