Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Old 05-14-12, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Finished watching Toradora! today. Probably one of the best shows I've seen so far this year.
If only it had an english dub.
Old 05-14-12, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc31
If only it had an english dub.
Just out of curiosity, Chris, why do you prefer English dubs?

I listen to few English dubs these days, so I don't know how well they're done anymore. I've only ever listened to them when I had no choice, when there was no Japanese track available, like back in the VHS era. Or when I reviewed anime and had to comment on the English dub. Back then, most English dubs were badly done. Even when the English dubs were done well, I always found the Japanese voice actors' work to be much emotionally richer. There are really only a handful of English dubs I've ever really embraced. Once bilingual DVDs became the norm, I didn't need to listen to the dubs.
Old 05-14-12, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 235 Likes on 171 Posts

Only speaking for myself here, but the Japanese voice actors are extremely distracting to me and totally take me out of the show. I obviously don't speak Japanese so all I here is some rediculous sounding gibberish and it doesn't match up with what I am seeing on screen at all. And I guess it helps that I never have any issues with the English dubs for anime.
Old 05-14-12, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't like subtitles becouse I find myself trying to read whats being said and missing everything else. I speak english not japanese, even if its a bad dub it much easyer to follow the story then trying to read every sentence that flashes by the screen.

Here is another reason. 14 Percent of U.S. Adults Can't Read thats about 1 in every 7 are illiterate. I am not talking about myself of course.
Old 05-14-12, 09:21 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 520 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by RayChuang
Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna (If you're a fan of Monkey Punch's original manga, you'll really love this series--it's like that manga has come to life.)
I'm enjoying the series thus far. It's pretty much a must see for Lupin fans.
Bodacious Space Pirates (I've enjoyed it so far, and it would not surprise me if a second season is ordered.)
The show started off rather slow for me (or rather wasn't sure where the series was heading). It starting to grow on me as the series progressed.
Old 05-14-12, 09:23 PM
WTK

Just finished watching Ano Natsu de Matteru (Waiting In The Summer). Great show. You know where the storyline is going from the first episode. But this show manages to rise above the tired cliches and it hits all the right notes. I was planning to watch 2-3 episodes, and ended up sitting through the whole 12-episodes because I couldn't stop watching.
The series was a pleasant surprise for me. I hope that Sentai Filmworks reconsider later on to release the series on BD (not just DVD).
Finished watching Toradora! today. Probably one of the best shows I've seen so far this year.
I watched this last year. I can say it's one of the best anime series I have seen in the last couple years.
Old 05-14-12, 09:58 PM

Received 499 Likes on 360 Posts

I just noticed that Toradora!, Ano Natsu de Matteru and Ano Hana all came from the same director and staff. I loved those first two shows. So I guess I'm watching Ano Hana next.
Old 05-14-12, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 780 Likes on 654 Posts

Finished watching Squid Girl recently. Fun little show where I did prefer the Japanese audio to the dub. It's almost always a case-by-case basis for whether I like the dub or original Japanese audio better. I can't stand the Japanese audio for Spice & Wolf, as one example.
Old 05-15-12, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Only speaking for myself here, but the Japanese voice actors are extremely distracting to me and totally take me out of the show. I obviously don't speak Japanese so all I here is some rediculous sounding gibberish and it doesn't match up with what I am seeing on screen at all. And I guess it helps that I never have any issues with the English dubs for anime.
If you have so little respect for Japan and its culture that you would refer to its language as "gibberish," then maybe you shouldn't be watching anime at all.
Old 05-15-12, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WTK
I'm enjoying the series thus far. It's pretty much a must see for Lupin fans.
Besides the fact the show has the "feel" of the original very early Monkey Punch Lupin III manga, I really like,the fact they could get away with a lot of very adult themes, mostly because all the main characters are above-21 adults.

The show started off rather slow for me (or rather wasn't sure where the series was heading). It starting to grow on me as the series progressed.
Bodacious Space Pirates did start slowly, but I think it was necessary because unlike many anime programs nowadays, being a full 26-episode series means they don't have to "rush" character and story development. That's why I've really enjoyed the series so far, especially with the character development of Marika Kato, the main character. By the way, I wouldn't really call the "pirates"--they're more like "privateers," as we've seen the explanation early in the first episode of the series.
Old 05-15-12, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 235 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
If you have so little respect for Japan and its culture that you would refer to its language as "gibberish," then maybe you shouldn't be watching anime at all.
It's not that I don't have respect for Japan and it's culture. I actually wanted to learn the language at one point and learned a little of it with the Pimsleur program, but if you don't understand it then it is going to sound like gibberish. That goes for any language. As I said Japanese voice acting doesn't fit for me in anime shows, it is incredibly distracting. And for what it's worth I don't have any issues with it in live action Japanese movies.
Old 05-15-12, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Maxflier
It's not that I don't have respect for Japan and it's culture. I actually wanted to learn the language at one point and learned a little of it with the Pimsleur program, but if you don't understand it then it is going to sound like gibberish. That goes for any language. As I said Japanese voice acting doesn't fit for me in anime shows, it is incredibly distracting. And for what it's worth I don't have any issues with it in live action Japanese movies.
If you watch enough anime in Japanese with subs. you should become familiar with a good smattering of key words and phrases.
Here are some of the more common ones you're likely to hear in anime:
"Baka!" (idiot)
"Bakemono" (monster)
"Chotto" or "Matte" (wait!) or "Chotto matte kudasai" (Please wait)
"Yamate!" (stop)
"kawaii desu" (how cute)
"Masaka" (impossible, or "I don't believe it")
"Doshite" (Why?)
"kirei" (beautiful)
"ikimasho!" (Let's go)
"Itadakimasu!" (Let's eat)
"Benkyo" (study)
"terebi" (television)
Etc., etc., etc.

My point is that by training your ear to listen for such phrases, as well as the frequent English words and phrases sprinkled into the dialogue (e.g. "LoveLetter"), it shouldn't sound like gibberish, even if you don't understand most of it. It's a rich language and it sounds beautiful, to me at least, especially when it's sung. (I have hundreds of J-pop CDs.)

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 05-15-12 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-15-12, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I almost copyed Maxflier and said gibberish, But I wanted to show how I really feel about buying sub-only animes.
Old 05-15-12, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In any event, I appreciate both your honest responses and thank you for tolerating my "scolding grown-up" routine. You both have the right to prefer dubs and I will respect that.
Old 05-15-12, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Finished watching Squid Girl recently. Fun little show where I did prefer the Japanese audio to the dub. It's almost always a case-by-case basis for whether I like the dub or original Japanese audio better. I can't stand the Japanese audio for Spice & Wolf, as one example.
Loved this show. Especially the Crunchyroll subtitles with all the squidly puns. Did they keep those in the dub? How did they handle the "de-geso"?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VRZvF42uTAc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I really hope they do a 3rd season.
Old 05-15-12, 09:14 PM

I don't like subtitles becouse I find myself trying to read whats being said and missing everything else. I speak english not japanese, even if its a bad dub it much easyer to follow the story then trying to read every sentence that flashes by the screen.
Lately, I prefer subtitles, because I think the voice acting is better. And I like hearing those japanese familiar phrases. And sometimes, it feels like the dub has been dumbed down for American audiences.

But I agree with the point you're making. I have to give subtitles my total attention and sometimes rewind to catch something I missed.

With a dub, I don't have to keep my eyes on the screen the whole time. I can glance at something else, and not feel like I missed something important. It just seems much easier to watch. And with some shows like Full Metal Alchemist that have a western-style setting, I feel the English language fits better.
Old 05-15-12, 09:14 PM

Just finished Mayoi Neko Overrun! I really wanted to like this series. It's got all the right ingredients. Catgirl, harem, panties, tsundere. But it turned out to be boring, uninspired and at times annoying.
I've been reading the manga, and it's so much better than the anime. Some of the stories are similar, others are completely different. But it manages to avoid all the annoying aspects of the anime. It's too bad they didn't just do a direct copy of the manga.
Old 05-16-12, 08:48 PM

I just noticed that Toradora!, Ano Natsu de Matteru and Ano Hana all came from the same director and staff. I loved those first two shows. So I guess I'm watching Ano Hana next.
Watched the whole AnoHana in one sitting. Probably the saddest anime I've ever seen. But it's such an amazing show. This should be on everyone's "Must See" list.

Of the 3 shows, I think AnoHana was the best and Toradora! was the most enjoyable. Ano Natsu de Matteru was also very good, but the other two are some of the best anime shows I've ever seen.
Old 05-19-12, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Loved this show. Especially the Crunchyroll subtitles with all the squidly puns. Did they keep those in the dub? How did they handle the "de-geso"?

I really hope they do a 3rd season.
The dub did use the puns for the most part and they skipped over the "de-geso". My main complaint was the voice they used for Squid Girl herself, it didn't sound like the character looked.
Old 05-19-12, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just finished "AI YORI AOSHI" I am going to continue with these older harem animes and watch "Love Hina"
Old 05-20-12, 02:08 AM

Right now I'm in the middle of K-On. Just finished season 1. This is a really fun show. Reminds me a lot of YuruYuri. So much moe.

Just finished "AI YORI AOSHI" I am going to continue with these older harem animes and watch "Love Hina"
Those were both great. I haven't seen them in a couple years. But I've been wanting to watch Love Hina again.
Old 05-25-12, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, I watched MM! very quickly over the course of two days and it was hilarious. The episode where the main character loses his memory is the single funniest anime episode I've probably ever seen. The show is built around a high school kid who is heavily into masochism from beautiful girls, but everything is played for laughs.
Old 05-27-12, 10:57 PM
WTK

Blu-ray:
  • Cat Planet Cuties - This was actually a bit better than anticipated. It was quite fun to watch this series.
  • Fullmetal Alchemist Movie: The Sacred Star of Milos - I liked it. It has been a while since I have seen anything new FMA related. The animation was rather unique.

Streaming:
  • Coicent - A short fun type of OVA. Worth watching once maybe twice.
  • Five Numbers! - Not what I was expecting. Didn't like the animation.
  • ICE (OVA) - Liked the artwork/design of the characters. The OVA series just feels very uneven.
  • Loups=Garous - Not a bad sci-fi/mysterious type of anime. It could have been a bit deeper.
  • TOWANOQUON - This was a rather interesting movie series. It's pretty action packed. The animation is pretty solid for the most part. The story isn't very deep. Overall I liked it.
Old 05-28-12, 11:30 AM

Finished up K-On this morning. Excellent show. I'm kinda sad that it's over. I don't know why they're not importing shows like that on US TV. I think it would be a big hit.

I'm about 8 episodes into Hayate the Combat Butler (aka Hayate no Gotoku). So far, I'm not crazy about it. The comedy's a little too slapstick and random parody for my taste.

I'm also watching Strawberry Marshmallow (aka Ichigo Mashimaro). Only about two episodes in, but it's pretty funny so far.

Love this K-On/Mashimaro MAD.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/F3gOsvG2PMw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-28-12, 12:13 PM
WTK

Finished up K-On this morning. Excellent show. I'm kinda sad that it's over. I don't know why they're not importing shows like that on US TV. I think it would be a big hit.
I haven't watched season 2 yet. That would change if I decide to get the Sentai BDs later this year.
I'm about 8 episodes into Hayate the Combat Butler (aka Hayate no Gotoku). So far, I'm not crazy about it. The comedy's a little too slapstick and random parody for my taste.
I liked the series. It's definitely not a series for everyone though. Hayate the Combat Butler!! has a completely different feel than the first season.
I'm also watching Strawberry Marshmallow (aka Ichigo Mashimaro). Only about two episodes in, but it's pretty funny so far.
A rather adorable series that didn't do so hot for the defunct Geneon USA. I'm glad they licensed it back then though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.