Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Dobermann

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-01, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard it was a pretty good movie, please give me your opinions.
Old 05-02-01, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sick, insane movie. Everyone is a bad guy and it plays like a twisted cartoon. The director has stated that he does not see why film should play by the mores and standards of the real world (though I believe the film definitely has its own twisted morality), so you can guess that his films will be a little unusual.

It's violent. People are killed in very gruesome and graphic ways. That isn't necessarily what disturbed me. I've been desensitized by Hollywood movies after all. I think it's the whole twisted atmosphere of the film that made everything seem more gruesome. It's one thing for a guy to be shot in the crotch. It's another when that guy is a horny ugly little pervert who was taking a piss outside a transvestite club. The trannies, pervs, blowjobs and talk of anal warts disturbed me a lot (hmm, doesn't mind violence, disturbed by sex - I'm more north american than I thought ). There's just a lot of sick s.h.i.t. in this film and the bad guys are disgustingly bad.

The camerawork and special effects are fantastic. Some of the shots reminded me of Luc Besson's work. Performances are good. Worth watching, just don't expect an action movie per se. It's more of a sick crime film with one or two shootouts.
Old 05-02-01, 03:55 PM

thanks, a bit in the pulp fiction genre?
Old 05-02-01, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dobermann is far more cartoonish and outrageous. Think of Pulp Fiction as a novel and Dobermann as a comic book. There's less focus on dialogue and a huge focus on colourful visuals and ideas.
Old 05-04-01, 10:59 AM

cool, thanks for your opinion kevin.