Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-14, 02:09 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not know about this before seeing some posts explode on twitter and Facebook.

I still hate that the US Never got a sub/dub release of Sailor Stars. I have The original and R box sets, then the individual disc releases for S and SS. I wish S and SS had a nice boxset like original and R.

Spoiler:

2014's New Sailor Moon Crystal Anime's 1st Image,
posted on 2014-03-13 22:00 EDT

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal to stream worldwide on Niconico this July

Toei Animation uploaded an unlinked image to its official website for the upcoming Sailor Moon anime, and the image reveals the first key image, the title, and the synopsis for the new series. The image notes that Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal will premiere in July and will stream simultaneously worldwide on the Niconico website.

The image also lists the previously revealed main staff, and reveals a synopsis:

Usagi Tsukino is a second-year middle school girl who is a little clumsy and a crybaby, but she is full of energy. One day, she meets Luna, a black cat with a crescent moon on her forehead, and she transforms into Sailor Moon, a sailor-uniformed pretty guardian of love and justice! As a chosen guardian of justice, Usagi seems to have a mission to find the Illusionary Silver Crystal with the other guardians and to protect the princess.

Meanwhile, the queen of the Dark Kingdom, Queen Beryl, also sends minions to the town where Usagi lives to obtain the Illusionary Silver Crystal, which has immense power. This causes strange events to unfold….

Can Sailor Moon really find the Illusionary Silver Crystal with the other Sailor guardians, and protect the princess…!?

The official website launched a countdown page earlier on Thursday with the words "eight days left... coming soon" with a waxing moon. The countdown does not begin until Friday.

The new Sailor Moon anime will begin streaming worldwide on the Niconico service in July. Producer Atsutoshi Umezawa (Precure franchise) said that it "is not remaking the previous anime, but adapting the original manga and starting from scratch again."

Munehisa Sakai (One Piece, One Piece: Strong World, Suite Precure) is directing this new adaptation of Naoko Takeuchi's original manga at Toei Animation, the studio behind the first anime. Yūji Kobayashi (scripts on Saint Seiya Omega, Smile Precure!) is in charge of the series scripts, and Momoiro Clover Z is performing the theme song.

Yukie Sako (chief animation director on Majestic Prince, Nyan Koi!) is designing the characters, and Yasuharu Takanashi (Naruto Shippūden, Fairy Tail, Precure franchise) is composing. The art directors will be Takashi Kurahashi (Mononoke, Gatchaman Crowds, Hakaba Kitarō) and Yumi Hosaka (Mononoke, Gatchaman Crowds). King Records is producing the soundtrack.

Takeuchi launched the original magical girl team manga series in the shōjo monthly manga magazine Nakayoshi in 1992. It soon spawned anime, a live-action television project, musicals, and other adaptations, and it also sparked a worldwide boom. The 20th anniversary project began in 2012, and featured the first musical in eight years at the AiiA Theater Tokyo last September. Kodansha has been republishing the original manga in a complete edition since last November, and Kodansha USA Publishing's Kodansha Comics imprint has been publishing the manga in North America.
Old 04-28-14, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal

They've finally released the voice acting cast and the character designs for the new series:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...n-crystal-cast

One thing I REALLY like is they avoided the moe-like character designs common in anime nowadays--note it is much more faithful to the original Naoko Takeuchi manga character designs. I can't wait for the TV series premiere in July 2014.
Old 04-28-14, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I'll be checking this out. I watched the original series when it came to the US and thought it was pretty good.
Old 04-28-14, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I've been aware of this reboot for a couple of years now, when it was first announced they made it seem like it was right around the corner.

I have fond memories of watching the US dub version on the USA network years ago, so I'm not sure how well this will maintain my interest, but I want to give it a chance.
Old 07-05-14, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eUiewJt80eQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The first episode was a good remake of the original first episode, I think they made Sailor Moon look like she should be in college and not 14years old.

Last edited by chrisc31; 07-05-14 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-05-14, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc31
The first episode was a good remake of the original first episode, I think they made Sailor Moon look like she should be in college and not 14years old.
Be glad they didn't make her all moe-looking. I'll probably check this out later today or tomorrow.
Old 07-05-14, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I used to watch the show all the time but can't say I'm looking forward to this at all. It was pretty silly from what I recall and I doubt it holds up well today. If the reboot is more of the same (albeit with a fresh coat of paint), I think it'd be best left as nostalgia.

Originally Posted by big e
Be glad they didn't make her all moe-looking. I'll probably check this out later today or tomorrow.
I haven't paid much attention to modern Japanese cartoons. What's this "Moe" look you refer to (I'm assuming you mean from the Three Stooges)?
Old 07-05-14, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I used to watch the show all the time but can't say I'm looking forward to this at all. It was pretty silly from what I recall and I doubt it holds up well today. If the reboot is more of the same (albeit with a fresh coat of paint), I think it'd be best left as nostalgia.
The new series is suppose to follow the manga more closely than the original did. I never read the manga, although I've been meaning to pick it up, but from what I hear, it has a more mature tone than the anime.

I haven't paid much attention to modern Japanese cartoons. What's this "Moe" look you refer to (I'm assuming you mean from the Three Stooges)?
I think you would know it if you saw it. I think it's only done with female characters, but its where the character looks almost child-like and real "cutesy". Someone else on here could probably describe it better than that.
Old 07-05-14, 03:42 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
This is a pretty good explanation:

Spoiler:

Ask John: What Are the Defining Moé Anime?

Question:
What would you say are some essential moe shows? What shows would you recommend for someone who’s curious about what moe anime is like?

Answer:
Although the term “moé” arose in Japanese fandom in the 1990s, it immigrated to America in the early 2000s. Conceptually moé originally referred to a passionate but asexual fascination with emerging adolescence. Moé originally referred to a feeling of affection and almost parental protectiveness over characters who were innocent, cute, and just on the verge of maturing of childhood. In other words, the moé character is the anime equivalent of the literary ingénue. Cuteness and emerging maturity rather than age were defining characteristics of moé status, allowing for characters like Steel Angel Kurumi to still be moé even though she wasn’t ostensibly a child. Kurumi had the fully-developed body of a young adult woman, but her consciousness and personality were still that of an ingénue, which evoked viewers’ desire to embrace and protect her from, essentially, the corruption of adulthood.

The anime exploitation of pure, original moé seems to have peaked around 2005. Kage Kara Mamoru! & Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku wo! are shows that don’t explicitly have the visual appearance of stereotypical moé anime but are prime examples of the concept of moé. Kage Kara Mamoru! revolved around a teen girl who is completely oblivious to greed, jealousy, desire, lust, and other adult vices. Moreover, she literally has to be secretly watched over and protected by a friend who serves as the vicarious stand-in for the audience. Mamoru-kun likewise depicts an adorably small, rosy-cheeked boy who’s doted on and adored by a bigger, more mature girl. Mamoru-kun is the epitome of a male moé character.

Kamichu! revolved around a pouty, kind-hearted innocent who evoked paternal instincts in her friends, the supernatural beings that surrounded her, and the viewing audience. Petopeto-san likewise achieved the same impact but wasn’t as widely watched or recognized as Kamichu! The girls of Ichigo Mashimaro are adorable because they’re literally right on the edge of growing out of moé. They exhibit the first signs of adult cynicism yet are still childlike. Fushigi Hoshi no Futago Hime injected moé into shoujo anime, depicting a pair of precocious sisters whose childlike enthusiasm and idealism kept getting them into hair-raising dangers. The UG Ultimate Girls TV series and Koharu Biyori OVA series may be among the first anime to foreshadow the sexualization and fetishization of moé. While these two anime are certainly suggestive, they both have a playful, lighthearted tone of exploitation about them, unlike later anime that made its sexualization far more pointed.

The Binchotan TV series provided moé for an older viewing audience. Binchoutan had no hint of sex, nor did it even include any of the bishoujo characters now central to the moé phenomena. Binchoutan depicted adorably cute Smurf-sized girls who lived simple pastoral lifestyles. Their heartwarming simplicity evoked a strong sense of calm, peacefulness, and serene observation – in a word, moé. The adorable yet clumsy animals of Damekko Doubutsu evoked simultaneous affection and pity. Like Hello Kitty with cancer, the useless animals created a wellspring of asexual love and desire to cuddle and coddle.

As the first decade of the 2000s unfolded, moé became increasing popular and recognized, invoking a commercial interest in manufacturing and exploiting moé. As this process occurred, moé evolved from being a non-sexual desire to hug, love, and protect to being a sexually sublimated fascination with cuteness. Moé shifted entirely from a two-way interchange between character and viewer to becoming distinctly a characteristic of particular characters or a focused fetish of viewers. Particularly anime including K-On, Lucky Star, and Moetan deliberately revolved around adorable, whimsical, clumsy, early-adolescent girl characters in order to evoke, enflame, and manipulate the interests and affections of viewers. These characters no longer evoked moé feelings; they were literally moé characters – not characters that naturally and unconsciously evoked a paternal reaction from viewers, but rather characters that were the physical manifestation of the defining characteristics of the moé movement. These girl characters were adorably cute, just a bit sexually appealing, and self-conscious but not yet cynical. They demanded notice and adoration from viewers rather than passively earning adoration and protective feelings.

At the same time moé was hitting its peak and beginning to evolve, it branched off into a parallel variety of moé, the pandering to particular niche fetishes. At least as early as 2002, the G-On Riders television series had consciously featured girls who wore glasses, to appeal to the “meganekko” fans, but the trend became more pronounced beginning in 2005 with anime that focused on satisfying one particular viewer obsession, for example: Kore ga Watashi no Goshujin-sama (moé for French maid outfits), Strike Witches (military moé), Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (yandere moé), Mayoi Neko Overrun (waitress uniform moé), Macademy Washoi & Asobi ni Ikuyo (nekomimi moé), and Upotte! (assault rifle moé).

http://www.animenation.net/blog/2012...ing-moe-anime/
Old 07-05-14, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, Moe would be bad!
Old 07-05-14, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

So basically this crap? Didn't know that was a big thing these days (and I can't see the appeal), though I've been out of touch with mainstream Japanese cartoons since the 90's.
Old 07-07-14, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,496 Posts

I can't see fans of Sailor Moon complaining too much about moe, given the fetishist costumes and the yet-to-be-introduced Chibiusa character...
Old 07-07-14, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Maybe it's like comic book fans complaining about Rob Liefeld's illustrating of characters.

Anyway, I tried watching the new Sailor Moon but Usagi's voice is really annoying. Is that how it was in the original anime? As much as the Dic version was criticized, deservedly in most cases, I liked Tracey Moore and Terri Hawkes doing the voice for Serena.
Old 07-08-14, 07:30 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I got a chance to watch this last night. Overall I really liked it. I thought the OP and ED songs were well done. I was a little surprised that in the opening sequence it shows all the inner scouts. Sure, in the original, they kind of showed them slowly as to build up some suspense, I guess, to the other scouts. The animation didn't bother me at all nor the voices. The episode felt familiar but new, if that makes any sense.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming episodes and story arcs that will be animated.
Old 07-22-14, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc31
Maybe it was a legal thing.
Old 08-04-14, 10:13 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

After three episodes I have to say I am really enjoying it. It feels like it's moving a lot faster than the original series. Which makes sense since the original used a lot of filler. But then again it probably isn't fair to really compare the two.

In any case, the wait between episodes is almost too much. But it could be worse like once a month instead of twice.
Old 09-07-14, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/c0Va228UhRs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is a clip for the “MOON PRIDE”!! album. The clip shows spoiler scenes for future episodes.
Old 09-08-14, 08:02 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I'm kind of surprised there isn't much more about the show after the episodes air. Granted, its a kind of niche series as is anime in general compared to other tv/movies.. But I've really enjoyed the series so far. The most recent episode was really well done and I am really liking the way the scouts are coming into their power in the episodes. I'll be picking up the blu-ray release when it comes out.

Has any info been given on how far, compared to the original series, the manga and this show will go? I started to read the manga but never got around to finishing it.
Old 09-09-14, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand
Has any info been given on how far, compared to the original series, the manga and this show will go? I started to read the manga but never got around to finishing it.
That info has not been given.

Whether it will cover only the Dark Kingdom story, or cover both the Dark Kingdom story and the Black Moon story, remains to be seen.

Last edited by dugan; 09-09-14 at 01:59 AM.
Old 11-08-14, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Via ANN

Sailor Moon Crystal Anime's 2nd Season to Feature Chibiusa

The "Animate Girls Festival 2014" event confirmed again on Saturday that the Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal television anime is continuing into its second season. (Toei Animation had confirmed in April that the anime will last 26 episodes, and the second season will be the second half of those 26 episodes.) The second season will include the story from the original manga's "Black Moon" arc and feature Chibiusa.
Old 02-11-15, 07:28 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Anyone still watching this?

Episode 15 aired on 2/7 and is the first episode in season 2,I believe.

Episode 14 ended with the scene with Usagi and Mamoru in the park with Chibiusa falling out of the sky and pointing a gun at Usagi.

The new opening for season 2 features the Black Moon characters and does show Sailor Pluto.
Old 02-11-15, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand
Anyone still watching this?

Episode 15 aired on 2/7 and is the first episode in season 2,I believe.

Episode 14 ended with the scene with Usagi and Mamoru in the park with Chibiusa falling out of the sky and pointing a gun at Usagi.

The new opening for season 2 features the Black Moon characters and does show Sailor Pluto.
I'm interested in watching this, but I keep forgetting about it until there's an episode review on IGN. Maybe I'll get around to it this weekend.
Old 02-12-15, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,496 Posts

I've been considering whether to start my 5 year old on this version or on the older version (dubbed). Any thoughts? We watched the first episode of this version when it first came out, but I haven't gotten back around to it.
Old 04-16-15, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I started watching this off Hulu last week and so far, I'm enjoying it.
Old 09-28-15, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

via ANN

Sailor Moon Crystal Gets 3rd Season

The final episode of the second Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal anime season aired on Monday, and the anime's website announced that production on a third season for the Death Busters arc has been green-lit. The new season will assemble all 10 Senshi — specifically, the popular outer Senshi such as Sailor Uranus, Sailor Neptune, and Sailor Saturn will join Sailor Moon, Sailor Chibi Moon, and the others. The new season will adapt the arc from the fifth and sixth volumes of the complete edition of Naoko Takeuchi's original Sailor Moon manga.