DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : USB problems

asabase
04-16-01, 10:00 PM
I just installed that 4400USB scanner. It's working fine, but now my powershot S10 doesn't work. I have both running off of a hub that's built into my monitor. (I think it's passive, but that shouldn't matter anyway)

Edit: I've tried moving the camera to the root connection (the help file says it might not work on hubs). No luck there. Unplugging the scanner is the only way i can get it to work so far. Reinstalling software didn't help either.

[Edited by asabase on 04-16-01 at 08:30 PM]

gcribbs
04-17-01, 03:07 AM
so if you have your scanner attached to your monitor usb port and the powershot on the other usb port on your computer it does not work.

Do you know anyone who has a powered hub to rule out power related problems with the ports. I had all sorts of usb problems until i got a powered hub. I am not saying that is the issue since it also could be related to drivers, but I think that is less likely since the way you are able to get one to work is pull it off the usb port not uninstall the drivers.

I was having all sorts of issues using the nonpowered usb ports on my microsoft internet keyboard. I kept losing my usb mouse. When i went to a powered hub the problems went away.

If you can borrow one try it to see if it can help you.

asabase
04-17-01, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by gcribbs
so if you have your scanner attached to your monitor usb port and the powershot on the other usb port on your computer it does not work.

Correct, I get one or the other, but not both. If the camera is working (by having the scanner unplugged at the wall), and I plug the scanner back in, the scanner drivers won't load and I get that yellow thing in device manager (win2k). If the scanner is working, and I hook up the camera, the camera won't work - same yellow exclamation thing.

Do you know anyone who has a powered hub to rule out power related problems with the ports

Nope. Power shouldn't be a problem since the printer is the only thing sharing the hub and it's been off the whole time. You usually run into power problems with devices that don't have a power cord and use the USB bus for power.
I'll be on the lookout though.

gcribbs
04-17-01, 02:57 PM
looking at the visioneer site, it seems that the the visioneer has problems with a few printers(epson,epson stylus and lexmark) so it looks like it may also have a problem with your canon powershot s10.

Did you try emailing visioneer?

They have workarounds for the printer related problems maybe they can give you ideas about how to solve the specific problem with your digital camera.

It is also unlikely but maybe canon will have some ideas if you email them.

sorry to not be more help.

Good luck

asabase
04-17-01, 10:52 PM
Ok, thanks. Actually, I haven't tried it without my printer plugged in. I'll try that when I get the time...if not I'll email them....wait the 10 weeks for a reply...then resume cursing :)

asabase
04-19-01, 09:48 PM
I was checking my monitor specs, and it says it's a powered hub, so that can't be the problem. Must be crappy drivers. Just added my CueCat and didn't have any problems with it. Of course the scanner was unplugged. :)

gcribbs
04-20-01, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by asabase
I was checking my monitor specs, and it says it's a powered hub, so that can't be the problem. Must be crappy drivers. Just added my CueCat and didn't have any problems with it. Of course the scanner was unplugged. :)

You are right I bet now it is driver related problems. I hope they resolve it for you.