Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Old 04-09-12, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Originally Posted by WTK
  • Upotte!! - First episode was pretty terrible. I don't think too many people are going like this series.
You didn't happen to read the manga for Upotte!! did you? I loved the manga. I'm afraid to watch it now.
Old 04-09-12, 11:19 AM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 520 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by Letitgokaboom
You didn't happen to read the manga for Upotte!! did you? I loved the manga. I'm afraid to watch it now.
I didn't read the manga. I guess the take for the series after 1 episode is not to take it too seriously for the lack of plot. For me it's just feel a bit lacking. The jokes just didn't do it for me (it probably didn't help that I don't get the various gun references).
Old 04-09-12, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia has just been added to my to-watch list.

EDIT: Never mind. It's a harem show.

Last edited by dugan; 04-09-12 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-11-12, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the last two weeks I've watched:
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion:This was the first time watching it all the way through. I saw episodes here and there when it was on TV. I really enjoyed watching it. I wish they would release all the updated movies quicker.
  • Princess Jellyfish: I wish they had more series like this. I really enjoyed the story and I wish they would come out with more things like this. I also really enjoyed all the Three Kingdoms talk but that's just because I'm a big fan of the history. The commentary was also great to listen too. Monica Rial is very fun to listen too.
  • Elfen Lied: I watched this back in college and decided to watch it again. Still as gruesome as ever but still a good watch for me.
  • Ōkami-san & Her Seven Companions: Felt to short for me. I wished the story had been a little longer. I hope the come out with a second season. Only real problem I had was the Narrator talking over everyone so much. Two good commentaries on this one. Both had me laughing.
  • ef: a tale of memories: I didn't know what I was getting into but this ended up being a very interesting love story.
I just started ef: a tale of melodies and it's not as good as memories so far but I'm hoping it will pickup.
Old 04-12-12, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just started watching High School of the Dead again.
Old 04-20-12, 02:55 AM

Received 499 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by WTK
Natsume Yujin-cho Shi (Season 4) - The previous three seasons were great, this season was no different. I hope season 5 somehow materializes in the future. Now I'm looking forward to see how NIS America handles this license.[/LIST]
Just started watching this series. I'm almost through Season 1. It's a really excellent show. Reminds me of Usagi Drop in the way that it's very gentle and sweet. If you're looking for a nice heartwarming show, this is perfect.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/natsume-yujin-cho
Old 04-20-12, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I plan to watch both seasons of Code Geass this weekend, I never watched season 2 yet.

Edit: Finished, first time in years I watched 21 hours of anime in one weekend.

Last edited by chrisc31; 04-22-12 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-22-12, 09:24 PM
WTK

Home video:
  • Battle Angel / Dragon Half / Miyuki-chan in Wonderland / Plastic Little / Princess Minerva / Puni Puni Poemy / Queen Emeraldas - I watched a bunch of ADV OVAs within the last couple weeks. Not much stood out for me. It's interesting to see early CLAMP work with Miyuki-chan in Wonderland. Queen Emeralds is not bad though too short.
  • ChäoS;HEAd (BD) - It was about what I expected. It took a little to figure out what's going on.
  • Katanagatari (BD) - Great visual and artwork with this series. It's very dialogue driven which may or may not be for everyone.
  • Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok - Decent series. The mythology feel/aspect drew me in. Outside of that not much stood out.
  • Peacemaker - Another fairly decent series. The series didn't pick up for me until much later on.
  • Princess Jellyfish (BD) - A fantastic series. It feels like a series that doesn't get talked very much.
Streaming:
  • OZMA - It's always good to see more work from Leiji Matsumoto. In this case, the OVA series just feel a bit short. Certain parts feel a bit rushed and unexplained.
  • The Future Diary - One of the more intriguing series that I have seen recently. The second half doesn't feel quite as strong as first half. Overall I still enjoyed watching this series.
Old 04-22-12, 09:25 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Just started watching this series. I'm almost through Season 1. It's a really excellent show. Reminds me of Usagi Drop in the way that it's very gentle and sweet. If you're looking for a nice heartwarming show, this is perfect.

If you liked the first season, you pretty much will like the following three. I'm very glad that NIS America licensed all four seasons. I'm looking forward to those releases.
Old 04-22-12, 09:28 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by WTK
A bit too early to recommend at this junction, but I was mention a couple that stood out to me thus far.
  • Kuroko's Basketball - Only 1 episode, but it has a much better feel than something like The Knight in the Area. It's worth checking out if like sports genre anime.
  • Polar Bear Cafe - What an adorable series 1 episode in. You get a polar bear, a penguin, and a panda.
  • Space Brothers - I like the first two episodes so far. The series appears to have potential to be good.
  • Upotte!! - First episode was pretty terrible. I don't think too many people are going like this series.
To add on to this...Kids on the Slope has been terrific so far. It's definitely a very solid license pick-up for Sentai Filmworks. Mysterious Girlfriend X is just rather bizarre/interesting. I would never expected drool to be a part of any anime series.
Old 04-24-12, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Well, Princess Jellyfish just went down to a little over 30 for the Blu/DVD set on Amazon, so I bit partially on the recommendations here.
Old 04-26-12, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 781 Likes on 655 Posts

I just finished watching the first season of Rosario + Vampire. Fun harem show, though the basic concept seemed to be running out of steam by the end of the first season. The formula for each episode was getting a little too predictable near the conclusion. I wonder if the formula becomes too repetitive in the second season?
Old 04-29-12, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched "Najica Blitz Tactics" I love these older animes, with girls with guns, fanservice themes.

Now I am watching "Best Student Council" I love the nostalgia from lisening to the english dub cast. Pretty much all of my favorite VA's has major rolls.

Last edited by chrisc31; 04-29-12 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-30-12, 06:57 AM

Just finished up Natsume Yujin-cho. Excellent series. I hope they do another season.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/natsume-yujin-cho-shi

Originally Posted by chrisc31
Now I am watching "Best Student Council" I love the nostalgia from lisening to the english dub cast. Pretty much all of my favorite VA's has major rolls.
I enjoyed that show. I'm not sure why. There's not much substance to it. I guess it's just good goofy fun.
Old 04-30-12, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I watched "Najica Blitz Tactics" I love these older animes, with girls with guns, fanservice themes.
Having seen that series all the way through at least three times, I can almost say Najica Blitz Tactics is essentially Agent Aika but with REAL storyline. (It should be noted both were produced by Studio Fantasia in Japan.)

I'm currently watching the following:

Natsuiro Kiseki (It's a very intriguing "slice of life" anime of four middle-school girls right at the start of summer school vacation in Japan.)
Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna (If you're a fan of Monkey Punch's original manga, you'll really love this series--it's like that manga has come to life.)
Bodacious Space Pirates (I've enjoyed it so far, and it would not surprise me if a second season is ordered.)
Queen's Blade: Rebellion (Fanservice overkill, but I do like the character designs.)
Old 05-02-12, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just finished "Cat Planet Cuties" I thought it was pretty good, It has a lot of fanservice in it. now I can go back to "Best Student Council"

Last edited by chrisc31; 05-03-12 at 03:59 AM.
Old 05-02-12, 08:06 PM

I'm about halfway through Tamayura right now. It's another one of those "four school girls, slice of life" kinda shows. The artwork is f'n gorgeous. According to ANN, there's a 2nd season coming.

If anyone takes up this series, I suggest watching the OVA before the 2nd episode. The OVA came out before the series. The first episode of the series is a flashback/prequel to the OVA. It doesn't really matter which you watch first. But episode 2 references a few things that happened in the OVA.
Old 05-05-12, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am now going to watch "Sister Princess" I find the voice cast similar to "Best Student Council", also I want to watch some of my dvd's I didn't see in years.
Old 05-05-12, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 235 Likes on 171 Posts

One of my all-time favorites.
Old 05-07-12, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I finished "Sister Princess" its been a long time since I watched it, I have so many I didn't see in years but now I will watch "AI YORI AOSHI".
Old 05-07-12, 09:36 PM

Finally finished up Seitokai Yakuindomo. It's a funny show with non-stop sex jokes. But unless you're Japanese, it's kinda hard to watch. A lot of the jokes don't translate well. They're puns based on different meanings in Japanese language. And some jokes depend on knowledge of Japanese pop culture and traditions.
Old 05-08-12, 10:34 AM

Just finished watching Ano Natsu de Matteru (Waiting In The Summer). Great show. You know where the storyline is going from the first episode. But this show manages to rise above the tired cliches and it hits all the right notes. I was planning to watch 2-3 episodes, and ended up sitting through the whole 12-episodes because I couldn't stop watching.
Old 05-09-12, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 781 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I just finished watching the first season of Rosario + Vampire. Fun harem show, though the basic concept seemed to be running out of steam by the end of the first season. The formula for each episode was getting a little too predictable near the conclusion. I wonder if the formula becomes too repetitive in the second season?
I ended up watching the entire second season and found it funnier and more entertaining than the first one. Tweaking the basic formula from the first season with some new characters turned out great.

I'm halfway through Squid Girl and so far the basic concept has held up, episode after episode.
Old 05-12-12, 08:19 PM

Just finished Mayoi Neko Overrun! I really wanted to like this series. It's got all the right ingredients. Catgirl, harem, panties, tsundere. But it turned out to be boring, uninspired and at times annoying.
Old 05-14-12, 12:59 PM

Finished watching Toradora! today. Probably one of the best shows I've seen so far this year.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.