Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

How about a Laser Disc Forum?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

How about a Laser Disc Forum?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-01, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there any interest in adding a section for Laser Discs?
Old 04-26-01, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Laserdisc discussions are permitted in the main DVDTalk forum. I'm not sure if there would be enough interest to create a forum devoted exclusicely to LDs, though.
Old 04-26-01, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have been asking for a long time why there is no Under Siege II Laserdisc forum. It deserves it's own forum for such a rare and important laserdisc.

Seriously...as a collector of thousands of laserdiscs myself, I think the number of posts in a forum dedicated to laserdiscs would not warrant it's own forum.
Old 04-26-01, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
If theres a Book thread. i don't see why there isn't a LD section... but then again. i don't see why there isn't a 8-track section either

I am a big fan of LD. i have been posting threads in the main forum about them for some time now. as for enough interest for its own forum. I'm sure it could survive with enough post. but since the format is pretty much on its way out the door (if it all hasn't goen already) so there really wouldn't be much other then trading and one thread about each LD that is better then its dvd version.

I am cool with posting my LD topics in the main forum, but if there was a LD forum. i wouldn't mind
Old 04-26-01, 10:08 PM

Why stop there? How about a BETAMAX forum as well. As long as we're talking about adding forums for dead formats I don't see a problem with this.
Old 04-26-01, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by gotdvd?
Why stop there? How about a BETAMAX forum as well. As long as we're talking about adding forums for dead formats I don't see a problem with this.
I agree with you, although I probably would have said it in a less sarcastic way.
Old 04-27-01, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dont think there would be much interest in a LD specific forum here. Sure there would be some posts in such a forum, but all in all it would probably not warrant it's survival. I like the current format of posting LD topics in the DVD Talk forum instead of creating a forum that would not be of much interest to the majority of users.

J
Old 04-27-01, 12:40 AM
Registered

Thanks for your suggestion, I don't think going forward that there's a real case for a LD forum.
Old 01-20-06, 08:38 AM

Hi, I have a question and would be grateful if anyone who could answer.
Reading all over the internet at various laserdisc resources is very confusing for a number of reasons but one is this.
When discussing 'laser rot' people say that generally (and according to company claims) that laser rot should not affect post 1990 discs.
However, why is it that on most sites, including www.lddb.com the laser rot is largely centred around the 1993- 1999 discs etc?
Thanks Richard
Old 01-20-06, 08:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Perhaps instead of just a LD Forum if added a "Dead Tech" forum
Old 01-21-06, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by richardt
Hi, I have a question and would be grateful if anyone who could answer.
Reading all over the internet at various laserdisc resources is very confusing for a number of reasons but one is this.
When discussing 'laser rot' people say that generally (and according to company claims) that laser rot should not affect post 1990 discs.
However, why is it that on most sites, including www.lddb.com the laser rot is largely centred around the 1993- 1999 discs etc?
Thanks Richard
Holy thread revival!

I think they meant pre-1990. 90% of my laser rotted discs are from '93-'99, particularly Columbia/Tri-Star, Warner and Disney. I don't think I ever saw a rotted Paramount or Universal laser.
Old 01-22-06, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can guarantee that rot can happen to ANY LD made. But it was more of a problem earlier in the life, before they learned more about process control and avoiding trapped moisture.

Almost ANY LD I had from before 1990 had some rot. This includes many of the old "Discovision" titles I had. Hardly any survived. Some after 1990 also developed rot, specially those pressed by Sony in USA in the 90s.
Old 01-23-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gkleinman
Thanks for your suggestion, I don't think going forward that there's a real case for a LD forum.
HA! History proves you wrong once again, Kleinman!