Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Michael Bay wants to direct the live action "Evangelion" movie

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Old 05-25-14, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Time to mobilize and prevent this travesty.

http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/...ive-action.htm

One of the most popular mecha animes of all-time, Neon Genesis Evangelion is probably going to have a live action adaptation and Michael Bay allegedly is putting his hat into the ring to be the director of the film.

Yes, you've read that right. The Neon Genesis Evangelion live action adaptation is probably going to be directed by Michael Bay.

According to the Tranformers News Center, Michael Bay was asked by journalists if he wants to direct any other franchises after his stint with Transformers and The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Michael Bay then responded by saying "I don't know if you are familiar with 'Evangelion' but that's one movie that I want to direct".

When asked if Michael Bay is working on the Neon Genesis Evangelion live action movie right now, he just smiled at the journalist who asked him that question.

Could that mean that they are already working on the Neon Genesis Evangelion live action movie? What do you think about Michael Bay directing Evangelion? Sound off in the comments below!
Old 05-26-14, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 780 Likes on 654 Posts
Re: Michael Bay wants to direct the live action "Evangelion" movie

I doubt it happens but you never know. Big-time directors like Bay usually don't announce their next project in a casual answer with journalists.

I assume he would give it the Transformers treatment, one in which the movie only vaguely resembles the original source material.
Old 05-26-14, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any casting information?

A young Josh Hartnett, e.g. in O, would have been my choice to play Kaoru. An adult Josh Hartnett would be my choice to play Kaji.
Old 05-26-14, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

I remember Bay saying that he barely wanted to take the Armageddon job, because he wasn't interested in sci-fi.

I don't know if the marketing could counter the nerd rage. People hold Evangelion very close. It could be Bay's critically acclaimed opus and still get hammered by fans.
Old 05-26-14, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I remember Bay saying that he barely wanted to take the Armageddon job, because he wasn't interested in sci-fi.

I don't know if the marketing could counter the nerd rage. People hold Evangelion very close. It could be Bay's critically acclaimed opus and still get hammered by fans.
I doubt the studio cares about the five people that know what an Evangelion is in America.
Old 05-27-14, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I doubt the studio cares about the five people that know what an Evangelion is in America.
Yeah, seriously. Evangelion isn't nearly as popular as it was between 1995 and the early 00s.
Old 05-31-14, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this one actually happening? I've heard supposed remakes of Full Metal Panic to Cowboy Beebop to Akira but I don't see any progress here. What makes this one different?

I could see a younger Shia LaBeouf playing Shinji though, speaking of Michael Bay. He is certainly enough of a whiny bitch to do it.
Old 06-02-14, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Hollywood mostly realizes a lot of these anime properties don't translate that well to mainstream America. I can only think of a very small handful which could retain the essence of what made them special as anime in a Hollywood production. Death Note being the foremost example.
Old 06-02-14, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What about Edge of Tomorrow? That's based on a "light novel", which is basically the literary equivalent of anime.
Old 06-03-14, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dugan
What about Edge of Tomorrow? That's based on a "light novel", which is basically the literary equivalent of anime.
I haven't seen it yet, so we shall see about that one.
Old 06-03-14, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I would like to see a live-action Akira or Evangelion made by a Japanese film studio. The story takes place in Japan, and I'd prefer it with Japanese actors rather then it becoming Americanized.

Last edited by brayzie; 06-03-14 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-03-14, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by brayzie
I would like to see a live-action Akira or Evangelion made by a Japanese film studio. The story takes place in Japan, and I'd prefer it with Japanese actors then it becoming Americanized.
This x infinity
Old 06-03-14, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 209 Posts

I would like to see a live-action Akira or Evangelion made by a Japanese film studio. The story takes place in Japan, and I'd prefer it with Japanese actors rather then it becoming Americanized.
Well, the Japanese do make tons of live-action movies based on manga which are also given the anime treatment, e.g. RUROUNI KENSHIN, DEVILMAN, CASSHERN, GANTZ, DEATH NOTE, YAMATO and a bunch I've forgotten. I liked the RUROUNI KENSHIN movie a lot, but not the DEATH NOTE or CASSHERN ones. Haven't seen the GANTZ ones yet.
Old 06-03-14, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

So why hasn't Japan made more live-action film adaptations of their more fantasy based anime and manga properties? The profits wouldn't be enough to justify the budgets needed?
Old 06-03-14, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's a live-action Kiki's Delivery Service in production...
Old 09-07-14, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

So why hasn't Japan made more live-action film adaptations of their more fantasy based anime and manga properties? The profits wouldn't be enough to justify the budgets needed?
I don't think the profits are there to budget a full cast of characters. And we don't want to end up with a few dozen Power Ranger movies.
Old 09-08-14, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I don't think the profits are there to budget a full cast of characters. And we don't want to end up with a few dozen Power Ranger movies.
They make movie spin-offs of the current sentai (Power Rangers) seasons all the time in Japan. They never make it to the U.S., though.

They're not big-budget, though. They're often just glorified TV episodes or "team-up" specials combining two different sets of sentai heroes. But they do two or three a year and they do show up in theaters.
Old 09-08-14, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Have you seen these Japanese live action movies? They're not super low budget but definitely don't have the budgets of similar American movies, and you wouldn't get the global box office that an American movie would have either.

I've only seen the first Gantz movie, which was ok, but I don't think they'll ever do a movie of the full on sci-fi craziness Gantz becomes later. They won't have a LoTR budget for something like Berserk either.

I'm kinda interested in seeing the new Gatchaman movie, though.
Old 09-08-14, 07:49 PM

And if he does?

People will rant for a couple days and then get over it.
Old 09-16-14, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Given the middling business that Pacific Rim did, I'm surprised anyone is considering this. Transformers was a giant brand name, this has the smallest possible cult appeal (I must revisit it someday, but it looks like a lot has happened since I left, remasters, new animation, all kinds of things.). Maybe Bay's name would get people into seats, but it'd still be a tough sell, I would think.