Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

RightStuf.com FUNimation Sale - What are your recs?

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-10, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, all! Alison from RightStuf.com de-lurking.

There's a ton of titles in the current FUNimation sale (and in the bargain bin ), so...

- What upcoming titles do you consider must-haves?

- What do you feel are overlooked gems everyone should be checking out?

- Which of the Blu-ray releases should be priorities?

Old 05-24-10, 12:07 PM

Re: RightStuf.com FUNimation Sale - What are your recs?

Of the upcoming releases, I'm really excited about Casshern Sins. (I was a little bummed we don't have cover art for it yet... otherwise, you might have seen it in the sales picks. LOL)
Old 05-24-10, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by AlisonR

There's a ton of titles in the current FUNimation sale (and in the bargain bin ), so...

I'm a big fan of NANA. But I can't find Box Set #4 in any stores around here (NYC).

And where the heck is the newest Pokemon movie?

Of series that may not be licensed yet, I'm eager to see "Tale of Genji," a recent anime series based on the classic novel. It got a good write-up in Otaku USA and I'd love for it to be released here.
Old 05-24-10, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts

Samurai 7
Such a great show.
Old 05-24-10, 02:34 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 541 Likes on 475 Posts

Hi!
I highly recommend looking through the S.A.V.E. releases (MSRP @ $29.98, $19.98, or $9.98). Some of them are repriced releases while others get new packaging. The best of the bunch include [MSRP] 009-1 ($19.98), Air TV ($19.98) / Air the Motion Picture ($9.98), BECK ($29.98), Big Windup! ($19.98), Galaxy Railways ($29.98), Hell Girl S1 ($29.98), Moon Phase ($29.98), Project Blue Earth SOS ($29.98), Pumpkin Scissors ($29.98), Solty Rei ($29.98), Str.A.In.: Strategic Armored Infantry ($29.98)

Other none-S.A.V.E. series in boxset(s) that should be looked into depending on your taste include Baccano!, Coyote Ragtime Show, Darker than BLACK (S1), Desert Punk, Dragon Ball season sets, Dragon Ball Z Dragon boxes, Dragon Ball Z Kai sets (DVD or BD), Evangelion Neon Genesis: 1.11 (DVD or BD), Fruits Basket, Full Metal Panic! (DVD or BD), Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid (DVD or BD), Fullmetal Alchemist, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (DVD or BD), Gankutsuou (soon to be S.A.V.E.), Ghost Hunt, Gunslinger Girl S1 (DVD or BD), Heroic Age (DVD or BD), Jyu-Oh-Sei, KenIchi - The Mightiest Disciple, Kiddy Grade, Kurau - Phantom Memory, Last Exile, Le Chevalier d'Eon, Love Hina, Mushi-Shi, One Piece (S1 to S3 thus far...), Origin: Spirits of the Past (DVD or BD), Ouran High School Host Club (DVD or BD), Red Garden, RIN (DVD or BD), Romeo x Juliet, Rumbling Hearts (soon to be S.A.V.E.), Samurai 7 (DVD or BD), School Rumble: Most Awesomest Collection, Shuffle!, Slayers S1 to S3, Speed Grapher, Spice and Wolf S1, Strike Witches, Tsubasa - RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE: Collected Memories, Utawarerumono, Vandread (Ultimate), X (TV), xxxHOLiC,...

Other half season set(s) that could be looked into include Bamboo Blade, Casshern Sins (DVD or BD), El Cazador de la Bruja, Tower of Druaga,...
El Cazador de la Bruja, Heroic Age, Jyu-Oh-Sei, KenIchi - The Mightiest Disciple, Tower of Druaga
Casshern Sins could be one. Eden of the East would be another if September's solicitations get listed. FMA: Brotherhood and Dragon Ball Z Kai could be big for some. There is always Evangelion 1.11...
Old 05-24-10, 02:37 PM
WTK

Of the upcoming releases, I'm really excited about Casshern Sins. (I was a little bummed we don't have cover art for it yet... otherwise, you might have seen it in the sales picks. LOL)
What's up with that? I had ask DLK about that too (for the FUNi August releases). You would think that FUNimation would be providing all the stuff like cover arts for a sale such as this. Heck they even posted the sale on the FUNi blog.
Old 05-24-10, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am going to get Bamboo Blade.
Old 05-25-10, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by WTK
What's up with that? I had ask DLK about that too (for the FUNi August releases). You would think that FUNimation would be providing all the stuff like cover arts for a sale such as this. Heck they even posted the sale on the FUNi blog.
That usually means that the packaging is still running through the approval process with the licensor. We battle this ourselves. It's one of the side effects of the faster turnarounds we have to make these days. ^_^;
Old 05-26-10, 08:31 AM
WTK

That usually means that the packaging is still running through the approval process with the licensor. We battle this ourselves. It's one of the side effects of the faster turnarounds we have to make these days. ^_^;
That's definitely true.

And something else unrelated...hopefully September's solicitations find its way of getting listed.
Old 06-03-10, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Hmm... wish I saw this thread before the sale ended. I did end up ordering, on Blu, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and Casshern Sins. What happened to Linebarrels of Iron v.2, I was suprised it wasn't solicited yet...

Holding off on Kai because I'm still getting the Dragon Boxes, and I figure I'm not going to watch it anytime soon anyway (nor do I think it'll go out of print in the meantime anyway). I'm also behind enough that if I haven't started a non-Blu series, I'll just wait... most recently I picked up Romeo x Juliet sets 1 and 2, and now the complete series is out for the same price as one of those sets. And I have a Tsubasa set 1 that hasn't even been watched ,and the complete set is already out and cheaper.

edited to add: I guess the sale is still going on today, I just assumed that it ended before the Yen Press one started...

Last edited by fujishig; 06-03-10 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-03-10, 07:17 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by fujishig
What happened to Linebarrels of Iron v.2, I was suprised it wasn't solicited yet...
I'm not sure. Materials delays? Artwork issues? It's hard to say.
Holding off on Kai because I'm still getting the Dragon Boxes, and I figure I'm not going to watch it anytime soon anyway (nor do I think it'll go out of print in the meantime anyway). I'm also behind enough that if I haven't started a non-Blu series, I'll just wait... most recently I picked up Romeo x Juliet sets 1 and 2, and now the complete series is out for the same price as one of those sets. And I have a Tsubasa set 1 that hasn't even been watched ,and the complete set is already out and cheaper.
If you don't watch the releases (half season sets and such) right away, you are pretty much better off waiting. Complete collections or the re-releases (like S.A.V.E.) can be had for a number of releases @ a cheaper rate.