Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Pi. Worth checking out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-01, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have looked at renting this movie a few times but have been wary for some reason. Today I saw a good used copy for $10 and seriously considered getting it but I wasn't sure what replay value it might have. For the record, I like well-done offbeat films such as Brazil and eXistence but have little patience for avante garde films that are weird just for the sake of being weird (Eraserhead comes to mind). So what do you think? Yay or nay?
Old 04-30-01, 11:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
rent first
Old 04-30-01, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Although I don't feel either films(Pi or Eraserhead) are weird for being weird, Pi is similar to eraserhead in that you may think so.
Old 04-30-01, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I rented this on video a few years ago and really enjoyed it. It has some interesting concepts and in my opinion is worth owning, especially for $10. I've let a few people borrow this one, and I haven't heard a negative comment yet.

By the way, DeepDiscountDVD has this movie on sale for $9.90 (free shipping). That's where I got it.
Old 05-01-01, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Boot: I give this one a big thumbs-up. It's one of my favorite DVD purchases to date, and I bought it sight-unseen! I've watched this one probably 9 or 10 times to date. Solid actors, a great script, and a most interesting (and clearly unique) story line all make for an excellent disc.

Admittedly, I haven't seen Eraserhead, but I know what you mean about "strange fo strangeness' sake." Fortunately, I don't think Pi suffers from that at all. You may think so your first time watching it, but on rewatchin things make a lot more sense. The commentary tracks, one by the lead actor and another by the director, are both excellent as well.

- David Stein
Old 05-01-01, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rent first! This one was hard to get through......
Old 05-01-01, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MrBEAViS
Although I don't feel either films(Pi or Eraserhead) are weird for being weird, Pi is similar to eraserhead in that you may think so.
Thanks for that. I must argue against those who think that Eraserhead is weird for weirdness sake. Just because something is not narrative doesn't make it weird. IMO, that makes it a purer film since it is not as reliant on story to exist as an artform. Actually I would tend to agree more with a narrative film being more capable of being called "weirdness for wierdness" sake than a more non-narrative one. Anyway.... Pi is not near in greatness as Eraserhead, but is still a very good movie. For the record, Lynch and company speant five years making Eraserhead in condemned housing. I don't really think that is something you would do just "to be weird."
Old 05-01-01, 11:15 AM

Pi is one of the most interesting films I have ever seen. This is a study of genius(or madness), and it's well worth your time.
Old 05-01-01, 03:38 PM

I would say rent first but for 10 dollars, why not just pick it up. A decent film that is very interesting.
Old 05-01-01, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My Best Buy has PI for $10 new, so anyone interested may check out their local Best Buy. By happenstance, I just picked it up today.