DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Stupid DVD Rom Questions From A Beginner

Gamblor187
04-27-01, 10:18 PM
I finally have a computer with a DVD-Rom. I've been fooling around with it and know how to play a movie, but I'm having trouble accessing the DVD-Rom Features. For example, I was checking out the bonus features discs of the "X Files" set because I wanted to see what the DVD-Rom game was like. But when I select the option for the DVD-Rom features, all I get is a basic text screen and a place to click to return to the menu. How do I actually get to the game? I tried this with "The Mummy" DVD, too, but with similar results. How do I get to the screensavers postcards and interactive game?

I'm sure that this is all basic stuff, but I have no idea what I'm doing. Anyone care to help me, explaining it in the simplest terms possible?

Also, is there an FAQ for this section? There's one in the "Talk" forum. Is there one here? Something to get me started so I don't have to keep coming back with stupid questions?

Thanks....
jim

Thunderball
04-27-01, 10:36 PM
I'm having the smae trouble. Maybe people will help you..

Rain Man
04-27-01, 11:29 PM
I think some of the DVD-ROM features are accesible as programs on the disc (called PC Friendly I think). Do you have autoplay enabled for data CD's?

Gamblor187
04-28-01, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Rain Man
I think some of the DVD-ROM features are accesible as programs on the disc (called PC Friendly I think). Do you have autoplay enabled for data CD's?

I downloaded PC Friendly when I first put in the discs, but no luck. I just don't see any kind of menu when I click on the DVD-Rom features of these discs. I tried uninstalling PC Friendly, and then reinstalling it, but it didn't help. To make matters worse, I believe that I turned off the autoplay option. Now I can't even play a DVD. Whenever I try I get an error that says "Couldn't Launch."

If this all too complicated to explain here, please e-mail me or, if you have AOL Instant Messenger, get in touch with me that way.

HELP!!!!!

jim

[Edited by Gamblor187 on 04-28-01 at 02:07 PM]

Scott27
04-28-01, 05:10 PM
To access DVD-ROM features, you have to use PCFriendly to watch the DVD - not your computer's player. Rather than just installing PCFriendly, you have to open it and watch the disc with it in order to access them.

Gamblor187
04-28-01, 07:56 PM
Okay, I got my computer to play DVDs again, so maybe I'm getting closer.

Originally posted by scott27
To access DVD-ROM features, you have to use PCFriendly to watch the DVD - not your computer's player. Rather than just installing PCFriendly, you have to open it and watch the disc with it in order to access them.

How do I do this? When I start up PCFriendly, it tells me to insert a DVD (even if I already have). Once the DVD is in, it does not automatically play through PCFriendly....and if I press play, the DVD plays through my computer's player instead.

jim

Scott27
04-28-01, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Gamblor187
How do I do this? When I start up PCFriendly, it tells me to insert a DVD (even if I already have). Once the DVD is in, it does not automatically play through PCFriendly....and if I press play, the DVD plays through my computer's player instead.

That's odd. If the disc is in there, PCFriendly should pop-up and say "To Play the DVD, click the Play button below." If you're pressing play on your keyboard and your computer's player is default, that will start whenever you press play on your keyboard.

Try this: double-click on the My Computer icon on your desktop, with the disk in. Your DVD drive's icon should have the PCFriendly logo on it with the name of the disc and drive letter underneath it. If it does, double-click that, and that should start PCFriendly. If that doesn't work, IM me on AOL IM. My name is scottua1 and I'll try to help you in real-time. If you can't catch me on IM, e-mail me. My address is in the e-mail link above.

[Edited by scott27 on 04-28-01 at 06:40 PM]

Gamblor187
04-28-01, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by scott27

Try this: double-click on the My Computer icon on your desktop, with the disk in. Your DVD drive's icon should have the PCFriendly logo on it with the name of the disc and drive letter underneath it. If it does, double-click that, and that should start PCFriendly.

This worked!!!! Thank you so much for the help!!

By the way, I did a search but didn't find anything. What are some discs that feature good DVD-Rom features?

jim