Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Summer 2014 Simulcasts

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Summer 2014 Simulcasts

Old 06-30-14, 08:11 AM

Received 499 Likes on 360 Posts
Summer 2014 Simulcasts

So the Summer 2014 season starts up this week. What shows are you looking forward to?

Sword Art Online II is going to be the 800-pound gorilla. It seems like most people that have read the light novels say that this story arc is the best one. So I'm definitely looking forward to it.

I'm interested to see what they do with Ao Haru Ride. I enjoy the manga. But it's still ongoing. So they'll either have to end it short, or make up an ending.

My most anticipated show is Glasslip. I love the slice-of-life shows from PA Works (Hanasaku Iroha, Tari Tari). And nano.RIPE is doing the ED.
Old 06-30-14, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 128 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Summer 2014 Simulcasts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
My most anticipated show is Glasslip.
You and me both. I'm curious about Jinsei as well, but I don't know if Crunchyroll will get it.
Old 07-01-14, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 781 Likes on 655 Posts

I'll wait to see what you guys recommend before checking something out. I'm trying to catch up on a huge backlog of shows. I'm working on Maria Holic at the moment.
Old 07-02-14, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Crunchyroll just announced ALDNOAH.ZERO, which looks like it could be interesting. Still waiting for someone to announce Jinsei...
Old 07-02-14, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by printerati
Crunchyroll just announced ALDNOAH.ZERO, which looks like it could be interesting. Still waiting for someone to announce Jinsei...
Cool. I might add to my list at Crunchyroll. I liked Fate/Zero and they're same people that work on Aldnoah.Zero.
Old 07-06-14, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The animes I'm going to watch so far are

Rail Wars!
Sword Art Online II
Space Dandy season 2

Momo Kyun Sword looks like it could be really good

for now I will watch Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal, and Locodol

Last edited by chrisc31; 07-06-14 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-08-14, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm interested in watching Captain Earth.
Old 07-08-14, 11:15 PM

So far I've really been enjoying the shows this season. There's lots of good stuff.

It's always hard to tell how a show's going to turn out based on the first episode. But these are the ones that impressed me most so far.

Barakamon - This might turn into my favorite show of the season. Reminds me of a Miyazaki slice-of-life movie. Too bad Crunchyroll didn't get US rights. Hopefully Funimation will add it to their schedule soon.

Blue Spring Ride (Ao Haru Ride) - They've done a great job of adapting the manga to TV. Kimi ni Todoke fans will love this one.

Glasslip - I'm not sure what to think of the story yet. But I love the way PA Works creates a location that's so vivid and realistic. I feel that if I ever visited the town, I'd recognize everything and know my way around.

HaNaYaMaTa - Very cute. I love the art style. It seems like a really enjoyable show.

Akame ga Kill! - I was really surprised by this one. The storyline is dark and depressing. But the comedy is goofy and lighthearted. It's similar to World Conquest Zvezda Plot.
Old 07-08-14, 11:46 PM

These shows were pretty good. I wasn't blown away by the first episodes. But I'll definitely keep watching them.

Sword Art Online II - It's off to a slow start. I wasn't immediately sucked in, the way I was in season one. This episode was all set-up. Hopefully the action starts soon.

Rail Wars - I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. It's a great balance of comedy and action. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun - A really funny show. But it seemed to be missing something. I think that once the additional characters are introduced, it'll be a big improvement.

Locodol - It was cute and enjoyable. But I want to see a couple more episodes before passing judgement.

Probably the only show I didn't like much was Sabagebu. It's like a poor man's version of Stella C3-Bu. And I wasn't crazy about that show either.
Old 07-09-14, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As I thought Momo Kyun Sword Is going to be good.
Old 07-14-14, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glasslip - I'm not sure what to think of the story yet. But I love the way PA Works creates a location that's so vivid and realistic. I feel that if I ever visited the town, I'd recognize everything and know my way around.

Sword Art Online II - It's off to a slow start. I wasn't immediately sucked in, the way I was in season one. This episode was all set-up. Hopefully the action starts soon.
After watching the first episodes of both, I agree with you on both. The SAO2 setup in particular seems a bit flimsy.

I am going to finish up a couple of spring series before I tackle any additional summer shows, but ALDNOAH.ZERO will be next. Still no announcement from anyone on Jinsei, unfortunately.
Old 07-15-14, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've thought the first two episodes of SAO II were pretty good for what is likely to have a very dense plot in the long run. They haven't pulled an anime trope and cooled off the Asuna-Kirito relationship to continue the possibility of a harem.
Old 07-26-14, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Three episodes in, I am really enjoying ALDNOAH.ZERO so far, just a great mix of action, drama, intrigue, you name it. This series hit the ground running.

Sword Art Online II, on the other hand, is still in setup mode (and rather disjointed) after three episodes. I'm sure they'll start pulling it together soon enough.

I still have no idea where Glasslip is heading, but it's still a fun watch.
Old 07-28-14, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

People are really missing out if they aren't watching Invaders of the Rokujyoma!?. It has great humor and an eclectic cast of characters. Some of the jokes kind of remind me of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
Old 07-28-14, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far, I have watched this summer simulcasts:

Akame ga Kill! - Not bad, interesting characters and BigDave is right about similar with World Conquest Zvezda Plot.

ALDNOAH.ZERO - was bit confusing at beginning, but it's good so far.

Sword Art Online II - it's just okay, but last episode was pretty good.
Old 08-04-14, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by McHawkson
Sword Art Online II - it's just okay, but last episode was pretty good.
I agree. It finally kicked into gear in the fourth episode, and the fifth episode was great.

Glasslip is starting to piss me off. I kind of waved off the people who complained from the start that there wasn't much of a story, but that's becoming quite apparent now. Moreover, I just don't care about anyone's ability to predict the future because I haven't been given a reason to care. Oh, your big prediction so far is that a teenage girl will cry at some point in the future? You don't say.
Old 08-25-14, 09:04 PM

Probably the only show I didn't like much was Sabagebu. It's like a poor man's version of Stella C3-Bu. And I wasn't crazy about that show either.
I was wrong about Sabagebu. That show is hilarious. It took a couple episodes to get going. But it's got some of the funniest scenes I've watched in a long time.
Old 08-25-14, 09:26 PM

It's been a good season so far. We're about halfway through it. And there's at least 7-8 shows I look forward to watching each week:

Sword Art Online II
Blue Spring Ride
Barakamon
HaNaYaMaTa
Locodol
Invaders of the Rokujyoma!?
Sabagebu
Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun

I ended up dropping Akame ga Kill! because it was just too dark & cruel for my taste.

And I haven't kept up with Glasslip because it was kinda boring and didn't seem to be going anywhere.
Old 08-26-14, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And I haven't kept up with Glasslip because it was kinda boring and didn't seem to be going anywhere.
I'm still keeping up with it, but it still really hasn't gone anywhere. They just (possibly) introduced a new wrinkle with "David's" mental state. "Please stay attractive" is also one of the dumbest things I have ever heard come out of a character's mouth.

I'm also keeping up with Sword Art Online II (which just keeps getting better), ALDNOAH.ZERO (which started off great and hasn't let up), and DRAMAtical Murder (which is entertaining but kind of a mess). I have Blue Spring Ride and Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun in my queue, but haven't started them yet.
Old 08-30-14, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

SAO II has been somewhat disappointing to date. It's not terrible but no one would be talking about it if it weren't a sequel to one of the most popular anime.

I've only seen a couple of episodes but I am digging Rail Wars!.
Old 09-24-14, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rail Wars - I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. It's a great balance of comedy and action. I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I've only seen a couple of episodes but I am digging Rail Wars!.
I'm about halfway through the season and am enjoying it as well, although the fanservice is a bit much at times. Sakurai's breasts conveniently seem to get larger if the situation demands it.