Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Attack On Titan

Old 04-22-13, 07:25 PM

Received 499 Likes on 360 Posts
Attack On Titan

Best show of the year. You should be watching this.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/attack-on-titan
Old 04-25-13, 05:10 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Attack On Titan

This year's Sword Art Online.

Overhyped swine for the masses.
Old 04-25-13, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 781 Likes on 655 Posts

I watched the first episode with an open mind. The show does have a bold concept, but there wasn't anything in it that struck me as meeting the hype I've heard about it.
Old 05-25-13, 10:20 PM

That was an awesome episode this week.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/attack-on...trost-4-623905

If anyone wants to watch it, here's a couple 48-Hour Premium Passes:

GPWNZHFBVH7
46P5CZ4TCWP
QE5SEJH8DEC
Old 05-26-13, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I watched the first episode with an open mind. The show does have a bold concept, but there wasn't anything in it that struck me as meeting the hype I've heard about it.
Ditto
Old 05-28-13, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
This year's Sword Art Online.

Overhyped swine for the masses.
Old 06-11-13, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

So we have in two posts, best show of the year and most overrated show of the year without any discussion about why (even spoilerized discussion)?

The premise is: Humanity has been driven to the brink of extinction by a race of human-eating (kinda) giants called titans. The humans live in a fairly large, circular area separated from the outside world by three separated layers of gigantic, concentric walls, which have kept them safe for a hundred years. Little is known about where these giants came from, and most are content to live out their days within the wall. A portion of the military sends a force outside the wall on occasion, using 3D gear that propels them through the air like Spiderman, but they are largely ineffective against the overwhelming force of the titans. A boy named Eren, living near the outer wall, recognizes that humanity is living in a cage, and longs to join the military and reclaim the lands outside of the wall. One day a giant bigger than the wall appears and changes things forever.

It is a gruesome show, and the Titans are humanoid for the most part but have these really creepy expressions and looks. It kinda reminds me of the latter parts of Gantz (the parts that were never animated) in that there's this overwhelming force and a seemingly helpless humanity. Try to avoid even the wikipedia entry, which contains massive spoilers, if you want to watch the show.

I haven't caught up to the current episodes, but I do read the manga, though I don't think they'll be able to get to the more interesting aspects of the show in the first season. Is this planned as a multi-season thing, or will they wrap it up in a season and make up their own ending?

I will say the anime improves on the manga quite a bit; the characters are more recognizable, the artwork is better, and they shifted the storytelling slightly so that you get properly introduced to the characters much earlier instead of suffering through a long flashback in the middle of the action. Also the way the humans fight the Titans with their gear just works better animated.

Last edited by fujishig; 06-11-13 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-31-13, 08:55 PM

This week's episode was epic. Can't wait to see the follow-up next week. The cliffhangers on this show are awesome.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/attack-on...walls-5-642203

Even though the manga and anime are almost identical, the show is much more intense. The anime really fleshes out the battle scenes and gives you a better sense of the action.
Old 08-31-13, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This show is already my favorite show of this year. One thing I can't wait - reveal what's in the basement.
Old 08-31-13, 10:38 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Attack on Titan is amazing. It has a lot of lulls of story building, but holy crap the show pulls out the epic card on more than one occasion. The characters are well developed and all have motivation, the world is fully realized, and though the concept is "out there" it's easily palatable given the presentation. I was hooked from the first episode and have been burning my way through episodes. After two nights I'm up to 14. Can't get enough!
Old 09-01-13, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I might give it another try since I only watched the first and maybe second episode.
Old 09-01-13, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Originally Posted by McHawkson
This show is already my favorite show of this year. One thing I can't wait - reveal what's in the basement.
I'm not sure they'll get to that anytime soon.
Spoiler:
unfortunately, be prepared to wait a long time. That hasn't even been revealed in the manga, and they're currently far from that plot point right now.
Old 09-01-13, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Spoiler:
unfortunately, be prepared to wait a long time. That hasn't even been revealed in the manga, and they're currently far from that plot point right now.

Oh well, I still enjoy the show.
Old 09-01-13, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
Spoiler:
The manga moves so slowly. There's only one chapter a month. I don't know what they're gonna do for Season Two. But it probably won't come for a while.

This week's episode was Chapter 28 & 29. I'm guessing the 1st Season will end with Chapter 34. The manga is currently on Chapter 48. So they've only got about 10-12 episodes worth of story. It'll take them at least another year before they get enough content for a full 2nd Season.

Spoiler:
And they're so far away from the basement. I don't think we'll see the big reveal for a least a year or two in the manga. So maybe we'll get to the basement by the end of Season 2. Possibly not until Season 3.

I think a lot of anime fans are going to be pissed when Season 1 ends. Reading the forums, it seems like everyone is expecting some closure. But all they'll get is more questions and probably a big cliffhanger.
Old 09-01-13, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How many issue manga is it now? 6th? I think #6 is sold out anywhere...
Old 09-01-13, 02:51 PM

How many issue manga is it now? 6th? I think #6 is sold out anywhere...
In Japan they're on Volume 11. Volume 6 just came out in the US. That book includes Chapters 23-26 (anime episodes 17-19).

Season 1 of the anime should end with Volume 8 (Chapters 31-34).
Old 09-01-13, 10:30 PM

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qonD0LWykJY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-01-13, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

I started watching it because it's on Hulu (not sure if it's free or subscription only). Good show. I'm not big on anime. But every few years there seems to be one worth attaching myself to. Last one I remember being affected by was Paranoia Agent.
Old 09-21-13, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How many more episodes left before season ends? I only have 1-5 volume of manga since volume #6 is unavailable almost anywhere I can find.

After tonight's episode (on Crunchyroll), it's killing my patience on what's going on next week!
Old 09-22-13, 02:20 AM

How many more episodes left before season ends?
There's only one episode left. Next week will be the season finale.

This week was another awesome episode. Mikasa is such an epic bad ass. And I love Hangi. She's hilarious. Can't wait til next week.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/attack-on...trict-2-642209

Last edited by TheBigDave; 09-22-13 at 02:35 AM.
Old 09-28-13, 07:30 PM

I thought it was a great finale. They deviated quite a bit from the manga. The battle and that last second reveal were both different. But this version worked much better, especially considering that it was the season finale. Overall, this is probably my favorite show of 2013 so far.

If anyone's interested in the differences, check out Chapter 32 & 33:

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/32
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/33
Old 09-28-13, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, you're right, Dave - bit different ending than it was shown in anime. I think they changed it bit to make more suspense season ending cliffhanger. It does made me wanted to see what happened next, but it going to be a while till we get 2nd season.
Old 09-29-13, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 219 Likes on 144 Posts

I found the finale a little underwhelming as it seemed mostly used as a set-up for the 2nd season. There are still so many questions to be answered.

On the whole, however, I think this is hands down the best series of the year. Can't wait for next season to start.
Old 09-29-13, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
I found the finale a little underwhelming as it seemed mostly used as a set-up for the 2nd season. There are still so many questions to be answered.

On the whole, however, I think this is hands down the best series of the year. Can't wait for next season to start.
Wait till next season, you'll see lot of "wow" and "wtf" moments.
Old 09-29-13, 09:06 PM

The author says the manga should end around Volume 20. That'll probably be sometime in 2016.

Season One of the anime covered Volume 1-8. So it looks like maybe 3 anime seasons for the full series.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...for-mangas-end

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.