Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Do we really need the new forum software?

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Do we really need the new forum software?

Old 04-24-01, 04:07 PM
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not sure if it was worth the extra load. I like this place just fine how it is, how about you!

And look no poll threads -
Old 04-24-01, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like it too!! Although I am not against some minor improvements that can be made.
Old 04-24-01, 04:10 PM

If we had it, this could be a poll!

Like we need more polls

I actually like the appearance of the old forum and the features of the new forum. If the new software is just too much, we don't need it.
Old 04-24-01, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
The ONLY thing I miss about the new forum was the username of the last poster showing on the forums' main page ... oh, and how when threads are moved, a moved notice is automatically placed in the thread.
Old 04-24-01, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
I like the speed of the old version, but like the following from the new:

--editable thread titles

OK, was gonna say polls, but I think they're probably what crashed it.
Old 04-24-01, 04:14 PM

I also like how you can click on moved threads (like this one) right on the forum page in the new software.
Old 04-24-01, 04:15 PM
Premium Member

I did not post this to be a criticism!
Old 04-24-01, 04:27 PM

I too liked the last person to post listing on the main forum page.
Old 04-24-01, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think this version is easier to view(eye strain), on the new one by the time I got to the other forum (my last stop) I couldn't even get through the first page of posts, and usually there would be 2 or 3.
Old 04-24-01, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I, for one, didn't find anything in the new forum to make it worth keeping.

I actually found that the graphics and some of the missing features made it less useful than the old (current) software.
Old 04-24-01, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually thought the PM and Buddy List features were nice to have.
Old 04-24-01, 06:26 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by bfrank
I did not post this to be a criticism!
I'm posting this to be a criticism. I think that the old interface (and the one that we are back on at the moment) is orders of magnitude better than the new (now absent) interface. To put it blunty, I thought that the new interface was a piece of s**t. I hope that it does NOT return.
Old 04-24-01, 07:03 PM
Retired

I like this version better too. The other version was ugly and seemed slow. The poll feature was annoying and led to even more stupid polls. The only thing I liked was the name of the last person to reply, and the report this thread to a moderator link.
Old 04-24-01, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Sockmonkey
I actually found that the graphics and some of the missing features made it less useful than the old (current) software.
I completely agree. The graphics in this version make it very easy to quickly determine what is read/isn't read, etc.

The "newer" graphics were virtually identical to each other and confusing as hell.

There were a few neat-o things with the new software, but (IMO) not enough to warrant going to a less-intuitive interface.
Old 04-24-01, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The new software was pretty decent but not that much of a change where it seems like we could be loing someting going back to the old software. The one thing I did not get to try out that may have been useful was the PM cabability. All in all this software currently is fine and maybe in the future if finances become more readily available Geoff can try upgrades again.

J
Old 04-24-01, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
There were a few neat-o things with the new software, but (IMO) not enough to warrant going to a less-intuitive interface.
Don't mistake an implementation of the interface with the software itself, though. vBulletin is very, very customizable.
Old 04-24-01, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The new interface wasn't around long enough to really form a strong opinion, that being said I did like the polls and the last person posted in a thread feature.

-g
Old 04-24-01, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am very pleased to see the forum return to it's previous efficient look and performance.

I had been considering posting a week or so ago to let Geoff know that it was my opinion that this forum was the most functional of the forums that I participate in, and how it's speed and relative simplicity is appreciated - but while using the newer software I was literally considering how it might limit my participation here, as it displayed terribly in Communicator (better in Explorer, but still chunky) and how much slower it was overall. It was terribly frustrating and disappointing. And while I'm sure there were bugs associated with it's early implementation, the new bells and whistles seemed to ultimately get in the way of the information and the experience. The only thing I miss now is the location display for users. For months it has been missing, at least for me.

Though a terminal tweaker myself, I must say if it ain't broke, don't fix it
Old 04-24-01, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
PLEASE keep this current format

I don't mean to bash the earlier decision to upgrade the software but what we have right now is the perfect format.
Old 04-25-01, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: PLEASE keep this current format

Originally posted by Trelach24
I don't mean to bash the earlier decision to upgrade the software but what we have right now is the perfect format.
i agree
Old 04-25-01, 07:13 AM

I liked the members on feature, though this was probally one of the biggest resource hogs, PM Idea was nice. But it was a difficult interface, blocked members could have come in handy, last memeber post and location back in namespace...
Old 04-25-01, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
woohoo the site is usable again from school (currently my only internet access)
Thanks for switching back. Newer is not always better, especially in the computer business.
Old 04-25-01, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
Old one is fine for me. I think the polls feature was the only one that was kinda neat but at the same time it would have likely gotten WAYYYYYYY overused in about a week. If it ain't broke...
Old 04-25-01, 09:33 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Myself, I didn't even KNOW that there were extra features in the new software. I, for the most part, simply read the forums and do an occasional search, so none of the bells and whistles interest me. All that I knew about the new format was that the colors were ugly, the icons and buttons were inferior, and the extra ad banners on the left side were annoying.
Old 04-25-01, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked the new board for its both the PM and for its putting the name of the most recent poster on the index.

I am wondering why the little arrow symbol is on the index as well as at the top of the message when you open it. Yes, I know clicking on it takes you to the most recent unread post. However, doesn't putting it both on the index and the top of the message mean the server has to calculate or keep track of it twice which causes a big hit when everyone is churning through all the posted messages?

I did like the IGNORE function. I've always wanted a way to PLONK those "just padding through" postings.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.