Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Old 07-02-12, 08:10 PM

Received 499 Likes on 360 Posts
re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Summer 2012 shows so far:

Tari Tari - This will probably be one of the better shows this season. The animation is beautiful. Seems like a drama-heavy version of K-On. I'm definitely in for the full series.

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita - Weird, yet interesting. It's definitely different from most of the anime I usually watch. I'm gonna give it a couple more episodes to see where it's going.

Chitose Get You! - I'm not a fan of these 3-min shows. And this one didn't stand out as anything special. So I probably won't bother watching any more.

YuruYuri - One of my favorite shows from last year. Good start to the 2nd season.
Old 07-03-12, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finished the entire Bleach anime which is cancelled until further notice.

I am watching One Piece, Naruto Shippuden, and Fairy Tail.
Old 07-03-12, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I started watching Seikon no Qwaser. It would be a fairly normal series not unlike other shows built around superpowered agents fighting one another, if not for one crazy element that puts it very close to being hentai. The main character gets powered up drinking the breast milk of girls with a certain type of energy, straight from the source. The story is fairly good if you can get beyond that one point.
That one point dominates the show and the character designs. It's not just the one character either. I would say that it you're really into that one point, then you'll enjoy the show, otherwise it seems lackluster at best, with a lot of other series doing a better job with the superpowered agents storyline.
Old 07-03-12, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am watching Kaleido Star, I am almost done watching the second season.
Old 07-04-12, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 780 Likes on 654 Posts

Finished up Cat Planet Cuties. Looks great on Blu-ray but the story itself is worth one viewing at most. The fun energy of the first few episodes is bogged down by the haphazard ending.
Old 07-06-12, 12:09 AM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 520 Likes on 457 Posts

Home video:
  • Cowboy Bebop movie BD - it was kind of fun to revisit this after so many years on HD.
  • Hetalia World Series: S3 - it's kind of fun, silly short episodes to watch...I still need to get S4 though.
  • Queen's Blade 2 BD - S1 was better than I thought. I would say S2 is the same way as well. I may watch Queen's Blade: Rebellion later on CR.
  • Squid Girl S1 BD - I watched the series when it was simulcasting on CR. So revisiting the series (in EngDub) was pretty enjoyable like the first time.
Streaming:
  • Bodacious Space Pirates - I liked series more as it progresses. Overall it's not too bad, but it feels like it can be better.
  • Jormungand (Season 1) - It has a Black Lagoon feel, but nowhere as good. It will be interesting to see how Season 2 progresses (in October or so).
  • Kids on the Slope - What a fantastic series. This is probably the best (if not one of them) simulcast series this spring. The ending was pretty good too.
  • Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine - One of the most interesting Lupin series I have seen. The artwork in this series is very fascinating too. Overall it's good, but probably not the best Lupin property that I have seen.
  • Mysterious Girlfriend X - Who knew drool would be key factor in an anime series. This series has been a pleasant surprise for me.
  • Recorder and Randsell - So-so minutes short series. It has its moment. But toward the end, it feels like it dragged on.
  • tsuritama - Overall I liked it. The story style and the artwork is pretty good too.
Old 07-06-12, 02:24 AM

A couple more Summer 2012 shows:

La storia della Arcana Famiglia - So far, I'm not sure what to think of this show. There's mafia guys with magical card powers and some kind of fighting tournament. Not really my type of thing. But I might give it another couple episodes to see where it's going.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous - I think this will be pretty good. The overall tone reminds me of Usagi Drop (light and understated instead of heavy and overbearing). I might wait until the season is over and watch the whole series in one sitting.
Old 07-07-12, 03:42 AM

One more Summer 2012 show:

Campione! - Can someone please tell me what the fuck is going on? Actually, don't bother. Normally I'm willing to give a show 3 episodes. But this is such a confusing, convoluted mess I can't imagine sitting though any more.
Old 07-07-12, 07:23 PM

A few more Summer 2012 shows:

Kokoro Connect - The first episode was really interesting. I'm in for the full season.

Sword Art Online - This one really surprised me. I wasn't expecting to like it. But it was really good. This could turn out to be the best show of the season.
Old 07-07-12, 11:31 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Tari Tari - This will probably be one of the better shows this season. The animation is beautiful. Seems like a drama-heavy version of K-On. I'm definitely in for the full series.
Yeah, it does have a K-ON! like feel to the series so far. I will keep on watching this.
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita - Weird, yet interesting. It's definitely different from most of the anime I usually watch. I'm gonna give it a couple more episodes to see where it's going.
This was a rather bizarre first episode (especially toward the end). This one I guess has more of a curiosity factor going for me.
Chitose Get You! - I'm not a fan of these 3-min shows. And this one didn't stand out as anything special. So I probably won't bother watching any more.
Too early to say anything. It's short, so I will probably keep on watching.
YuruYuri - One of my favorite shows from last year. Good start to the 2nd season.
I loved the first segment (you know that it wasn't for real fairly early on). Looking forward to watch the rest of the series.
La storia della Arcana Famiglia - So far, I'm not sure what to think of this show. There's mafia guys with magical card powers and some kind of fighting tournament. Not really my type of thing. But I might give it another couple episodes to see where it's going.
I'm really curious of where this series will really head (or just more repetitive storyline of becoming the family head).
Natsuyuki Rendezvous - I think this will be pretty good. The overall tone reminds me of Usagi Drop (light and understated instead of heavy and overbearing). I might wait until the season is over and watch the whole series in one sitting.
Too early to call. Though I do agree that this series could be very good.
Campione! - Can someone please tell me what the fuck is going on? Actually, don't bother. Normally I'm willing to give a show 3 episodes. But this is such a confusing, convoluted mess I can't imagine sitting though any more.
A lot of different things going on with the first episodes with little answers. I guess I will keep on going for now.
Kokoro Connect - The first episode was really interesting. I'm in for the full season.
One of the series that I was curious about coming to this season. I will keep on watching.
Sword Art Online - This one really surprised me. I wasn't expecting to like it. But it was really good. This could turn out to be the best show of the season.
I really liked the first episode. It definitely has the .hack vibe going.
Old 07-08-12, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Currently I am struggling to finish Dance In The Vampire Bund. Unlike most anime that feels cohesive from one episode to another, I get the feeling some episodes were written by totally different people with different goals in mind.
Old 07-19-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Finally finished Code Geass R2. Maybe it's because I marathoned the second half, but man they shifted the tone and story very abruptly near the end there, and I felt like they were skipping over a lot of things just to get from plot point to plot point. I mean, I realized pretty early on what Lelouch was really up to, but I still don't understand how his plan (or his father's plan, or his brother's plan) was even supposed to work to get their desired result. I really wonder if there are any good ways to wrap up a 50 episode or more season (not based on a completed manga) in a satisfactory way, because I seem to feel this way about the endings of a lot of these series. Take Eureka 7, which was the same length, spent entire episodes kinda plodding along developing characters and then the last few episodes just everything happens rapid fire out of nowhere.
Old 07-22-12, 02:29 AM

This has become my favorite show of the season. Only 3 episodes in, but if they can keep it up, this might even be the top show of the year. If you're not watching it yet, definitely check it out.
Old 07-22-12, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just finished Anohana on Crunchyroll. It lives up to every word of the hype it got.

I'll likely order the Blu-Rays soon, considering that the current release is limited.
Old 07-24-12, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's not incredibly original, but Legend of the Legendary Heroes has a fun mix of characters and the right amount of action.
Old 07-24-12, 06:42 AM

It's not incredibly original, but Legend of the Legendary Heroes has a fun mix of characters and the right amount of action.
I just finished watching that as well. I really liked it but I felt the ending was way rushed. Hopefully a second season will smooth it out some.
Old 07-24-12, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Letitgokaboom
I just finished watching that as well. I really liked it but I felt the ending was way rushed. Hopefully a second season will smooth it out some.
Is there going to be a 2nd season?
Old 07-24-12, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Thrush
Is there going to be a 2nd season?
There hasn't been any confirmation of one. It's mostly me hoping for one.
Old 07-30-12, 12:05 AM
WTK

Streaming
  • Saki Episode of Side A - I guess CR was done simulcasting; it just feels some meh. I thought the original series was oak, this one just felt flat.
Home video
  • A-Channel - Nothing too serious, but it was just of fun to watch.
  • AnoHana [BD] - I loved watching this series. It got a bit emotional toward the end. One of the best series this year for me.
  • Heaven's Lost Property Forte - Continuation of the first season...I think it's not too bad. I'm looking forward to the movie.
  • Kobato. - A somewhat fun and cute CLAMP series. It was not too bad.
  • One Piece S4P1 - It has been a while since I watched OP on DVD. This was a rather fun continuation. I can't wait for the next set.
  • Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt - This was a re-watch since I watched the series on CR when it was still available. I still thought the series was entertaining. The dub was definitely out there.
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica [BD] - This was another re-watch. I have seen the series via CR. I thought the series was pretty good. I liked it just as much the second time around (watched the dub).
  • Shiki [BD] - What a neat series. I never got around to watch the simulcast. I'm glad this series got released on Blu-ray.
  • Shin Koihime Muso Otome Tairan - It was decent; it did feel like the franchise has dragged on after a couple seasons.
Old 07-30-12, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by WTK
Home video
  • Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt - This was a re-watch since I watched the series on CR when it was still available. I still thought the series was entertaining. The dub was definitely out there.
So what did you like better, the Japanese audio or the dub?
Old 07-30-12, 12:22 AM
WTK

So what did you like better, the Japanese audio or the dub?
I kind of liked the Japanese dub more. The English dub was decent enough (it probably have the most swearing since maybe Black Lagoon).
Old 07-30-12, 06:49 AM

Just finished watching Manabi Straight. It was a really good show. I'm surprised this never got a US release.
Old 08-02-12, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

So any recommendations for something that just has a flat out phenomenal storyline?
Old 08-02-12, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichC2
So any recommendations for something that just has a flat out phenomenal storyline?
Madoka Magica
Old 08-02-12, 10:06 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by RichC2
Can you give more details of what type of anime you're looking for (and what have seen that you consider as such)? Phenomenal storyline seems a bit vague to me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.