Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Golden Eyes, The World Is Not Enough or Tomorrow Never Dies

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Golden Eyes, The World Is Not Enough or Tomorrow Never Dies

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-01, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have never watched any 007 movies before so I would like to try one of them. I want to watch those movies which has Pierce Brosnan in the film. Well, I am kinda confused which one of them to choose. They are Golden Eyes, The World Is Not Enough or Tomorrow Never Dies. Can you tell me your opinion about those movies? Thanks in advanced.

PS. Please rank them

1st -
2nd -
3rd -

Thanks once again

[Edited by arikevin on 04-18-01 at 04:15 AM]
Old 04-18-01, 05:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMHO you are better off starting w. one the Connery ones, one of those actually written by Ian Flemming Of the three you mention though I think I would rank them; Tomorrow Never Dies, Golden Eye and then The World is not Enough.
Old 04-18-01, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was super-hyped back in '95 to see brosnan get this part and looking forward to more bi-yearly adventures, but as soon as tina turners opening credit song blasted over the speakers the smile left my face and really hasn't returned since.
i can't understand why so many people hold up Goldeneye as an example of a "good" bond film.

Tomorrow had me encouraged because Brosnan played it a little tougher (not like an obnoxious irish frat boy in GE) and more business like, but the film was saddeled w/ a weak villian on par w/ Living Daylights Whittaker character-but i would rate LD as a vastly better JB film.

TWINE sounds great on paper, and i don't even really mind denise richards as a nucleur scientist as it's obvious that it's not meant to be taken to seriously. Sophie Marceu also makes one of the bond women ever but the movie is still lacking something. (if only it were lacking machine guns and the other assorted 80's/90's action movie cliche motifs)

in short Brosnans bonds, to me, have been the least interesting, most generic of the series.

twine is the only one of his i own on dvd, because it at least has marceau and a couple good demo sequences.

Old 04-18-01, 10:47 AM

I think GoldenEye is one of the very best--the other two Bronsons are better left alone. But GoldenEye has great action and is quite a lot of fun. I'd rank it up there with Connery's best.
Old 04-18-01, 02:18 PM

I'd rate it #1 Tomorrow Never Dies (though the villian is weak).#2 The world is not enough and #3 Golden Eye (crappy theme and Bronson's Frat Boy image (as previously mentioned.) I would recommend the older Bond's that were actually based on a book by Ian Fleming. From Russia with Love will always be my all time favorite. Just for a reference "The Living Daylights" was the last film based on a Fleming Book.
Old 04-18-01, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1. goldeneye
2. the world is not enough
3. tomorrow never dies

to each his own, i guess. i think we all like different things about bond...

i like that brosnan brought some of the presence and charisma back to the character that had been lacking since connery.
Old 04-18-01, 02:54 PM

Unless you just really have a thing for Brosnan I would not suggest any of those movies as your first 007 film. Comparing the three would be like chosing between being bunched in the nuts, kicked in the nuts, or having a bowling ball dropped on my nuts.
Old 04-18-01, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by nemein
IMHO you are better off starting w. one the Connery ones, one of those actually written by Ian Flemming Of the three you mention though I think I would rank them; Tomorrow Never Dies, Golden Eye and then The World is not Enough.
Agreed

I'd go with Goldfinger, the quintessential Bond
Old 04-18-01, 03:34 PM

I agree with starting with any Sean Connery Bond film(I would start with Dr. No or Goldfinger), but if you must start with a Brosnan go with Goldeneye or The World Is Not Enough as a close second(I thought Tomorrow Never Dies was sub-par).
Old 04-18-01, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some Slight SPOILERS:

*I would rank Goldeneye as one of the 2 or 3 best Bonds ever. I personally thought Brosnan really combined the best aspects of the other 3 main Bonds--I thought he had the suaveness of Moore, The physicality of Connery and the dark edge of Dalton. The pre-title sequence was fantastic---I loved those shots on the dam at night--very tense and high energy. I thought General Orumov, 006 and Onatopp were all top-notch Bond villains. Isabella Scorupco is a strong actress, and I thought she was likeable and believeable as the "Bond girl", and some nice comic relief from Robbie Coltrane, Minnie Driver and Jo Don Baker. Great tank chase through St. Petersburg, interesting story, great locales, good pacing. To me, this one had all the elements I would want in a Bond movie, with maybe the exception of a great title song.

Tomorrow Never Dies---man, I love Michelle Yeoh, but this movie just seemed really flat and uncreative to me. There's a big stunt involving a motorcycle and a helicopter that was a complete duplication of one from "Never Say Never Again". Also, the scoring felt really out of place---like when they played the big Bond theme during a dumb TEST of the remote controlled car. I only saw this one once--and I didn't have a desire to see it again--maybe I should give it another chance.

TWINE----a slight improvement over TND, IMO. Sophie Marceau was fantastic, a few great action scenes--especially the pre-title sequence, and the speedboat chase on the Thames.

I'd have to say I preferred Goldeneye by far out of these three.
Old 04-18-01, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Cptkirk
Just for a reference "The Living Daylights" was the last film based on a Fleming Book.
Actually, License to Kill uses elements from Live and Let Die the novel such as Felix's encounter with the shark and a few other small things. Kinda of like the half of the plot that was missing from the actual Live and Let Die movie.