Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

URL parsing issues

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

URL parsing issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-01, 12:13 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've noticed that auto creation of URL links that the vB software does has at least one issue (maybe more).

The url is truncated if there is a comma in it. I see these on a regular basis (especially news articles), so it would be a good idea if they could fix it. Bellow is an example.

Incorrect:
http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,6462,00.html

Correct (w/ vB code):
http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,6462,00.html

Correct (w/ HTML code):
<a href="http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,6462,00.html" tergat=_blank>http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,6462,00.html</a>

I've also seen some cases where the really long URLs get truncated even when manually typing in the vB code (only HTML code works in those cases).
Old 04-17-01, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,900 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Commas are used as a delimiter in vBulletin, which means that specific parsing quirk isn't a bug -- it's a feature.
Old 04-17-01, 12:23 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by ctyner
Commas are used as a delimiter in vBulletin, which means that specific parsing quirk isn't a bug -- it's a feature.
Even so, it's a dumb idea because commas are used often enough in URLs that they shouldn't be used as a delimiter. Perhaps a better idea is to use a comma followed by a whitespace (or other non-valid url character) as the delimiter.
Old 04-17-01, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Jason, when typing in the URL correctly in vB, you don't have to repeat the link inside the code like:

[u<B></b>rl="ht<b></b>tp://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,6462,00.html"]ht<b></b>tp://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,6462,00.html[/u<b></b>rl]

Instead all you have to do is to just add [ur<b></b>l] and a [/u<b></b>rl] at the beginning/end of the URL like:

[u<b></b>rl]ht<b></b>tp://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,6462,00.html[/u<b></b>rl]

Both will give you http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,6462,00.html.

Yeah, it's still a pain, but easier than repeating the URL.

[Edited by namja on 04-17-01 at 10:47 AM]
Old 04-17-01, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Jason,

You'll be pleased to know that both the comma parsing issue and the lengthy URL problem are corrected in vBulletin 2.x. Just did some testing and it worked fine...

-Adam
Old 04-17-01, 07:16 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by namja
Jason, when typing in the URL correctly in vB, you don't have to repeat the link inside the code like:

[u<i></i>rl="ht<b></b>tp://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,6462,00.html"]ht<b></b>tp://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,6462,00.html[/u<i></i>rl]

Instead all you have to do is to just add [ur<b></b>l] and a [/u<i></i>rl] at the beginning/end of the URL like:

[u<i></i>rl]ht<i></i>tp://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,6462,00.html[/u<i></i>rl]

Yeah, I was just doing the links that way as examples of what should happen with the automation.
Old 04-17-01, 07:34 PM
Registered

2.0 is close to being a released product. We're doing some testing with Release Candidate 1 and it worked great....

Old 04-18-01, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since we are on the subject I just have to ask....

Who in the world came up with the idea to use commas in an URL and transversely, why in the world would anyone make a comma a legitimate character for URL parsing?

As a programmer I only see this as a problem... like quotes in a database.
Old 04-18-01, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Same here, Ash.

Regardless, the issue's corrected in vBulletin 2.0.
Old 04-18-01, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It will be interesting if the other autoURL bug (or is it feature?) has been fixed. When I put an italic designator in front of a URL and the end-italic designator at the end of an automatic URL, the URL will be displayed, but it will not be automatic.

Actually, I've used that as a "feature" before. So, maybe I am not at all hot to change this.
Old 04-18-01, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font color=blue>Originally posted by BadAsh:
Who in the world came up with the idea to use commas in an URL and transversely, why in the world would anyone make a comma a legitimate character for URL parsing? As a programmer I only see this as a problem... like quotes in a database.<font color=black>

Some of the database-oriented webpage generators make webpages using the comma as the separator instead of using spaces, dashes, or underscores to build a URL. Perhaps some of these companies had their input to Microsoft when MS was seeking input from various companies during the design of Win95. The Operating System was seeking to be as compatible with everyone as possible. As you know, there are other weird characters allowed in URL and directory names as well....

If you could roll the clock way back, then perhaps you could eliminate the allowed use of comma.