Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Cardcaptor Sakura on Blu-ray and DVD [Bilingual]

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Old 04-30-14, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Via Rightstuf

Cardcaptor Sakura Blu-ray Complete Series (Hyb) Premium Edition
Cardcaptor Sakura DVD Set 1 (Hyb)
Cardcaptor Sakura DVD Set 2 (Hyb)
Cardcaptor Sakura DVD Set 3 (Hyb)

Synopsis:
Season 1

Ten-year-old Sakura lives a pretty normal life with her older brother Toya, and widowed father Fujitaka. Or she did... until the day she returned home from school to discover a glowing book in her father's study. After opening the book and releasing the cards within, Sakura is tasked with collecting each of these magical cards, while trying to live the life of a normal fourth grader. In the monumental task of collecting all the cards, Sakura must rely on her friends and family, and decide what she finds most important in life.

Season 2
Sakura's journey to recapture the Clow Cards continues. With most of them captured, she finds that the remaining cards are going to put up a fight. Along the way, she must also navigate the struggles of moving on to the fifth grade and contend with the ever-evolving romances in her life. And before long, she discovers that there's a not so pleasant surprise waiting for her at the end of her card-capturing journey...

Season 3
After a harrowing journey to collect the cards and prove her worth as their master, Sakura finds herself in a whole new world of trouble as mysterious events begin to threaten the small town of Tomoeda. To make matters worse, Yukito seems to be having some unexplained troubles of his own. With no cards left on the loose, Sakura must form a special bond with her cards to quell each new disturbance, and discover what could possibly be causing them before the lives of Tomoeda's residents are damaged beyond repair!
Contains episodes 1-70.

This premium edition includes a 76-page, full-color artbook featuring Tomoyo's diary of Sakura's adventure and character illustrations!

Special Features: Clean Openings, Clean Endings.

Spoken Languages: English (mono only), Japanese, English subtitles.

Note: Each episode features both English and Japanese audio, and is unedited.
Date Available - Aug 5 2014

Last edited by chrisc31; 05-18-14 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-30-14, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts
Re: Cardcaptor Sakura on Blu-ray and DVD [Bilingual]

Is this a new dub then? Because I thought the original reason they released dub and sub separately was because of the editing.
Old 05-01-14, 12:39 AM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 520 Likes on 457 Posts

It's existing dub from Animax.

https://twitter.com/worldofcrap/stat...55044127854592 (Justin Sevakis)
Old 05-01-14, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is amazing news. Cardcaptor Sakura is a genuine classic. One of the best anime serious around. The animation quality is almost unbelievable, it's that good.
Old 05-01-14, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,370 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Is this on Netflix or Crunchyroll (I'm at work, can't check right now). Always been interested in this series.

tks
Old 05-01-14, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Is this on Netflix or Crunchyroll (I'm at work, can't check right now). Always been interested in this series.

tks
Nope and Nope, I could see it being on Hulu and Crunchyroll next year.

Last edited by chrisc31; 05-18-14 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-06-14, 07:59 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is one of my favorite series... The story and animation were really well done. Even the movies released were well done, IMO....

This is one series, though, where you just have to ignore that they brought it over to the United States.. They changed it to just Cardcaptors... and totally changed the focus of the show and ruined the story. Its like they couldn't have a "cartoon" in the US that featured a strong female lead.. so they edited the series to make the male character appear to be the lead with Sakura as his sidekick.
Old 08-26-14, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

So I'm a little disappointed in the release. I just got it so I haven't watched the whole thing, but the reports of some questionable subtitles has me a bit worried. This lacks the PCM 5.1 Japanese audio that the Japanese release boasted. But, and maybe this seems a little weird, the worst thing about it is the box it comes in... certainly doesn't look like a premium release. I think it's the title font or something.

Ah well, still glad it was released and look forward to watching it with my daughter.
Old 08-27-14, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand
This is one of my favorite series... The story and animation were really well done. Even the movies released were well done, IMO....

This is one series, though, where you just have to ignore that they brought it over to the United States.. They changed it to just Cardcaptors... and totally changed the focus of the show and ruined the story. Its like they couldn't have a "cartoon" in the US that featured a strong female lead.. so they edited the series to make the male character appear to be the lead with Sakura as his sidekick.
I still haven't been able to find this to watch and I just can't fathom how they were able to do this. Wouldn't the majority of the footage show Sakura doing the lead action? How do you write/dub around that?
Old 09-08-14, 08:11 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still haven't been able to find this to watch and I just can't fathom how they were able to do this. Wouldn't the majority of the footage show Sakura doing the lead action? How do you write/dub around that?
I think I watched one episode.. but from what I gathered they heavily edited it and combined episodes...or left them out all together. The original series was 70 episodes long. The dub was 39 episodes. They started the series first episode right with the episode showing Syaoran's introduction.

They promoted it as a boys show in the vein of Pokemon and that "gotta catch them all" mentality with the Clow Cards.

Here's everything you need to know about it.

http://ccs.wikia.com/wiki/Cardcaptors
Old 09-11-14, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, anything to avoid a strong female character. Although, Buffy and Xena were still on the air, I know the demographics were slightly different but surely they could have tried to capture some of that fanbase.
Old 09-11-14, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 209 Posts

Wow, anything to avoid a strong female character. Although, Buffy and Xena were still on the air, I know the demographics were slightly different but surely they could have tried to capture some of that fanbase.
Made no sense at the time either. "Sailor Moon" had already been a major hit in U.S. syndication.
Old 09-11-14, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The edited Cardcaptors version was a ridiculous alteration to the series in just about every way. It was technically my introduction to the series, but while there were elements I loved about it (the animation in particular) it felt way off-base, and I had heard about the original version.

Once I started to see the original Japanese language version that was the necessary way to see the show. Cardcaptors isn't even remotely the same and is a rather lame attempt to do what has already been stated in this thread. I mean, come on, they even started around episode 8 or so and completely changed the tone.

Here is my review of the NIS America Cardcaptor Sakura Blu-ray set for those interested: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/65230...emium-edition/