Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Miyazaki's The Wind Rises / Takahata's The Tale of The Princess Kaguya

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Old 12-13-12, 06:52 AM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 520 Likes on 457 Posts

via ANN
Ghibli Announces Miyazaki's Kaze Tachinu, Takahata's Kaguya-hime no Monogatari
posted on 2012-12-13 02:20 EST

Frequent collaborator Hisaishi, Future Boy Conan's Ikebe score next summer's films

Studio Ghibli and its distributor TOHO officially announced Kaze Tachinu (The Wind Is Rising) and Kaguya-hime no Monogatari (The Tale of Princess Kaguya), the latest films from studio co-founders and directors Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata, on Thursday. Both are scheduled to open throughout Japan next summer.

In February 2009, Miyazaki launched a two-part manga mini-series called "Kaze Tachinu" that focuses on Jirō Horikoshi, the designer of Japan's famed Mitsubishi A6M Zero fighter plane of World War II. Author Tatsuo Hori also wrote a novel called Kaze Tachinu, and the film's tagline references both real-life figures and paraphrases Hori's book: "Show respect for Jiro Horikoshi and Tatsuo Hori. We must try to live." (Hori himself was reportedly quoting Paul Valéry's "Le cimetière marin" or "The Graveyard By The Sea" poem, which read, "Le vent se lève! . . . il faut tenter de vivre!" or "The wind is rising! . . . We must try to live!")

Frequent Miyazaki collaborator Joe Hisaishi is composing the music of the film. Miyazaki is not only directing the film, but he conceived the story and wrote the screenplay himself. This will be the first film from Miyazaki since Ponyo about five years ago.

The famous Japanese folktale Taketori Monogatari (The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter) centers on princess named Kaguya who was discovered as a baby inside the stalk of a glowing bamboo plant. Taketori Monogatari has inspired dozens of manga and anime stories, such as Reiko Shimizu's Kaguya Hime and Arina Tanemura's Sakura-Hime Kaden.

Takahata already revealed in 2009 that his next film will be based on the folktale. The tagline on the film's website reads, "A princess's crime and punishment."

Shinichiro Ikebe (Future Boy Conan, Akira Kurosawa's Kagemusha) is composing the film's soundtrack. Takahata conceived the story and co-wrote the screenplay with Riko Sakaguchi. This will be Takahata's first film since My Neighbors the Yamadas about 14 year ago.

TOHO had already registered the domains for the websites for these two films, but it opened the websites on Thursday.

Both films will open on the same day, but separately. The last time that Miyazaki and Takahata had films opening on the same day, or even in the same year, was a quarter of a century ago when Miyazaki's My Neighbor Totoro and Takahata's Grave of the Fireflies were shown back-to-back in Japan in 1988.

Source: Eiga.com via tsk06
Old 12-13-12, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
re: Miyazaki's The Wind Rises / Takahata's The Tale of The Princess Kaguya

Wonderful news! That sounds like an excellent double feature to me.
Old 03-26-13, 11:19 PM
WTK

via ANN
Hayao Miyazaki's Kaze Tachinu Film Slated for July 20
posted on 2013-03-26 23:15 EDT

The official website for Hayao Miyazaki's new film Kaze Tachinu (The Wind Is Rising) confirmed on Tuesday that the film will open in Japan on July 20. Last month, Studio Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki had written, "I can't say this out loud, but the release date is July 20," on a theatrical poster. Ghibli and its distributor TOHO officially announced Kaze Tachinu in December, and stated the movie would be in theaters in the summer of 2013. This will be the first film from Miyazaki since Ponyo about five years ago.

In February 2009, Miyazaki launched a two-part manga mini-series called "Kaze Tachinu" that focuses on Jirō Horikoshi, the designer of Japan's famed Mitsubishi A6M Zero fighter plane of World War II. Author Tatsuo Hori also wrote a novel called Kaze Tachinu, and the film's tagline on the poster references both real-life figures and paraphrases Hori's book: "Show respect for Jiro Horikoshi and Tatsuo Hori. We must try to live." (Hori himself was reportedly quoting Paul Valéry's "Le cimetière marin" or "The Graveyard By The Sea" poem, which read, "Le vent se lève! . . . il faut tenter de vivre!" or "The Wind Is Rising! . . . We must try to live!")

TOHO had planned to release another anime film from Ghibli, Isao Takahata's Kaguya-hime no Monogatari (The Tale of Princess Kaguya), on the same day as Kaze Tachinu. However, TOHO announced last month that it delayed Takahata's film until this fall.
Old 03-27-13, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

Grave of the Fireflies and My Neighbor Totoro back to back? Man I hope they showed Grave first.
Old 08-15-13, 06:21 PM
WTK

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PhHoCnRg1Yw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-16-13, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 209 Posts

It's been #1 at the Japanese boxoffice for the last three weeks.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ice-august-3-4

Any word on when it'll show up in the U.S.?
Old 08-20-13, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just learned that THE WIND RISES will be featured at the New York Film Festival this fall. So I'll see it then. I wonder if Miyazaki will make the trip this time. He did in 1999 when MONONOKE played the festival. (I saw him then.)
Old 08-27-13, 03:53 PM
WTK

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-f...rsy-87650.html
Disney Will Release Hayao Miyazaki’s “The Wind Rises”
Tuesday August 27, 2013 2:03 pm

UPDATED (2:35PM ET) Disney announced this afternoon that they will handle North American theatrical distribution for Studio Ghibli/Hayao Miyazaki’s latest film, Kaze Tachinu (The Wind Rises). They released few other details, and indicated that an official release date will be announced at a later time.
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/articl...ises-us-113581
Disney Will Release Hayao Mayazaki's 'The Wind Rises' in U.S.

Animation master's lastest film is about man who designed Japan's World War II fighter planes

Published: August 27, 2013 @ 12:24 pm

Disney will release Japanese animation master Hayao Miyazaki's next movie, "The Wind Rises," in North America, the studio said Tuesday.

There is no opening date set for the film, which will be released under the Touchstone Pictures banner. It a fictionalized account of the life of Jiro Horikoshi, the man who designed Japanese fighter planes during World War II...

Last edited by WTK; 08-27-13 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-27-13, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just watched the trailer this looks like it would be good.
Old 08-30-13, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Scott Foundas' praise-filled review in Variety:

http://variety.com/2013/film/reviews...akingnewsalert
Old 08-30-13, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard mixed reviews, but I am very excited for it. I love the theme song featured in that trailer.
Old 09-01-13, 08:56 AM
WTK

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking...tires-20130901
Japanese animator and manga master Hayao Miyazaki retires

VENICE (AFP) - Japanese animation and manga master Hayao Miyazaki is retiring, the head of his production company said on Sunday at the Venice film festival, where his last work Kaze Tachinu (The Wind Rises) was being shown.

"Miyazaki has decided that Kaze Tachinu will be his last film, and he will now retire," said Mr Koji Hoshino, head of Studio Ghibli co-founded by Mr Miyazaki.

Mr Hoshino did not give any further details, saying only that Mr Miyazaki would hold a briefing in Tokyo. The director himself was not at the film festival.

The 72-year-old Mr Miyazaki has won hearts and accolades around the world in a career that began in the 1960s.
Old 09-02-13, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
I've heard mixed reviews, but I am very excited for it. I love the theme song featured in that trailer.
That theme song was recorded in the early 1970s by Yumi Arai (aka Yumi Matsutoya), whose songs were also featured in the opening and closing credit sequences of KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE (Japanese language version only). I have an album of hers that features all these songs.

Also, a link to The New York Times' announcement of Miyazaki's retirement:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/02/mo...-retiring.html

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 09-05-13 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-02-13, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I'm bummed that I missed out on getting tickets to "The Wind Rises" for the Toronto International Film Festival. All of the showings are sold out.

Oh well! I guess I just have to wait for the Blu-ray release to watch it.
Old 09-05-13, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Top of the box-office in Japan for the seventh weekend in a row:

http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/miyazak...m_medium=email
Old 09-11-13, 09:11 PM
WTK

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/to...se-1200608439/
Geoffrey Wexler and Frank Marshall will exec produce a dubbed version of Hayao Miyazaki’s “The Wind Rises,” with Gary Rydstrom directing and the voice cast to be announced soon.

When North American distrib Disney opens the film Nov. 8-14 in New York and L.A. for an Oscar-qualifying run, it will be the subtitled version. But when the film bows in a limited release Feb. 21, before expanding, audiences will have the chance to see either a dubbed or subtitled version.

Wexler, chief of the international division at Studio Ghibli in Tokyo, admitted that many Miyazaki fans want to see it in the original form, but the visuals are so important, some people want to watch the images, not read. So he urged: “Purists, just give it a chance.”

Wexler spoke at the Toronto Film Festival’s official screening of the film at the Elgin Theater. Before the screening began, the audience was told Miyazaki would not be in attendance, which inspired a big collective groan. That was evidently more in disappointment than surprise.

When asked by an audience member if this is truly the Japanese animator’s final film, Wexler said, “I can only tell you what he told us… that this is his last film.”

He also warmed up to a question about the film’s sound, saying that the sound designer (who is not a sound-effects person) voiced the sounds of trains and planes in the film. Wexler then did a very respectable imitation of the chugging and whirring noises that the sound designer created.
Old 09-12-13, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

@WTK: I haven't seen any word about whether Miyazaki will come to New York for the film's showing at the New York Film Festival. I'd like to try to get tickets if that's going to happen. Have you heard anything? Thanks.

P.S. 8th weekend at top of Japanese boxoffice:
http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/retirem...m_medium=email

Poor CAPTAIN HARLOCK took second place. What genius decided to release that film while WIND RISES was still in theaters?

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 09-12-13 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-12-13, 09:09 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
@WTK: I haven't seen any word about whether Miyazaki will come to New York for the film's showing at the New York Film Festival. I'd like to try to get tickets if that's going to happen. Have you heard anything? Thanks.
Don't know anything. I don't think it will happen. Just keep any eye on ANN or some of the media sites like Variety. If it happens, I'm sure it will get reported.
Old 11-07-13, 04:50 PM
WTK

US theatrical poster for The Wind Rises

Old 11-08-13, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's playing at one theater in New York for one week and it's an out-of-the-way theater with inconvenient times. Why do they do this to me?
Old 11-16-13, 12:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
It's playing at one theater in New York for one week and it's an out-of-the-way theater with inconvenient times. Why do they do this to me?
what theater is it?

it's also apparently in Los Angeles.

oops: I'm off a week - apparently Disney let it play a week to qualify it for Oscar consideration.

Did anyone see it?

Last edited by Giles; 11-16-13 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-17-13, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
what theater is it?

it's also apparently in Los Angeles.

oops: I'm off a week - apparently Disney let it play a week to qualify it for Oscar consideration.

Did anyone see it?
I didn't. I tried twice. First time a train delay kept me from getting to the theater in time, so I aborted, the second time it was sold out when I got there. I'm very angry at Disney. There's no reason they couldn't have booked it in more theaters and for a longer period. I may never have the chance to see the subtitled version on the big screen again. When it comes out again in February, it will be English-dubbed. I'll probably just get the Japanese DVD when it comes out.
Old 11-18-13, 10:44 PM
WTK

The Wind Rises - Exclusive Official Trailer (via Deadline Hollywood)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/imtdgdGOB6Q?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Princess Kaguya (Kaguya-hime no Monogatari) 6-minutes clip via Twitch

<iframe id="tflm001_833793" src="http://cms.springboardplatform.com/embed_iframe/3029/video/833793/tflm001/twitchfilm.com/10/1/" width="630" height="375" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
Old 11-21-13, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really enjoyed the trailer. Looking forward to seeing this.
Old 12-01-13, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watched "Princess Kaguya" last night. Ghibli and Takahata has made yet another masterpiece.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.