Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Who else remembers Toonami?

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-16, 09:03 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to watch it when I was 2, 3, and 4 with my brother on Saturday nights. My favourite shows were Zatch Bell and Pokemon, and then later Wulin Warriors and Naruto. As well as Bo-Bo-Bo-Bo-Bo-Bo-Bo. But what I really liked were the TOM bumpers. My eyes were glued to the screen when TOM came on. I got more excited when SARA came on, I liked her. I remember when I was around 3 my brother left to get something, and a game review came on, and it was some rail shooter and racing game hybrid, and I remember towards the end, TOM adjusted himself and said "Oh, that's a load" or something like that. I started laughing. SO HARD. My brother comes back and asks me why I'm laughing so hard, and I say "HE SAID IT WAS A LOAD" or something in my 3-year-old language. I had to rewind it and show it to him and he never understood why I found that so hysterical.

I stopped watching Toonami after they broadcasted the movie Mosaic, which happened to be the last TOM 3 broadcast. The reason why is because my parents thought I should have a better sleep schedule, so they sent me to bed at 6:30 or something. I was going to bed at 11 because of Toonami.

I started watching the revived block two months ago, and developed a crush on TOM. I liked him and found him funny as a kid (see: the story above) but I became sexually attracted to him and his voice. Yum!

So has anyone else watched Toonami during that era, and for the life of me can you tell me what that game was and what TOM exactly said during the review? I need to watch that again.
Old 07-24-16, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
Re: Who else remembers Toonami?

Igpx:

http://toonami.wikia.com/wiki/File:I...mi_Game_Review

I just looked at the game reviews on that wiki and looked for ones that looked like racers/rail shooters. I think I was a little old to watch Toonami regularly by that point (and preferred subs to dubs) but I was impressed that they brought over Gundam Wing and started somewhat of a domestic Gundam craze for a while.

And now they've got Jojo, One Punch Man, and Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans, plus they're still chugging along with One Piece.
Old 07-24-16, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

I watched it a bit in 2001-2002. I mainly watched DB, DBZ and Mobile Suit Gundam. The Midnight Run (their...midnight run of Toonami stuff) was a cool block. Plus they showed the Daft Punk videos off Discovery.
Old 07-24-16, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I was watching Toonami all the way back in like 1997.

Dragon Ball, ReBoot, The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest, Gundam Wing, etc.
Old 07-24-16, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wasn't DragonBall (not Z) on prior to Toonami though? I'm not talking about the failed Harmony Gold dub or the Hawaii-only sub I remember it being on early morning on some random network channel, so probably syndicated.
Old 07-24-16, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Wasn't DragonBall (not Z) on prior to Toonami though? I'm not talking about the failed Harmony Gold dub or the Hawaii-only sub I remember it being on early morning on some random network channel, so probably syndicated.
It came on right before DBZ. I'd come home from school, Reboot would be on, then Dragon Ball came on, and then Dragon Ball Z. All in the same day. Dragon Ball Z first premiered on Toonmai on August 31, 1998. The continued success of DBZ on Toonami led to them airing the original Dragon Ball series, which premiered on August 20, 2001.
Old 07-25-16, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Yeah- I remember taping DB and Mobile Suit when they first came on, late summer 2001. Only got into DBZ that previous June.
Old 08-20-16, 09:05 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by fujishig
Igpx
I just looked at the game reviews on that wiki and looked for ones that looked like racers/rail shooters. I think I was a little old to watch Toonami regularly by that point (and preferred subs to dubs) but I was impressed that they brought over Gundam Wing and started somewhat of a domestic Gundam craze for a while.

And now they've got Jojo, One Punch Man, and Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans, plus they're still chugging along with One Piece.
THAT'S IT. THANK YOU.
1:09-1:10 brought back memories.

By the way, remember Swayzak, the red sexy virus guy? I was born a week after that event ended though
Old 01-20-17, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Bible of my childhood.
Old 04-03-17, 03:22 PM

wow i remember toonami gosh I miss those days of ronin warriors dragon ball z gundam wing sailor moon reboot thundercats
Old 04-03-17, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Somewhat, but it was more of [adult swim] playing Tenchi, Inuyasha, FLCL and the like that my wife and I really enjoyed.
Old 11-17-17, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like Toonami is bringing in the Black Clover dub starting in December. I know most dismiss it as generic shonen, but I like generic shonen, I like the manga, and this may be the rare case where I'll greatly prefer the dub because the Japanese Asta... takes some getting used to.
Old 11-20-17, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Black Clover is great. Sure its a Naruto clone buts its done very well and I like it way more than Boruto.
Old 11-24-17, 01:29 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
The Bible of my childhood.
Swayzak the virus was pretty hot...
Old 09-22-18, 07:14 AM

I remember the robot host starting out smaller and mute. Later he grew up and became a cool guy.