Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Old 09-21-14, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Originally Posted by WTK
One of my favorite ones too. 2nd season was announced today and it's planned for spring 2015.
Great! I also read Baby Steps manga and it's pretty good in several volumes.
Old 09-21-14, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by McHawkson
So far, my favorite anime series of 2014 is Baby Steps.
Originally Posted by WTK
One of my favorite ones too. 2nd season was announced today and it's planned for spring 2015.
Hah, I love you guys.

It's a terribly underrated show. Everything feels so naturally admirable about it. I often lose myself in Ei-kun's sheer drive to improve as a tennis player. Instead of simply showing us him improving over time, we see him honestly WORK at what he wants. Ace of Diamond is still a good show, but it doesn't do this. Haikyuu more often than not straight up avoids characterizing its main protagonist. Baby Steps has a main character who is extremely well-rounded. At times I'm not sure if he's defined by what he does, or if his personality define what he does.

Now, it may be more realistic than most anime sports drama, but I wouldn't jump the gun and call it wholly so. I've heard tennis fans gripe about many of the plays, and on occasion, the opponents. One leading example being the painter he had to face: I very much doubt that if you were that well-practiced at the sport, you'd use it only as a medium for making "pictures". Another gripe I have with the show is that the outside coaches often seem to be over-the-top in their teachings. Not everyone can simply visualize their past memories in such great detail, and the fact our main character was able to do so comes off as forceful.

Still, I never feel at so much ease as when I'm watching this show. It's inexplicable.

It's in my top 5 for the year for sure. Right below Silver Spoon's second season and right above Ping Pong.

And, holy crap, most of you guys are in the thousands in regards to post count. Have you all really been around that long?
Old 09-21-14, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 781 Likes on 655 Posts

ALDNOAH.ZERO just ended the season and it was pretty rough to see it ended that way. It says it'll be back in January 2015.

Haikyu! also has ended the season (perhaps series??). The show was pretty good and they don't do anything unrealistically physical game - well just borderline. And it's pretty entertainment.

So far, my favorite anime series of 2014 is Baby Steps.
It will be very interesting to see where Baby Steps goes in its second season. In complete serendipity, Japanese tennis has never been doing better with the rise of Kei Nishikori reaching the finals of the U.S. Open and the first top-ten ranking in Japanese history. Kei basically left Japan to train in Florida.
Old 09-22-14, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not necessarily anime, but I can't get enough of School Food Punishment. Their songs somehow always hit the right buttons with me. Maybe it's the sheer level of creativity these songs contain?

Last edited by Kiniest; 09-22-14 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-01-14, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 128 Likes on 84 Posts

ALDNOAH.ZERO just ended the season and it was pretty rough to see it ended that way. It says it'll be back in January 2015.
Yeah, it was pretty rough. We'll see if there are any lasting consequences come January.

I thought the final episode of Rail Wars! was pretty dull in just about every respect, although I knew better than to expect any sort of decision by Takayama.

The final episode of DRAMAtical Murder was a nonsensical mess.

I finally started Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun last night, and found the first episode really funny. I'm looking forward to the rest of it, for now.
Old 10-01-14, 01:08 PM

Received 499 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by printerati
I finally started Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun last night, and found the first episode really funny. I'm looking forward to the rest of it, for now.
It gets even funnier as the secondary characters are added. This ended up being one of my favorite shows from the summer season.

Ani-TAY had a good review of the show:

http://anitay.kinja.com/gekkan-shouj...iew-1634657276

Last edited by TheBigDave; 10-01-14 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-03-14, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glasslip is hands down the most disappointing show of 2014, but it sure is pretty.
Old 10-13-14, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by printerati
Originally Posted by TheBigDave
It gets even funnier as the secondary characters are added. This ended up being one of my favorite shows from the summer season.
I finished it last night. Hell, this might be my favorite show of the year so far. It's constantly and consistently funny, and all of the characters (except maybe Yukari) are pretty well developed despite being comic relief more often than not.
Old 10-17-14, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Akame ga Kill! is a very interesting new series. It kind of reminds me of Soul Eater, if that series was ultra-violent and starred deadly assassins stuck in a bloody revolution. I went through the first six episodes very quickly.
Old 11-03-14, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got "A Letter to Momo" in the mail today I am going to watch it tonight, I don't even know what it is about.

Edit: This movie was worth watching

Last edited by chrisc31; 11-03-14 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-04-14, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chrisc31
I just got "A Letter to Momo" in the mail today I am going to watch it tonight, I don't even know what it is about.

I'm interested in it. Is it slice of life or more touching?
Old 11-04-14, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Its more touching, its like a Studio Ghibli movie but its not.
Old 11-05-14, 11:56 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 520 Likes on 457 Posts

Posting here too...

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2014/...d-a-free-gift/
Get over 12 months of HD commercial-free anime and a free gift!
Posted by Michelle on 11/05/2014 at 2:33pm

Sign-up for a 12-month subscription and get access to HD commercial-free anime for the remainder of 2014 and all of 2015 for only $54.95! As an extra bonus you’ll also receive a $25 FUNimation Shop credit FREE with sign-up!

That’s right fans, if you sign up TODAY for a 12-month FUNimation subscription then you’ll get the rest of November and December FREE! What does the FUNimation Streaming Service get you? Check check out all the benefits below.

Subscribers get full access to:

- The hottest new & returning simulcasts every season
- English dubs for select series while still broadcasting in Japan
- The largest selection of English dubs online
- HD commercial-free streaming episodes
- Video content across your computer, mobile devices, Roku, or Xbox 360!

Just click here for more information!

*Promotion only valid to new and current monthly subscribers
Old 11-08-14, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's a tempting offer, though I didn't use Funimation's service as much as I expected in the past year. It's a no-brainer for new customers.

I've started Lagrange: The Flower of Rin-ne. It's not blowing me away after a couple of episodes, it seems like a fairly generic effort detailing a happy-go-lucky girl becoming the only one that can pilot a certain battlesuit/mecha.
Old 11-08-14, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's a tempting offer, though I didn't use Funimation's service as much as I expected in the past year. It's a no-brainer for new customers.

I've started Lagrange: The Flower of Rin-ne. It's not blowing me away after a couple of episodes, it seems like a fairly generic effort detailing a happy-go-lucky girl becoming the only one that can pilot a certain battlesuit/mecha.
I am really thinking of getting Funimations elite service just so I can watch the New Simulcast Dubs, other then that I buy everything I want to see from Funimation.
Old 11-14-14, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For one of those three-minute episodes series, I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying is good fun. An ordinary wife is married to an otaku and doesn't understand that world.
Old 11-14-14, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For one of those three-minute episodes series, I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying is good fun. An ordinary wife is married to an otaku and doesn't understand that world.
I thought it's just okay... too short. But recent episode did got me laughed.
Old 11-14-14, 06:58 PM

Received 499 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc31

I bought it on Vudu and watched it last night. I thought it was pretty good. But it seemed a little long and probably would have been better if they trimmed off 20 minutes. The artwork was gorgeous. I'll watch it again just for the scenery.

Vudu only carries the English dubbed version. And one of the Youkai has a very distinct voice that I kept trying to place. Eventually I stopped the movie and looked it up on IMDB. Turns out it was Master Shake from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

If anyone's thinking of buying it on a streaming service, check out iTunes. I think their version has dual audio (Jap 5.1 and Eng 2.0). And it's $1 cheaper than Vudu.

Storyline-wise, it's very similar to My Neighbor Totoro. Although I didn't find the characters quite as endearing. If I was grading the two movies, Totoro would be an A+, and I'd give this one a B.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 11-14-14 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-20-14, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I watched the Bayonetta movie adaptation. I think I would have found it better if I played the videogames. The movie largely assumes you know some basics of the character and her history. Confusing mythology, beautiful animation.
Old 11-20-14, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got the Studio Ghibli film "The Wind Rises" I will be watching it soon.

Edit: That was very different than other Studio Ghibli films

Last edited by chrisc31; 11-21-14 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-20-14, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I watched the Bayonetta movie adaptation. I think I would have found it better if I played the videogames. The movie largely assumes you know some basics of the character and her history. Confusing mythology, beautiful animation.
The video games are a confusing mess in terms of story. There are a ton of things that make no logical sense. However, it is still fun to play and the craziness is fun to watch.
Old 11-25-14, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've caught up with When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace. I like the characters and the first few episodes were quite funny, but which has devolved into another fun anime that has to turn more serious as it winds down.
Old 12-01-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still sticking with all of the following:

- Sword Art Online II (meh, just don't care about this Asuna storyline)
- Log Horizon 2 (too much focus on Akatsuki lately, with very little progress)
- The Fruit of Grisaia (probably my favorite of the bunch despite going off the rails)
- I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying (hit or miss, but better lately)

I'm slowly working my way through the first season of Oreimo on Hulu+, but I don't exactly have an appreciation for the subject matter (even as a joke). I'm not sure if I'll bother with the second season, much less finish the first.
Old 12-02-14, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been far happier with SAO II once they got past the first half's In-Game Killer story. That really should have been made into a side story or something, instead of stretching it over 12 episodes.
Old 12-16-14, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I marathoned Knights of Sidonia on Netflix over the past few days. There is some good action and several interesting concepts, but they tried to cram way too much into 12 episodes and left way too much underexplained, underdeveloped, or just plain ignored. There are similarities to Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet, which is a considerably better show in every respect.

The Netflix subtitles are also terrible. I don't think I missed anything of substance, but there are several instances where they ignore translating what's being spoken in favor of translating a word that is part of the scenery (like translating "Squad One" on a computer screen for 5 seconds instead of translating the 2-3 lines being spoken by the characters as they are looking at said computer screen).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.