Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-14, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

I'm back on the anime train after a 6 month hiatus and I'm currently in the middle of Michiko E Hatchin. It's not bad so far.
Old 07-15-14, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Just started: Phoenix
Old 07-15-14, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been watching sports - Saki, Baby Steps, Ace of the Diamond, and Haikyu!. I thought Baby Steps and Haikyu! are pretty good shows. Ace of the Diamond had a pretty bad pacing that made me want to bang my head on the wall. Saki is interesting show but just alright.

One thing about Saki, at Crunchyroll (AppleTV) showed that they runs 3 seasons, but they don't have season 2 on it. To my research, they only ran 2 seasons. I'm confused... Can anyone clarify it?
Old 07-15-14, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I'll probably get to Ace of the Diamond when I have the time. While I enjoyed the last baseball anime I watched, it was painful putting up with the English translator having absolutely no appreciation for American idioms related to baseball. Translating "runs" as "points" and so forth.

Baby Steps is definitely worth watching if one has interest in tennis, especially if you have played it. I'm not sure I would recommend it to someone without a tennis background.

I am in the middle of watching Kamisama Kiss. I like these kinds of show, it vaguely reminds me of Zakuro (I still want that one on Blu-ray) without the historical approach.
Old 07-18-14, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

I recently finished up Ano Natsu de Matteru (Waiting in the Summer) and really enjoyed it, despite things going off the rails a bit in the final two episodes. It did end on a pretty high note, though, and it looks like an OVA will be released later this year.

I finally finished up all of my spring shows (Brynhildr in the Darkness, The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior, No Game No Life, and One Week Friends), and had fun with all of them. Despite relatively little progress between the two leads, The Kawai Complex was my favorite because of the characters alone. I also never really warmed to the look of One Week Friends, but the characters again more than made up for it.
Old 07-22-14, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I finished Chaika: The Coffin Princess. I warmed up to the characters after a few episodes and was glad to see at the end it is coming back for another season. They actually turned the dragon into a cute nendoroid version of herself.

I would have had more problems with its overall plotting if that had been it, the last episode has way too much stuff going on.
Old 07-24-14, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I marathoned Myself; Yourself (2007) on Crunchyroll over the past couple of days. Great characters and character design, but fairly poor animation quality, and things got way too dark and way too rushed in the last few episodes. (My preference would have been to focus less on Hinako and more on the pasts/presents of the older characters in order to flesh things out better over the 13 episodes.) Still, I appreciate any slice-of-life show that actually keeps things grounded in real life and deals with personal issues that go beyond "my dad is a jerk". It's worth a watch.
Old 07-25-14, 10:06 PM

Nodame Cantabile
I finished watching it after 5 nights.
Old 07-27-14, 01:56 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watched all 12 episodes of No Game No Life yesterday and today. It was an odd series, but I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the second season, I assume there is one as it kind of ended and blatantly made it look like there is more to come.
Old 07-27-14, 09:37 PM

Thursday:

Katekyo Hitman Reborn 21-26

Yesterday:

Tokyo ESP 2-3
Tokyo Ghoul 3-4
Aldnoah Zero 3-4
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 16-17

Today:

Akame ga Kill! 3

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Baby Steps is definitely worth watching if one has interest in tennis, especially if you have played it. I'm not sure I would recommend it to someone without a tennis background.
On the contrary, I've found that those with a background in tennis find it less appealing. I don't really have much of a source for that, though.
Old 07-28-14, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kiniest
On the contrary, I've found that those with a background in tennis find it less appealing. I don't really have much of a source for that, though.
I have a background in tennis and like it.
Old 08-01-14, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished Phoenix. Really good series, fantastic final episode. It was much different than I expected, consisting of several different story arcs rather than just one spanning the series' 13 episodes.

Up next: Kaze no Yojimbo
Old 08-01-14, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Just started Attack on Titan. So far, so good!
Old 08-09-14, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

^^^Nice. You'll like it. Then you'll realize Part 2 is another month or so away!

Watching Towano Quon (got it from Fry's for $15). Interesting series.
Old 08-10-14, 09:58 AM

Rurouni Kenshin. Up to ep 21. Loving the show so far. When does the Kyoto Arc start?
Old 08-10-14, 11:52 AM

I watched the first three episodes of Cat Planet Cuties via Comcast On Demand this weekend. So far its a fairly fun show, with more nudity than I thought there would be. I figured this was the kind of show that teased lots of T&A without actually showing anything. That's definitely not the case here! The story is ok so far, and I expect this to be a typical harem show with some sci-fi trappings. The animation is nice, the girls are cute, and none of the characters are annoying (yet), so I'll keep watching.
Old 08-10-14, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Knights of Sidonia - Feels kind of like Attack on Titan mixed with BSG. It has much better pacing than AoT though and less of the endless whining about how hopeless it all is. I've seen some people don't like the looks of the characters but that was not a problem for me.
Old 08-10-14, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've almost finished the first season of Accel World. It's a really good show despite one glaring weakness. They haven't explained why the most desirable girl in school fell in love with this unpopular underclassman. I like the set-up, it kind of takes a bit from Sword Art Online and then allows your virtual avatar to help you in the real world.
Old 08-10-14, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm watching Jinsei right now. It's a very "wordy" show and the group that is fansubbing the show is going out of the way to translate everything on screen, which means if we get an official release the translators are going to be working a lot of overtime per episode.
Old 08-10-14, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Hey, guys, if you're watching all this anime, why aren't you participating in the August Animation Challenge over on the DVD Talk board?

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/62...st-thread.html

I've been watching practically nothing but anime for it. Here's my list:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/12184163-post27.html

I just finished watching the first seven episodes of KEY THE METAL IDOL (1994), which is pretty wild humanoid robot-themed sci-fi. Not sure where it's going, but I'm intrigued so far.
Old 08-10-14, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've never participated in the challenges, I don't like committing to something I probably wouldn't be able to keep up with.
Old 08-10-14, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like too much work.
Old 08-11-14, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I like the set-up, it kind of takes a bit from Sword Art Online
There's a reason for that. I watched the series several months back and enjoyed it as well, although the first season ended up being much smaller in scope than I would have liked. It doesn't sound like a second season will be in the works any time soon.

I'm only watching three of the summer shows at the moment, ALDNOAH.ZERO (which has been a lot of fun from the start), Sword Art Online II (which finally kicked into gear in the fourth episode), and Glasslip (which is really, really trying my patience).
Old 08-12-14, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Think I am gonna quit on Kaze no Yojimbo, it's pretty boring.
Started Street Fighter II V tonight. I have already seen it, but it's been long enough that I want to watch it again.
Old 08-12-14, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Think I am gonna quit on Kaze no Yojimbo, it's pretty boring.
Started Street Fighter II V tonight. I have already seen it, but it's been long enough that I want to watch it again.
"Street Fighter II-V" was the first anime series I watched in its entirety when I got the fan-subs on VHS back in 1995-96. I later watched it again in its entirety when the DVDs came out from Manga Entertainment in 2001 or so. Not the best quality DVDs I've ever seen, but they were among the first anime DVDs I ever received (review copies). Did this series ever come out on Blu-ray?

I have to confess I miss the SF II-V VHS fan-subs. Maybe it's just the viewing experience I miss, but the DVDs didn't hold the same thrills for me as those episodes did when I first saw them. And it wasn't the entertainment value of the series I'm talking about. That hasn't diminished at all. The image simply looked rawer and grittier in the VHS transfer, which I think matched the tone of the series better than the cleaner look of the DVDs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.