Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Review Wanted: Hard Eight

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Review Wanted: Hard Eight

Old 04-24-01, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just saw this movie the other day, and I loved it!

I didn't think it would be that good because it was PTA's first one, but it was great.. I noticed that in Boogie Nights and Hard Eight they revolved around the 'father figure'

I really liked the characters in this one, (PTA makes likeable characters, it helps that each of his movies have the same actors)

how's the DVD? does it have artwork on the top? any special features?

what do you guys think of hard Eight?
Old 04-24-01, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Haven't watched the disc in a while, so I can give you a review on the video and audio, it just wouldn't be accurate. The features I can tell you though. It is a pretty loaded disc. It has a new transfer, approved by PTA, two filmmaker commentary tracks, a deleted scene: "the kiss", and Sundance Institute Filmaker Lab Scenes. This last feature is really cool. It shows read-thrus and stuff and in one scene, I forget which we see a read-thru by someone who wasn't cast, but was very famous...I forget who though. It also has trailers and both widesreen and fullscreen ratios.

This disc is highly recommended.

Dan
Old 04-25-01, 08:33 AM

Yeah, I gotta second (or was it third?) these opinions. It amazes me how PT Anderson hit the ground running with "Hard Eight." No directorial floundering here; he gets some great performances and shows some stylistic cojones from the get-go. (And my wife was happy that it wasn't at a marathon length like Boogie Nights and Magnolia.)
Old 04-25-01, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

PT Anderson's best film. Shows a restraint and focus severely lacking in his followups. Highly recommended.
Old 04-25-01, 01:01 PM

Hard Eight is what people mean when they call something "a great little film". No pretension, no attempts at a Tarantino-like 'twist'. Just a straightforward story, well-acted and well told, with characters you can care about.
Old 04-25-01, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definately worth getting. The video quality is exceptional as are the extra features. Plus you already know you like the movie.
Old 04-25-01, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

argh, here's the original ending, I got real mad reading it

http://www.ptanderson.com/featurefil...inalending.htm

I really hated Samuel L. Jackson's character in the movie, even more after reading the alternate ending!!
Old 04-27-01, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

question

hey, I just got this movie, and saw it again (good DVD),

but I have a question

Spoiler:
in the end when Sydney talks to John, he says call me when you get there? but then you see John and Clementine driving, were they going to Niagra Falls or coming back home?

also, was Sydney skipping town? if so, why did he wanna leave his two loved ones, when he risked his neck for them?

thanks