Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Miyazaki's The Wind Rises / Takahata's The Tale of The Princess Kaguya

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Miyazaki's The Wind Rises / Takahata's The Tale of The Princess Kaguya

Old 12-02-13, 10:06 AM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 520 Likes on 457 Posts
re: Miyazaki's The Wind Rises / Takahata's The Tale of The Princess Kaguya

Film critic proposes censoring latest Studio Ghibli anime for overseas release
The newest theatrical anime from Studio Ghibli, Kaguya Hime no Monogatari, opened just over a week ago. While we came away impressed, the movie-going public at large hasn’t been coming out in the numbers expected for a release by the legendary animation production house.

Now, one film critic is speculating that the movie may have trouble bolstering its lackluster box office numbers with overseas revenue, stating his opinion that Kaguya Hime no Monogatari may not be screenable in certain markets outside Japan without censoring multiple scenes.

Author and journalist Akihiko Reizei recently wrote a column for the Japanese-edition of Newsweek, offering his impressions on Kaguya Hime no Monogatari. Reizei was gushing in his praise for the picture, calling it “a tour de force” and predicting that it will go on to become a timeless classic.

But despite his personal love for the film, Reizei expressed concerns about the ability to screen it, in its current form, overseas. The critic expressed his doubts about scenes showing visible breasts while nursing, half-naked babies and children, and a completely naked young girl diving into a pool of water.

[...]
Old 12-02-13, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 209 Posts

The newest theatrical anime from Studio Ghibli, Kaguya Hime no Monogatari, opened just over a week ago. While we came away impressed, the movie-going public at large hasn’t been coming out in the numbers expected for a release by the legendary animation production house.
I'm confused by this statement. I thought this was the most popular film in Japan in 2013. It was #1 at the boxoffice there for at least eight weeks. (See my earlier posts in this thread.) What am I missing?
Old 12-05-13, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's only been out for 2 weeks.
It's been at #1 for the 2 weeks, but it's so far made about $8 million, which is a little less than the previous Ghibli film made in the first two days.
With a production cost of $50 million, it might not break even.
Old 12-06-13, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by manicsounds
It's only been out for 2 weeks.
It's been at #1 for the 2 weeks, but it's so far made about $8 million, which is a little less than the previous Ghibli film made in the first two days.
With a production cost of $50 million, it might not break even.
Thanks for the clarification. I completely misread that article as being about THE WIND RISES. But it's about Isao Takahata's newest film, not Miyazaki's. Never mind.
Old 12-06-13, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the big reason the movie is "struggling at the box office" is that "Kaguya Hime" is a story EVERYBODY knows in Japan. So it's like "Why see the movie when we all know the story already?"

Japanese folk tales retold as movies are not a big seller in the market. Japanese manga or TV series being retold or remade in movies is big business though.
Old 01-10-14, 07:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

here's the English language dub cast:

Jiro Horikoshi: Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Nahoko Satomi: Emily Blunt
Honjo: John Krasinski
Kurokawa: Martin Short
Castorp: Werner Herzog
Nahoko's Father: William H. Macy
Kayo: Mae Whitman
Hattori: Mandy Patinkin
Kurokawa's Wife: Jennifer Grey
Gianni Caproni: Stanley Tucci
Katayama: Darren Criss
Sone: Elijah Wood
Mitsubishi Employee: Ronan Farrow
Old 01-15-14, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
here's the English language dub cast:

Jiro Horikoshi: Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Nahoko Satomi: Emily Blunt
Honjo: John Krasinski
Kurokawa: Martin Short
Castorp: Werner Herzog
Nahoko's Father: William H. Macy
Kayo: Mae Whitman
Hattori: Mandy Patinkin
Kurokawa's Wife: Jennifer Grey
Gianni Caproni: Stanley Tucci
Katayama: Darren Criss
Sone: Elijah Wood
Mitsubishi Employee: Ronan Farrow
Ronan Farrow???!!!
He's all over the place these days, isn't he?
Old 02-10-14, 09:50 PM
WTK

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/t-sdXgWFtW4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iMSxY1VP5mE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Find out more about upcoming screenings: http://thewindrisesawards.com

Like The Wind Rises on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheWindRises

Follow The Wind Rises on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/WindRisesFilm

Official Site: http://www.thewindrisesmovie.com
Old 02-23-14, 09:33 PM

saw this tonight (original Japanese language version) - and really only knowing the most miniscule amount of the story - and having not seen a single tv spot, trailer etc... yes I avoided all the links in this thread - I was very very impressed. The film is not for kids and really is almost an homage to the films of Yasujirō Ozu - it was a very emotional kind of film with drama, light humor, and
Spoiler:
a really really sad ending - which personally floored me

while the film diverges from Miyazaki's traditional high-fantasy realms (and the fact that the protagonist is NOT female), it's probably his most personal film and for a swan song from him - he goes out in style!

highly recommended!

A
Old 02-24-14, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's playing at three theaters in the New York area, only one of them even remotely convenient to me. Of course, the subtitled version is only playing at the two inconvenient theaters.
Old 02-24-14, 11:43 AM

^ the film expands to more theaters this coming Friday.
Old 02-24-14, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Saw this at the El Capitan in Hollywood on Saturday. The theater was about 60% full. I'd probably put this around 9 or 10 in ranking Miyasaki films. It was beautifully animated but the story was kind of weak and the anti war theme was not that well done. Still it had some brilliant scenes and any Miyasaki is worth watching.

B
Old 03-01-14, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw the film on Thursday (subtitled version). I was appalled at the way it glossed over Japan's wartime behavior and the fact that this guy's plane, his "beautiful dream," was used to kill lots of Americans (and Chinese, and thousands of other Asians) in a war of aggression by the Japanese.

I found a review by a Korean-American journalist that outlines the film's moral cowardice:

"The Trouble with The Wind Rises: Hayao Miyazaki ends a brilliant career on a shameful note" by Inkoo Kang.

Here's the link:

http://www.villagevoice.com/2013-12-...he-wind-rises/
Old 03-01-14, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I saw the film on Thursday (subtitled version). I was appalled at the way it glossed over Japan's wartime behavior and the fact that this guy's plane, his "beautiful dream," was used to kill lots of Americans (and Chinese, and thousands of other Asians) in a war of aggression by the Japanese.
I saw this last night with the wife and she said this was the one aspect of the film that bothered her. My rationale was that the movie wasn't about the Japanese during the war, it was about this one guy who happened to be Japanese during the war. There was never anti-Allied Forces dialogue or sentiments by the main character (or other characters for that matter). Even a German Engineer was anti-Hitler in the movie. If anything, there are plenty of scenes to indicate that this film has an anti-war theme but that's my two cents. It was a wonderful film and a great sendoff for Miyazaki IMO.
Old 03-02-14, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
I saw this last night with the wife and she said this was the one aspect of the film that bothered her. My rationale was that the movie wasn't about the Japanese during the war, it was about this one guy who happened to be Japanese during the war. There was never anti-Allied Forces dialogue or sentiments by the main character (or other characters for that matter). Even a German Engineer was anti-Hitler in the movie. If anything, there are plenty of scenes to indicate that this film has an anti-war theme but that's my two cents. It was a wonderful film and a great sendoff for Miyazaki IMO.
Another take on the film, by Jeff Meyers in Detroit's MetroTimes (it's the second review on that page):
http://metrotimes.com/watch/film-rev...ises-1.1639871

A relevant quote in response to your statement:

There is a point in Hayao Miyazaki's lusciously animated biopic where a character tells Jiro Horikoshi, the film's protagonist, that all things being equal, he prefers "a world with pyramids." The implication is, of course, that even though the Pyramids were built upon the blood and backs of slaves, our world is better for having them.

It is an argument Louis C.K. brilliantly deconstructs in his “But maybe...” comedy routine: That the human race can accomplish amazing things when it doesn't give a shit about the pain, death and suffering that others will endure.

Though I am hardly on the side of the Pyramids, I certainly understand the value of the point being made. But as an excuse for producing a nonjudgmental film about the aeronautical engineer who happily designed fighter planes for the megalomaniacal Japanese military of WWII, it seems an ill-fit for a filmmaker whose work has often criticized the belligerent impulses that foment war. It's like celebrating the career of J. Robert Oppenheimer without ever acknowledging the devastation visited upon Hiroshima or Nagasaki.
Or how about a film about Wernher von Braun that fails to mention the devastating V-2 attacks on London. Or about the designer of the Panzer tanks used by the Nazis in the Battle of the Bulge and the film ends with the designer lamenting that none of his tanks came back. Excuse me, but are we supposed to feel sorry for him? Yet Miyazaki asks us to feel sorry for an engineer who designed a plane that killed lots of people in a war of aggression waged by Japan because none of his planes returned. Well, of course not, genius, because we shot them all down in a war that you provoked us into!

Miyazaki's film is part of a whole pattern of Japanese myopia about its wartime aggression. The Prime Minister visits the Yasukuni War Shrine knowing full well it will piss off China and South Korea and continues his campaign to rewrite text books and disavow the claims of the "comfort women" who were forced into prostitution to serve the Japanese military during the war. In case you hadn't noticed, Japan's standing in the world is in serious jeopardy right now, largely because of its own actions. This film doesn't help.

Sorry, but you can't divorce a participant from his role in a shameful history.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 03-02-14 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-03-14, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Do you really think Miyazaki was trying to pull the wool over our eyes with this film and re-write history? Does he have to depict every single atrocity when that's not what the movie is about? I'm not going to the theater to watch a 10 hour, blow by blow account, anime about wartime Japan (well, maybe I would but that's beside the point). If the protagonist was a general or the Emperor of Japan, then I would agree subversion could be found here. In hindsight, basing the main character on a literal person was a mistake if people will loose focus on what is on the screen then what is not. Too bad the engineer couldn't be called "Miyazaki" and instead of a fighter plane, he invents a giant flying cat with headlamps for eyes, and it screeches when people climb inside it. Everyone would be happy then.

Last edited by Ringmaster; 03-03-14 at 02:51 AM.
Old 03-04-14, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I think Miyazaki should have realized this was a no-win situation and avoided it entirely.
Old 03-12-14, 07:06 PM
WTK

Re: Miyazaki's The Wind Rises / Takahata's The Tale of The Princess Kaguya

https://twitter.com/GKIDSfilms/statu...84233622851585
Thrilled to release 'The Tale of The Princess Kaguya' from @ghibli_intl in N. America! Join https://www.facebook.com/ThePrincessKaguya for official updates.
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-f...ion-97230.html
GKIDS Acquires Takahata’s ‘The Tale of The Princess Kaguya’ for U.S. Distribution

GKIDS announced today that they have entered into a distribution agreement with Studio Ghibli for the North American rights to The Tale of The Princess Kaguya, the new film by 78-year-old director and Studio Ghibli co-founder Isao Takahata (Grave of the Fireflies, Only Yesterday, Pom Poko).

GKIDS will take all of Kaguya’s theatrical, non-theatrical, home video and television rights in North America. Last year GKIDS distributed Ghibli’s From Up on Poppy Hill, which became the distributor’s first million-dollar grossing animated feature.

Studio Ghibli is producing an English-language vesrion of the film. Ghibli’s Geoffrey Wexler will produce, with Frank Marshall of Kennedy/Marshall exec producing. This is the same team that handled English versions for the two previous Studio Ghibli films, The Wind Rises and From Up on Poppy Hill.

Kaguya, which is based on the folktake “Tale of the Bamboo Cutter,” has been a modest success in its home country of Japan, grossing $22.7 million to date (or less than a fifth of the box office gross of Hayao Miyazaki’s The Wind Rises). The film will be released in the U.S. this fall and will be submitted for Oscar qualification.
Old 09-23-14, 05:16 PM
WTK

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PZK2y9NAaNo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-05-14, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

THE TALE OF PRINCESS KAGUYA opens in NYC on Oct. 17.

I went to an advanced screening of the Japanese language version on Friday night. I will be seeing the dubbed version but it's not something I look forward to. However, a dubbed version will be more appealing to parents bringing their children. Children will maybe like it, except for one thing. It's way too long at 137 minutes. The film itself is beautiful, even breathtaking at times, with a lovely score by Joe Hisaishi. But the narrative loses momentum midway through and there's a long sequence that goes nowhere involving five nobles lining up as suitors for the princess' hand and showing what happens as a result. It picks up toward the end, but the film would have benefited from being 40 min. shorter.
Old 10-15-14, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I saw KAGUYA again today in the English dubbed version--with an entire audience of 9th graders (class trip). Wow! These kids really reacted heartily to it. To see the kind of emotional effect it had on them was quite a revelation. I still think it's too long, but this crowd sure loved it.