Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Wonder Boys or Almost Famous?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Wonder Boys or Almost Famous?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-01, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have yet to see either of these films actually. Both as a movie and as a disc (supplements, audio/video quality), which one do you think is better? Thanks...
Old 04-18-01, 04:39 PM

Wonder Boys in every respect. It's just a better movie. The author of the novel won the Pulitzer for fiction this week for his newest novel, "The Adventures of Kavalier & Clay", and he is writing the script for Scott Rudin at this very moment.

Almost Famous is okay, but everyone went bonkers over Kate Hudson, who's the least interesting thing in the film. Frances McDormand is good, and Billy Crudup, as usual, is outstanding and, as usual, doesn't get the acclaim he deserves.
Old 04-18-01, 06:46 PM

I own both and I have to go the other way. Almost Famous was very entertaining.. Wonder Boys was just ok..
Old 04-18-01, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't speak for the discs, but film wise, I would lean heavily toward Wonder Boys. I definatley don't understand the hype that Almost Famous recieved (it was OK, but not much more), while Wonder Boys was an awesome film. I would choose wonderboys in a heartbeat.

Dan
Old 04-18-01, 09:05 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Almost Famous --- It is one awesome movie...one of the best I have seen in a while.

wlj
Old 04-19-01, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by AmonTwin
Have yet to see either of these films actually. Both as a movie and as a disc (supplements, audio/video quality), which one do you think is better? Thanks...
Very hard question. Really, both. If there is a money issue, sell your plasma or crack or something. But if you must only have one, go with Wonder Boys. It was my #1 favorite film of last year, but Almost Famous was my #3 so it's a hard call. There is a rumored director's cut release of Almost Famous that may occur later this year, but I doubt there will be a rerelease of Wonder Boys so that may be a better choice if only getting one.
Old 04-19-01, 12:23 PM

Thanks for all the input. I opted for Wonder Boys because I remembered that there was a rumored re-release of Almost Famous in the future so I figure I'll just wait for awhile since I'm not dying to get it right now or anything. I can tell that both of these movies are pretty much liked by everybody since the replies were just about 50/50 for either one. Will watch Wonder Boys tonight probably.
Old 04-19-01, 01:12 PM

I thought both were good but didn't love either one. I would have to say I liked Wonder Boys better of the two.
Old 04-19-01, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
I proudly own both but Almost Famous is clearly the stronger film. Neither disc is flabbergasting in the extras department and both have very solid image/audio presentations.
Old 04-20-01, 02:15 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
How about both? I own each and feel very strongly towards both films. Wonder Boys is a great movie, but so is Almost Famous. As far as disc supplements goes, the edge would go to Wonder Boys. However, ask this question again when the director's cut of Almost Famous comes out (supposedly sometime this Fall) and my answer will shift the other way.
Old 04-20-01, 10:52 PM

Almost Famous by a landslide!

I know that I am in the minority, here, but I found Wonder Boys to be completely unwatchable garbage... I couldn't even get through one sitting. Fortunately, I didn't pay but $13 for my copy, so it made a decent profit for me when I sold it used on Ebay for $19
Old 04-20-01, 11:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wonder Boys... but it's really close.

Buy Wonder Boys now, and wait for the Almost Famous SE

Even if you decide to buy Almost Famous, you really can't go wrong.

---edited to add: Maybe I should read the thread fully next time before I post
Old 04-21-01, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would go with Wonder Boys on this one as well, better movie overall. I have them both, Famous is very excellent as well.
Old 04-21-01, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wonder Boys
Old 04-21-01, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would pick Almost Famous.

-Beebs
Old 04-21-01, 02:16 PM

Very even split! I would have to vote for Wonder Boys(I really enjoyed the film, and it's a great dvd), but it wouldn't be a waste to pick them both up.
Old 04-21-01, 03:54 PM

I found both movies enjoyable, and both are great films. I prefer Almost Famous personally since I'm a big fan of the music of that era, and I really loved the film. No complaints about Wonder Boys, though. But they're both keepers if you can afford them both.

[Edited by Rant on 04-21-01 at 02:00 PM]
Old 04-21-01, 08:09 PM

Both but Wonder Boys would be my first choice. Wonder Boys is my best picture of 2000.
Old 04-22-01, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Id go with Almost Famous, itsa great film, one of my favs of last year.
Old 04-24-01, 04:18 PM

almost famous

Well, if you didn't like Wonder Boys, you probably don't read, or have read much in your lifetime.
I enjoyed both films, but I have to give the edge to Cameron Crowe's direction in Almost Famous. Thought it was the best of 2000. I'm more of a music fan than literary.
But, like you said, I too am waiting for the SE of Almost Famous. Tough to hold out, but I've been good lately about not buying any more DVD's unless they are re-watchable.
The deals are few and none between for DVD sales today. Oh, how I miss BigStar.com's $10 no-min. purchases! And Reel.com was beautiful in helping me start my DVD library!

-those were the good ole days!

Old 04-24-01, 11:12 PM

I would have to go with Almost Famous. I also liked Wonder Boys but I rather enjoy Almost Famous.