Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Just Discovered Subtitles

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-15, 09:54 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not trying to start a debate but I've been watching anime dubbed for the last few years...well since I started watching it and for the most part always ended up scratching my head wondering what the big deal is. I usually felt like something's missing or I'm missing something but couldn't put my finger on it...was like I was only getting part of the movie or series and not the whole thing.

Anyway last week I watched one and noticed there was more said in the subtitles than the dubbed version and I thought that was interesting so watched a few more and it's like WOW...that's a whole different movie. Made a huge difference with Ghost in the Shell movies and Berserk movies.

Now I can go back and re-watch all the anime's I have and see them again for the first time and not be left wondering what that was about. Never knew there could be such a big difference but there is. I'm a slow reader too and haven't really had any problems and noticed it does get easier as I watch them. I highly recommend subtitles if you watched something you didn't like the first time dubbed. It's like I'm getting into anime for the first time the way it was meant to. Anyway just wanted to share my good news!
Old 12-27-15, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts
Re: Just Discovered Subtitles

I try to keep up with dubs and subs for my favorite anime. I would generally say I prefer the Japanese voices 75% of the time to the English dubs. Anime voice acting is taken very seriously in Japan with professional schools and kids growing up wanting to be voice actors. Whereas here in the states it's mostly failed actors that have never seen an anime before they get hired for the gig. The female Japanese voice actresses are also much more comfortable handling certain roles that American actresses simply don't process well.

There are major exceptions. Funimation had some incredible voice talent around a decade ago, many of those English dubs are essential and add a lot of flavor to a show. Hellsing is far more entertaining with the English voices and J Michael Tatum voicing Alucard. As Funimation has been cranking out more and more English dubs in recent years, their quality has gone way down.
Old 12-28-15, 04:54 AM
Cool New Member

Have heard good things about Hellsing Ultimate English voice actors and it's on my "get list". FMA Brotherhood's supposed to be good too...I have it and agree. Am sure there are a lot that are good ones but for now I'll be staying with subtitles since I'm just getting started with them. Thanks for your reply Phantom.
Old 12-28-15, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

The other really great English dubs I can think of off the top of my head are XXXholic and Spice & Wolf. Brina Palencia was great voicing Holo/Horo in Spice & Wolf.
Old 12-28-15, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I attended a convention panel a few years ago with a couple of Funimation's voice actors, and they were talking about the challenges involved. You could tell that they saw it as a craft and not just a fallback profession.
Old 12-28-15, 01:44 PM
Cool New Member

Might have to check out one of those conventions sometime...does sound like fun.

Just got but haven't watched yet:

Samurai Keeper YKO
Maoyu
Hakuoki Series
Patema Inverted
First Squad

Waiting on:

Harlock Space Pirate
Elliptical Orbit and Symbiotic Planet...two 45 minute films together on one Blu ray by the guy that did Appleseed...has some good bonus features also.

Watched the first Appleseed movie on dvd the other night and it still looks as good as current Blu rays. Have all the other Appleseed movies and Vexille SE in Blu and looking forward to watching them again in Japanese and English subtitles...should be cool. Watching Appleseed in dvd with subs made a big difference in understanding what's going on...for me anyway.

Last edited by william273; 12-28-15 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-30-15, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex might be the only dub I have ever cared for. I have no interest in them.
Old 12-30-15, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by william273
Might have to check out one of those conventions sometime...does sound like fun.
I hit the Seattle one nearly every year. I don't do cosplay and I don't buy much, but I like to sit in on the panels, watch some stuff in the screening rooms, and ask nearly naked chicks if I can take pictures of them and have them agree without hesitation.
Old 12-30-15, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I like to . . . ask nearly naked chicks if I can take pictures of them and have them agree without hesitation.
Have you considered posting in the Random Pic Thread? Thanks in advance!