Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Dream Theater dvd

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-01, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was all set to watch the concert dvd
last night, but I only made it about
30 seconds into it. Its dolby digital
2 channel. Why would
anyone in their right mind bring out a
recent concert on a dvd and not have
it mixed in 5.1 is beyond me. I forsee
a trip to ebay coming.
Old 05-07-01, 02:10 AM

From what I read, Mike Portnoy tried to get a 5.1 mix, but the record company would not allow it.

On the other hand, I would suggest anyone who likes Dream Theater to buy the dvd, even though the sound is just 2.0. It is a great concert, and when you consider that it contains a commentary track with all the band members, along with extra songs (Learning to Live, A Mind Beside Itself, and A Change of Seasons), it is a great deal...

Although I was displeased with the "documentary". Very little info. The upside of it was there is live footage of Dream Theater playing The Mirror, Metropolis (Pt. 1) and other songs. But otherwise, the "documentary" was quite a letdown. The band is barely in it. Probably 7-10 minutes of it was just fans yelling about how much they loved Dream Theater. Kinda got old I guess.

Still, a great dvd. The lack of a 5.1 track notwithstanding, it is definately worth *full retail* of 24.99.... And not many dvds are even worth half their retail in my eyes.
Old 05-07-01, 06:27 PM
Suspended

I agree. This DVD is probably one of my favorites out of my whole collection. I REALLY wish it was 5.1 sound, that's about the only drawback.. everything else about it is just great. It's loaded with extra stuff, and the performaces itself is just really great. I paid the full $24.99 for it (thanks to Suncoast being the only place that had it ) and I think it was well worth the price.

And asside from all that, just the fact that a non-mainstream band like Dream Theatre would put together such a quality DVD is really great. It seems to be selling fairly well too and hopefully it will inspire other non-Mtvslave bands to do the same
Old 05-10-01, 12:48 AM

I guess I will have to give it another chance, but it really bothered me when I saw it wasn't 5.1.