Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts
Re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

I don't even bother recommending shows anymore unless I've seen six or seven episodes. I've been burned by a great opening arc, only for a show to spiral into nowhere.
Old 01-13-14, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by McHawkson
Golgo 13 - I really liked this series very much.
It's been well over a year since I watched this series, but I always had a great time with it, even when the laws of physics were bent or completely ignored.
Old 01-27-14, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand
Started watching Code: Breaker last night. Hulu has 13 episodes (subbed) showing as available to watch. I watched the first two and enjoyed it. Having a hard time placing it in comparison to other shows I've watched. I found it while browsing on Hulu.com and it was listed in the Anime genre, supernatural sub-genre.

I finished this on Hulu+ last night and really enjoyed it overall (except for the puppy). It looks like there are three OVAs out there as well, although it sounds like they are based more closely on the manga and "ignore" some of what happened in the anime series. The anime left the door open for a second season, but it sounds like that is pretty unlikely.
Old 01-27-14, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got Blessing Of The Campanella in the mail today.
Old 01-29-14, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm giving up on Z/X Ignition after the first episode. It could have been a cool concept (gateways to "other worlds" begin appearing on Earth, bringing invaders of various capabilities, but it turns out that the "other worlds" are actually Earth during different times in its history), but...instead we get little girls riding mechanical dinosaurs, angels and saints coming down from Heaven and squaring off against a full scale military land invasion...it's a mess.

I also started watching Kill la Kill, and while there are several things I don't like about it (animation quality, art style, everyone shouting their lines), it's at least entertaining enough to keep watching. I know it made several 2013 "best of" lists, but I'm not seeing anything that would put it on mine yet.
Old 01-29-14, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by printerati
angels and saints coming down from Heaven and squaring off against a full scale military land invasion
That actually SOUNDS awesome, but I'm guessing in the execution not so much.
Old 02-07-14, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Silver Spoon Season 2 - I thought the series just okay, but there are quite several funny moments in Season 1 but I felt it's kind of boring series.
I do find the second season to be a bit more dull than the first so far, probably due to all of the horse-related stuff, which doesn't interest me in the slightest.

I also started Accel World on Hulu+, and really love it so far. My only complaint is that I think they went way overboard on the lead character's physical traits (height, weight, looks) in the real world.
Old 02-07-14, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I've been working my way through this:

I really like almost everything from BONES, since I think they have some of the best artist/designers in anime this side of Miyazaki.
Old 02-07-14, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

While I haven't started them yet, I'm debating some old school anime. Either Space Knight Tekkaman Blade, Armored Fleet Dairugger XV, or the Japanese Transformers series, as I have all 3, Headmasters, Super God Masterforce, and Victory.
Old 02-07-14, 01:01 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Went to a "Digital Film Festival" screening of Akira last night. I'm pretty sure they just projected the new Blu-ray, but still... it was $6 and the theatre was packed.

Despite the fact that I own two copies of the film, I've never actually been able to watch the entire thing (something always got in the way... life... sleep... etc...). Anyway, I thought it was awesome and I'm glad I got to see it with an audience. I look forward to revisiting it again.
Old 02-07-14, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Love Lab, a funny series about a student council full of girls with no experience in love or boys. There are some truly LOL moments, particularly involving the president hiding her secret love doll.

Also halfway through Parallel World Samurai (at least that is what Crunchyroll calls it), a show featuring female samurai from an alternate historical timeline getting dropped in the middle of modern Japan. A lot of the episodes are self-contained, as each one focuses on a different character's journey in today's world. Pretty entertaining so far, though we'll see how it comes together.
Old 02-07-14, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Just watched Paprika, kind of like inception the anime. The ending didn't make much sense but none of this guys movie end making sense.
Old 02-08-14, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm watching Space Brothers - pretty interesting and funny. I'm in mid episode 20's and I hope it stays that way all the way (I believe it's in 90's now.)
Old 02-08-14, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Finished up Noir (it was ok), now moving on to the second part of Bee Train's girl's with guns trilogy - Madlax.
Old 02-09-14, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Engaged to the Unidentified...a 16-year-old girl finds out she's engaged to be married with a strange boy she's never met. The little sister character carries the show but it's a fun watch through the first few episodes.
Old 02-10-14, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
While I haven't started them yet, I'm debating some old school anime. Either Space Knight Tekkaman Blade, Armored Fleet Dairugger XV, or the Japanese Transformers series, as I have all 3, Headmasters, Super God Masterforce, and Victory.
I tried slugging through Headmasters, but man it's a chore.
Old 02-11-14, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I also started Accel World on Hulu+, and really love it so far. My only complaint is that I think they went way overboard on the lead character's physical traits (height, weight, looks) in the real world.
Well, I can't say it ended on a perfect note. I thought the second half of the series would focus on the larger goals, but it instead focused on dealing with an enemy introduced at the halfway point (which still led to a somewhat satisfying conclusion, and introduced a much larger enemy for a future story arc). A second season hasn't yet been confirmed as far as I know, but I would welcome it.

I also read somewhere that a second season of Log Horizon looks promising, and I think they'll need it, judging by the number of episodes left in the first season. I really like how that show is turning out.
Old 02-14-14, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I also read somewhere that a second season of Log Horizon looks promising, and I think they'll need it, judging by the number of episodes left in the first season. I really like how that show is turning out.
I was mightily entertained by its first 12 or 13 episodes. The arc when they start meeting people of the land hasn't been quite as well written.
Old 02-14-14, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I was mightily entertained by its first 12 or 13 episodes. The arc when they start meeting people of the land hasn't been quite as well written.
I agree that the discussions/negotiations have been a little convoluted and difficult to follow (similar to discussions/negotiations among world leaders in real life, I'm sure ), but I really like how things are progressing with the princess.
Old 02-22-14, 01:09 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

The season's about halfway through. And here's my 5 favorite, must see shows each week.

Witch Craft Works - I wasn't that impressed with the first episode. But it gets better and better each week. Crazy and hilarious. I can't wait to see each new episode.

World Conquest Zvezda Plot - Along with Witch Craft Works, these are my two favorite shows of the season. Both shows are flat out fun.

Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions! REN - One of KyoAni's best series. Season 2 is as good as the first one.

Engaged to the Unidentified - Mashiro and Benio are hilarious. The comedy is excellent, but I wish there was a little more to the romance. They've been dropping bombshells the past couple weeks, moving the story along at a brisk pace. So I expect the romance to pick-up.

Noragami - Normally this isn't my type of show, but I really like it. The characters are interesting, the storyline is intriguing, and the comedy is great even though it's more of an action show.

I'm also enjoying D-Frag, Inari Kon Kon, Nisekoi, Silver Spoon, and Tonari no Seki-kun.

If you're not watching Witch Craft Works and Zvezda, you should definitely check them out.
Old 02-22-14, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been watching anything that is currently airing but I am planning on giving the Higurashi series a rewatch. See if it has the same impact now that I know where the weirdness all goes in the end.

As for anime in general if you are interested here is my MAL page:

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/gswelcome
Old 02-23-14, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, as Dave said the season is halfway through and there are few I'm enjoying: Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusion! REN, World Conquest Zvezda Plot, and Silver Spoon. I'm also working on Space Brothers which is pretty good series.

I have given up on Log Horizon because the storyline has gotten bit stupid. It's like watching a bad Star Trek DS9/Voyager holodeck storyline/episode. They haven't explained why they're "trapped" in virtual world and they didn't even have helmet device like Sword Art Online. I don’t see I would continue to watch it.

Engaged to the Unidentified is just okay.
Old 02-23-14, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They haven't explained why they're "trapped" in virtual world and they didn't even have helmet device like Sword Art Online.
I actually like the fact that they spend so much time figuring out how to live in a virtual world with virtual people who are now as "real" as they are, but it is a bit strange how quickly they all seemed to resign themselves to being stuck in that new world. We still don't know what they had in the real world, either.

I am working my way through the first season of Haganai (I Don't Have Many Friends) on Hulu+, and while it's often pretty funny, it's often way over the top in terms of fanservice, and seems to be heading down the "harem" road as well.
Old 02-23-14, 07:51 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

I am working my way through the first season of Haganai (I Don't Have Many Friends) on Hulu+, and while it's often pretty funny, it's often way over the top in terms of fanservice, and seems to be heading down the "harem" road as well.
Haganai is great. Keep watching, it gets better as the characters develop. I thought the 2nd season was better than the first.
Old 02-24-14, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Keep watching, it gets better as the characters develop.
This is another (minor) complaint of mine, as there doesn't seem to be much progress with any of them once all of the club members are introduced (although it was nice to see the recap from Yozora's point of view in the final episode of season 1).

How important/relevant is the OVA that was released between the two seasons? I haven't started the second season yet.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.