Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

[Japan Blu-ray] My Neighbor Totoro / Grave of the Fireflies

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Old 04-19-12, 11:53 AM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 520 Likes on 457 Posts

JP Blu-ray | 7/18/12

My Neighbor Totoro [EngSub] [EngDub]
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B007UMRRUM

via CD Japan
Subtitles: English, Japanese, French, German, Italian, Cantonese, Mandarin, Korean
Audio Tracks: Japanese: DTS HD 2.0ch Surround, English: Dolby Digital 2ch Stereo, Cantonese: Dolby Digital 2ch Stereo, French: Dolby Digital 2.0ch Surround, German: Dolby Digital 2.0ch Surround, Italian: Dolby Digital 2.0ch Surround, Korean: Dolby Digital 2.0ch Surround, Mandarin: Dolby Digital 2.0ch Surround

"Totoro" blu-ray comes many foreign languages (English, French, Chinese, German, Italian. Korean), storyboard, script, non-credit opening and ending theme, trailers.
Special Features: storyboard, script, non-credit opening and ending theme, trailers.

Grave of the Fireflies [EngSub]
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B007UMSCCY

via CD Japan
Subtitless: English, Japanese
Audio Track: Japanese: DTS HD 2.0ch Surround

Includes only English subtitles, storyboard, storyboard with audio (3mn), script, interview of Isao Takahata (18mn),Roger Joseph Ebert interview (12mn), trailers and a slideshow of material (character setting, background, illustration etc.)!

Special Features: storyboard, storyboard with audio (3mn), script, interview of Isao Takahata (18mn),Roger Joseph Ebert interview (12mn), trailers and a slideshow of material (character setting, background, illustration etc.)!

My Neighbor Totoro / Grave of the Fireflies Collection (LE)
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B007UN1PS6

via CD Japan
The Blu-ray limited set includes both films with A4 size pamphlet!"My Neighbor Totoro" blu-ray comes many foreign languages (English, French, Chinese, German, Italian. Korean), storyboard, script, non-credit opening and ending theme, trailers. "Grave of the Fireflies" blu-ray includes only English subtitles, storyboard, storyboard with audio (3mn), script, interview of Isao Takahata (18mn),Roger Joseph Ebert interview (12mn), trailers and a slideshow of material (character setting, background, illustration etc.)!

via ANN
Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies BDs English-Subbed in Japan
posted on 2012-04-20 02:38 EDT

Studio Ghibli's My Neighbor Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies films will ship on individual Blu-ray Discs and in a special combination set of both in Japan on July 18.

The individual discs will each have a retail price of 7,140 yen (about US$88), and the combination set will retail for 14,280 yen (about US$175). Both titles will have their Japanese soundtracks in DTS-HD MasterAudtio 2.0ch and English subtitles. Totoro will also have an English dub in Dolby Digital Stereo, French subtitles and dub in Dolby Digital 2.0ch surround, German subtitles and dub in 2.0ch surround, a Cantonese dub in stereo, an Italian dub in 2.0ch surround, a Korean dub in 2.0ch surround, and a Mandarin dub in 2.0ch surround.

Storyboards (viewable alongside the anime via a picture-in-picture feature), recording scripts, and trailers will be available as bonuses on both discs. Totoro will also have credit-less versions of the opening and ending sequences.

Grave of the Fireflies will add standalone storyboard videos, video interviews with director Isao Takahata and film critic Roger Ebert, and a still image collection. Grave of the Fireflies' audio extras will include interviews; commentaries by Takahata, art director Nizo Yamamoto, layout artist/animation director assistant Yoshiyuki Momose, color key artist Michiyo Yasuda, sound director Yasuo Uragami, and composer Michio Mamiya; and recording documents. Bundled with the Grave of the Fireflies disc is a booklet with an essay by original novelist Akiyuki Nosaka and production notes.

The combination set of the two films will include replicas of the pamphlets that served as the production bibles for the staff members. My Neighbor Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies were originally screened as a double feature in Japan.

Sources: Phile Web, AV Watch

Last edited by WTK; 04-20-12 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-20-12, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts
Re: [Japan Blu-ray] My Neighbor Totoro / Grave of the Fireflies

I hope someone will bring the Grave of the Fireflies Blu-ray to the states.
Old 04-20-12, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's an interesting collection. I hear that My Neighbour Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies originally premiered as a double feature.
Old 04-20-12, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 781 Likes on 655 Posts

US market will likely have to wait 12-18 months after the Japanese release date for the BDs.
Old 04-20-12, 09:41 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by Koby
I hope someone will bring the Grave of the Fireflies Blu-ray to the states.
I guess it's on Sentai Filmworks. They re-released the DVD remaster release earlier this year.
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
US market will likely have to wait 12-18 months after the Japanese release date for the BDs.
I would go up towards 2 years if they decide not to skip a release.
Old 04-20-12, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know if amazon Japan charges right away?
Old 04-20-12, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 209 Posts

$164.53 for the set if you order it from CDJapan. That's too steep for me. The exchange rate is horrendous these days, although the price would still be high even if it wasn't.

I used to buy J-pop CDs and concert DVDs quite frequently from CDJapan, but the exchange rate has made me wait till I can find them used at Book Off. Or just do without.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 04-20-12 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-22-12, 09:14 PM
WTK

Another option for some could be waiting for the Hong Kong BD releases. The wait time typically is around 3 or so months after the JP release.