Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

MediaOCD Announces Acquisition of AnimEigo Home Video Business

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-24, 08:05 AM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 533 Likes on 469 Posts

https://www.crunchyroll.com/news/lat...video-business

AnimEigo brand to remain intact under MediaOCD

MediaOCD has announced the acquisition of AnimEigo, the oldest existing anime distributor in English-speaking territories. The agreement will see AnimEigo's mass-market video distribution business transferring to MediaOCD "over the coming months" as it joins MediaOCD's Whole Grain Pictures home video label.

If you grew up with anime VHS tapes, chances are pretty good that you owned at least a few AnimEigo releases, and now their legacy is set to continue under new management. The AnimEigo brand will remain intact under MediaOCD, and current and future limited-edition crowdfunded projects will be released under the brand. AnimEigo Blu-rays and DVDs will also continue to be available through MVD Entertainment Group and regular retail channels.

AnimEigo is operated by Robert Woodhead and Natsumi Ueki, a husband-and-wife team who have recently re-released classics like Megazone 23, Bubblegum Crisis and Metal Skin Panic MADOX-01. The company's latest crowdfunding effort is MACROSS II, which was successfully funded to the tune of $404,396 with the help of nearly 4,000 backers. Woodhead and Ueki will continue to manage this and other upcoming Kickstarter projects, overseeing production and fulfillment while providing support for previous crowdfunded AnimEigo releases.

Here's what MediaOCD CEO Justin Sevakis had to say about the acquisition:
“I am beyond excited to continue the legacy of AnimEigo … I grew up withAnimEigo VHS tapes, and preserving both the brand and its philosophy is of utmost importance to me. The entire MediaOCD team is dedicated to bringing the AnimEigo touch to a whole new generation of anime fans.”

Robert Woodhead—who plans to "slowly ease into retirement" along with Ueki—added: "We believe Justin is the right person to continue the AnimEigo tradition of quality and fan support … We look forward to helping him with this transition over the next few years. We can't wait to see what new paths his fresh perspective will lead him to explore."​
The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (02-15-24)
Old 02-15-24, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Re: MediaOCD Announces Acquisition of AnimEigo Home Video Business

It’s so refreshing to read about an acquisition that makes me feel warm and fuzzy rather than inspiring dread. What a best case scenario!
fujishig (02-15-24)
Old 02-15-24, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Still, end of an era. Good for Woodhead and wish him the best when he does eventually retire.
Old 02-15-24, 12:56 PM
WTK

Adam Tyner (02-15-24)
Old 02-15-24, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Justin has always seemed that he truly takes these "silly Japanese cartoons" seriously and I love him for that.

Like was already, it's rare to read an announcement of a merger that makes you go "Oh, okay, that should work" and not just "oh god no why!".
Adam Tyner (02-15-24)
Old 02-15-24, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Probably the best possible outcome for a small shop like AnimEigo.
Old 02-15-24, 09:03 PM
WTK

New animated logo

https://www.reddit.com/r/discotekmed...mment/kqk1lxl/

Couple things.

First, this is awesome news! Congratulations u/worldofcrap80!
Second, will this change the relationship MediaOCD has with Discotek long term? Based on another comment you've made, sounds like that is a no.
Third, any vision for doing normal license acquisitions or will you keep Animeigo focused on Kickstarter?
Fourth, will you be keeping the Animeigo name long term? (please?)

Based on all the other acquisitions over the last few years, and Robert constantly mentioning retirement, I assumed it was only a matter of time before someone grabbed them up. I had just assumed it would be CR/Sony given the Great Consolodation going on.

Will be awesome to have another great company focusing on the classics!

1. Thank you!
  2. When Robert (AnimEigo) made me the offer at Otakon, I went right to Selby (Discotek) with the news and his reaction was "we can sell your stuff here at the booth!"
  3. Yes, there will be more normal releases in the future.
  4. OH GOD YES, that was the whole point of it, for me
Old 02-15-24, 09:27 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
It’s so refreshing to read about an acquisition that makes me feel warm and fuzzy rather than inspiring dread. What a best case scenario!
It's great to see MediaOCD stepping up to do this. It's definitely the best case scenario. I'm just glad that it's not Crunchyroll/Sony again. I'm sure they wouldn't been interested in AnimEigo anyways.

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Justin has always seemed that he truly takes these "silly Japanese cartoons" seriously and I love him for that.
He has been involved with the anime industry for over two decades.

started Anime News Network (1998) -> worked at Central Park media -> worked at ImaginAsian Entertainment -> back to ANN -> started MediaOCD (2012)

More from MediaOCD is great. However I hope their team don't get overworked (AnimEigo, Whole Grain Pictures; Discotek Media, Anime Limited,...).
Old 03-10-24, 06:28 PM
WTK

Working on my pitch deck for AnimeJapan. Really curious how this slide is going to translate.
Old 04-01-24, 09:10 PM
WTK

https://www.animeigo.com/post/the-an...transition-faq

The AnimEigo Transition - FAQ

We have a new home! AnimEigo is now part of MediaOCD!

Here, we'll try to answer your burning questions about what this means for us, the future, and your favorite AnimEigo anime titles.

Q: Will anything be going out of print?
A: There will be a few minor changes. Most DVDs will go out of print if there's already a Blu-ray edition, as most new buyers will opt for the better quality version. For example, Otaku no Video DVD Edition is now out of print. However, we will do our best to keep classic AnimEigo titles in print indefinitely!

Q: Will you be licensing new titles?
A: Yes! We plan to start slowly, but by 2025 we hope to release around one new title per month, give or take.

Q: Will you be producing any new DVDs?
A: While we will keep a few best-selling DVDs in print for as long as they keep selling, all new releases will be Blu-ray only.

Q: Will you license any live action movies?
A: Live action films will be moving to our new live action sibling label, Whole Grain Pictures. Check it out!

Q: What can we expect from new AnimEigo releases going forward?
A: The important things will not change: you can expect faithful, easy-to-read, and meticulously complete subtitles. You can expect a curated selection of amazing classic anime. You can expect a personal approach and friendly customer service. You can still expect to find our discs at the usual online retailers. We are still a small team of dedicated fans, not a big corporate conglomerate!

We do plan to update some things: a stronger social media presence, new forays into merchandise, and some more recent anime titles (although still ones that have stood the test of time). We will also use more current Japanese romanization standards and typesetting for our subtitles moving forward.

Q: Will you still do Kickstarters?
A: Check out our separate crowdfunding page! Robert and Natsumi, the original founders, still have one or two amazing projects left to announce. After that, who knows? If we (MediaOCD) decide to do some, we'll probably wait til R&N finish theirs so as not to create confusion over who's in charge.

Q: Who is this 'MediaOCD' company, and what are they doing with my anime!?
A: MediaOCD is a small company founded by Justin Sevakis, that has been producing high quality anime Blu-rays since 2011. We've produced every Blu-ray ever published by Discotek Media and NIS America, and also worked with many other publishers. And actually, we've already made three discs for AnimEigo as their authoring company: the retail edition of Megazone 23, both Kickstarter and retail versions of MADOX-01, and the samurai film Sword of Desperation. Betcha didn't even notice!

Q: Will you be doing 4K UHD Blu-rays?
A: We already are! The forthcoming Kickstarter project Macross II will get a UHD release! UHD is tricky, but we got this. Over 50% of UHD anime discs in the US market were made by us! As for future titles, not all anime will benefit from the format and it is quite expensive, so we'll decide new ones on a case-by-case basis.

Q: What sort of anime will you license?
A: Generally, we're looking at less pervy titles from 2010 or earlier, but we're not bound to any specific rules. Any boutique label will, to some extent, reflect the tastes of the owners. However, as anime professionals with over 25 years of experience, rest assured that we know how to license some real classics, and may even introduce you to a few you've never heard of.

Q: Can I suggest a title for you to license?
A: We generally know what's available and what would sell, but thanks for your input!

Q: I have a question! How do I contact you?
A: [email protected] is a good place to get in touch. We're also on many social networks, although we're still spinning those up. Links will be posted shortly.

Q: I have some of your stuff posted online...
A: Anime of ours posted in their entirety, or in a way that makes watching the whole thing unnecessary (complete recaps, condensed, etc.) is not allowed and we will be taking those down. Commentary, informational posts, and short meme posts are generally OK with us. We usually don't control all the rights in the world, though, so we can't control what other involved companies may do or claim. Please note that we cannot give you outright permission to post most video projects with our footage without contacting the original owners in Japan, and in those cases money must be involved.

Q: I own a shop and I would love to carry your products!
A: Great! You can order wholesale via our distributor, MVD Entertainment Group. Please note that only video products are available via MVD; merchandise is usually exclusive to our web store.

Q: Will you produce new English dubs in the future?
A: Such a day seems pretty far off, but it will most likely happen! It would really have to be the right show, though, and not a long series. That's likely too expensive for us.

Q: I live outside the USA! Can I buy your products?
A: First of all, check Amazon and other local specialty retailers in your area – they may already carry our discs! Right now, we are still looking for direct fulfillment partners in Canada and the UK. (Classic AnimEigo had some, but we could not continue those relationships for various reasons.) We are actively working on this, so please check back soon. However, some titles are licensed for sale in North America only, so you won't be able to order those from overseas.

You may be able to find some discs that have been imported to local retailers, but we don't have any control over that.

Q: Will your shop carry things from other companies?
A: We have nothing to announce right now, but who knows!

Got some burning question we missed? Let us know! Thanks so much for your patience while we sort everything out and get started. The future is bright, indeed.

-Justin @ MediaOCD
Old 04-05-24, 05:40 PM
WTK

For this logo we emulated the look and feel of the Apple IIGS.
Old 04-15-24, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Old 04-19-24, 01:10 PM
WTK

Gonna have some unexpected stuff to share on the AnimEigo livestream Monday... including a cool random item I’m adding to the shop.
PhantomStranger (04-22-24)
Old 04-21-24, 10:26 PM
WTK

AnimEigo Town Hall (Monday, April 22 @ 9 PM EDT / 6 PM PDT) https://www.youtube.com/animeigo/live

A meeting for concerned citizens who wish to know about MediaOCD's plans for famed anime studio AnimEigo. Will be hosted by MediaOCD CEO, Justin Sevakis.

milo bloom (04-22-24)
Old 04-22-24, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

What about all the live-action Japanese samurai films AnimEigo used to carry? They had an incredible array of titles. What's going to happen to those?
Old 04-22-24, 07:48 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
What about all the live-action Japanese samurai films AnimEigo used to carry? They had an incredible array of titles. What's going to happen to those?
I would assume some will go OOP (one was announced last week). Others will go to MediaOCD's other label: Whole Grain Pictures.

EDIT: Sword of Desperation is their only in-print live-action title.

Last edited by WTK; 04-22-24 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-22-24, 08:40 PM
WTK

AnimEigo Town Hall

A reminder...We didn't buy the whole company
- MediaOCD now owns the brand and media business
- Robert and Natsumi still own AnimEigo the Corporation
- R&N still have full control over Macross II
- R&N have 1-2 other Kickstarters to announce
- MediaOCD gets to make "mass market" versions ONLY AFTER KS editions sell out

Our Goals
Keeping the Spirit of AnimEigo Alive

- High quality, faithful presentations (incl. translation, video, design)
- Direct fan interaction with staff*
- Invite creator involvement*
- Go SEVERAL extra miles
- No "this is trash but it'll sell" titles
- Fewer titles, higher quality

What will change?
Most small details

- More "normal" (non-KS) releases
- Expanded scope into newer titles
- Subtitles more in line with MedaOCD standards
- Renewed focus on marketing, reaching broader anime audiences
- Experiments with the web store
- More crowdfunding? Maybe. We'll wait for R&N to finish

Metal Skin Panic MADOX-01 Price Cut!!
Now only $17.99 (it was $24.99)

MediaOCD Store
Thank you to everyone who has ordered!
- Well love it when you buy our discs, but tbh we get a LOT more money when you buy direct
- All forthcoming releases will have web store exclusive slip covers
- Shipping services by Fulfyld in Alabama
- Customer service by Caleb (please be nice to him)

Some harsh realities...
Not to get all serious

- Buying AnimEigo was EXPENSIVE for a tiny company like MediaOCD
- It'll take a while before we can afford big new titles
- We need to raise some cash
- The AnimEigo library has some bangers, but is only 8 anime and 2 samurai movies (make that one samurai movie)
- WE ARE GONNA HAVE TO GO SLOW

Sort of an announcement
Riding Bean - mass market Blu-ray

- New encode, menu and packaging
- NOT INCLUDED: new Sonoda art/comic, mini game (those were KS exclusive)
- Only $17.99
- Coming in September

Rebuild of AnimEigo
The Blu-ray part, we've got down

- Step 1: Preserve the classics
Our goal: Keep "classic" AnimEigo titles in print
Looking into making HD remasters for remaining DVD-only titles
DVDs will stay in print until there's a Blu-ray available

Rebuild of AnimEigo

- Step 2: Introduce the classics to a new audience
Make/encourage memes from our shows
Build awareness with new merch drops
Cut new trailers

Rebuild of AnimEigo

- Step 3: License new shows
Curated selection - better, not more
Unearthed classics
Looking at anything pre-2010
Generally staying away from anything too trashy
Goal: 1 release/month by 2025

Updating Existing Discs
Minor tweaks shall be made...

- Bubblegum Crisis, Megazone 23, MADOX-01 will go OOP once stock runs out
- Will be reissued with new packaging, slightly revised authoring (we're moving replicators)
- Will offer an upgrade program if significant enhancement are made