Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Old 04-24-11, 09:16 PM   #1
chrisc31
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anime Figures

I started a figure collection, Does anyone have need to know info about buying figures? manufactures I should look for? other info? I don't want to buy a figure thats cheaply made or fakes.
I bought 7 Figures at Anime Boston the manufacture for all are "Furyu" I got 4 Clannad Animal ver. figures, two Angel beats figures, and a "10th Key Memorial Fes." of the girl from Air tv.
Release Date - November, 11th 2014
Old 04-25-11, 09:40 AM   #2
Dragon Fly
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Re: Anime Figures

Hey Chris! Welcome to the money pit that is figure collecting!

One of the best places you can shop is AmiAmi. I recommend them whole heartedly and they are the best importer from Japan I have used. Their prices are often the cheapest as well. Their products are 100% legit and direct from the figure manufacturer.

As far as manufacturers the better ones are Good Smile, Kotobukiya, MegaHouse, Max Factory, Orchid Seed (smut figures), and Alphamax.

I got a couple figures at Anime Boston, but one thing to watch out for is that figures in the $30 price range are often lower quality. If you want the good stuff be prepared to shell out $60+.
Old 04-25-11, 12:27 PM   #3
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

I will second AmiAmi, but be warned, they do not take kindly to canceled preorders. Also, the Yenollar ratio is absolutely awful right now, something I learned firsthand because I just paid for a shipment (I don't collect many anime figures, but I do collect tokusatsu figures and all kinds of robots, which means I mostly collect Bandai). HLJ.com is also really good and has a better ordering systems, but often can't match amiami's discounts... but they do have great sales, and they have several figure sales right now. Both ship from Japan, so make sure you factor in the higher shipping costs and time. Bigbadtoystore is a domestic store that gets a lot of imported stuff too.

It helps if you know which kinds of figures you want to collect: Do you want statues or action figures or dolls or cheaper gashopon or candy toys, and do you want realistic or Super Deformed proportions, etc.

Diamond Previews also solicits several imported figures, so you can take a look at what's offered and try to go down to your local comic book shop and preorder them (Previews shows you what's coming out approximately 2 months from now). They will frequently be cheaper than yen to dollar conversion of the Japanese retail price.
Old 04-25-11, 04:39 PM   #4
chrisc31
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Fly View Post
Hey Chris! Welcome to the money pit that is figure collecting!

One of the best places you can shop is AmiAmi. I recommend them whole heartedly and they are the best importer from Japan I have used. Their prices are often the cheapest as well. Their products are 100% legit and direct from the figure manufacturer.

As far as manufacturers the better ones are Good Smile, Kotobukiya, MegaHouse, Max Factory, Orchid Seed (smut figures), and Alphamax.

I got a couple figures at Anime Boston, but one thing to watch out for is that figures in the $30 price range are often lower quality. If you want the good stuff be prepared to shell out $60+.
Yeah I found out last night the figures from Furyu are game prizes.
I was looking at this figure from Good Smile Company and the face looks weird compaired to these figures from Wave. I still think the figures I bought made by Furyu looks the best.
This Figure from Good Smile Company I agree does look nice.

I am a game prize figure collector, I like them.

I thought these were cute.

Last edited by chrisc31; 04-25-11 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-26-11, 08:55 PM   #5
Dragon Fly
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Hey Chris! Here are some close-ups of that Yuri figure you were eyeing. I also posted my figures from Anime Boston :-)
Old 04-27-11, 04:13 PM   #6
chrisc31
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Fly View Post
Hey Chris! Here are some close-ups of that Yuri figure you were eyeing. I also posted my figures from Anime Boston :-)
The more I look at it the more I want one. Another figure I might buy is the "Kotobukiya" Clannad Fujibayashi Kyo Gym Ver Figure. I can't buy many figures.
Old 06-28-11, 01:53 PM   #7
Sid Ceaser

http://www.nutsforanimefigures.com