Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Help with Evangelion

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Help with Evangelion

Old 06-08-14, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
Help with Evangelion

Okay, I first saw Neon Genesis Evangelion back in the mid 2000s on PBS. It was an interesting but strange show about mechas fighting "angels," and in the episode there was a giant angel/creature crucified with no legs. After reading more about it the show sounds really good but I don't know where to start, or how to. I would like to watch the original series and also "The End of Evangelion" which is supposed to replace the controversial last two episodes.

Now I check out Amazon and most of the DVD sets are like $200+. Also there's so many different DVDs. Evangelion 1.11, 2.22, 3.33, Rebuild, Platinum Perfect, etc. Is 1.11 just a remastered version of the original series? If so are they any good or they like Lucas tinkerings with the OT? Is there any streaming of the series on hulu?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 06-08-14, 04:32 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 525 Likes on 462 Posts
Re: Help with Evangelion

Neon Geneses Evangelion TV is currently not licensed in North America and supposedly not available until the Rebuild movies are fully released. Even after that, it's not 100% certain it will be available right away. It's expected that Japan will probably do Blu-ray for the TV series. If potential Blu-ray rights is involved, it may hinder things even more. As for the movie (End of Evangelion), it's out of print for many years now. It's very likely that the license is not available. No streaming options are available. DVDs are only available from 3rd party venders (high prices).

FUNimation has licensed the first three Rebuild movies (alternate retelling is the shortest way to describe them):
- Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone [released]
- Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance [released]
- Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo [delayed with no official home video release date]

The fourth (final) Rebuild movie hasn't been screened in Japan yet and its progress is not 100% known.

You can buy DVD or Blu-ray for Ev 1.11, 2.22, and 3.33. As noted before, 3.33 is on a holding pattern since FUNimation delayed it.
Old 06-08-14, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brayzie
Now I check out Amazon and most of the DVD sets are like $200+.
I need to post my reaction, which is that the people who bought it on VHS paid much, much more than that. Especially the people who bought on on subtitled VHS.
Old 06-09-14, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Wow, that thinpack silver box of the series was dirt cheap for the longest time, I had to check eBay to confirm that it's started getting high again. I picked up the regular sized silver set piece by piece a few years ago, was able to get each one used pretty cheaply.

Although...

... I still haven't watched it
Old 06-09-14, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're buying DVDs, you want the silver "platinum" packs. Those are the remastered ones with the director's cut episodes.
Old 06-09-14, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,489 Posts

Wait, they showed this on PBS?
Old 06-09-14, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts

Also, note that 1.11, 2.22, etc are "director's cuts" of the Rebuild movies.

Originally Posted by fujishig
Wait, they showed this on PBS?
It aired on a PBS affiliate first in the US:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...elion_episodes
The series was first aired in North America on San Francisco–area PBS member station KTEH (now KQEH) in 2000.
This news article from 2000 notes that only the first 4 episodes were slated to air during a pledge run. It's possible that the rest of the series aired sometime later on the channel though:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ngelion-on-pbs
Old 06-10-14, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, I watched it earlier than I thought. PBS is also where I first saw 'Inner Senses' starring Leslie Cheung.
Old 06-10-14, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It appears it is pretty easy to find them for not much money at all on the aftermarket. No clue why it is $200+ on Amazon. Although, you do have to worry about bootleg versions I guess...
Old 06-10-14, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have nearby FYE and Suncoast stores try checking it out its cheap in those stores.

My version are these:

Old 06-11-14, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Platinum set looks nice. I just saw a youtube preview of Evangelion 2.22. Looks okay but I'm definitely gonna try to find the original.